Re: [NTO] IE7 Beta2 public release

  • Don - htmlfixit.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 2, 2006
      sisterscape wrote:
      > --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Don - htmlfixit.com" <don@...>
      > wrote:
      >
      >>Lol, Firefox released 1.5.0.1. Get a real browser ;-)
      >>I at one time had 4,5,6 all running at once. I have not bothered
      >
      > with
      >
      >>7. It is so slim a number of users that it just isn't worth it.
      > Hmmm, Don. I thought you, of all people, would 'get' the drift of
      > this post. It has nothing to do with personal browser preference.
      > It is about designers being prepared for the transition from IE6 to
      > IE7.
      >
      > When Vista is released and IE6 no longer being distributed on all
      > those new computers, I really don't want the pressure of having to
      > fix things after the fact. Unless there is a major shift in the
      > market, it is unlikely that the majority of users out there will ever
      > use FF or Opera or [insert browser of your choice]. I just wanted to
      > give y'all a heads-up and a jump start on the headache this will
      > likely create for designers on this list.
      >
      > sisterscape

      Sister,

      I knew what you were talking about ... that "get a browser" was said
      tongue in cheek in jest.
      Humor sometimes misses the mark in email and perhaps I didn't get the
      punchline correct.

      I had this very conversation with a client today:
      Why code for seven when nobody has it yet? ... Because every new
      computer will have it in about 3 months ... so why have to fix pages
      later? Oh. End of conversation. I went to download it and realize my
      main two computers won't run it ... Win NT and Win 2000. But I am
      slowly equipping a new laptop, so I'll run it on that. I am wondering
      from what my client said if in fact they fixed the broken box model so
      that the same code will work on it as already works on Firefox. What
      are you figuring out?

      Sorry if I caused confusion.

      Don
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 2, 2006
        Don wrote:
        >I am wondering from what my client said if in fact they fixed the broken
        >box model so that the same code will work on it as already works on
        >Firefox. What are you figuring out?

        Don, they fixed that four or five years ago already. Just go ahead and use it.

        Lotta
      • Don - htmlfixit.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 2, 2006
          loro wrote:
          > Don wrote:
          >
          >>I am wondering from what my client said if in fact they fixed the broken
          >>box model so that the same code will work on it as already works on
          >>Firefox. What are you figuring out?
          >

          > Don, they fixed that four or five years ago already. Just go ahead and use it.
          >
          > Lotta

          Lotta, you are much smarter than me on such issues as CSS (or more
          learned is a better term perhaps). I still find that when I create
          menus for example in css that I need to change the dimensions in IE vs
          Firefox to get it to work properly. I call this the broken box model
          because I continue to think it is becuase the padding/margin/div size
          aren't treated the same in opera/firefox vs ie. Perhaps I am wrong, but
          I definately have to feed diff. widths to IE for it to work right. All
          insight appreciated or wise woman :-)

          Don
        • sisterscape
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 2, 2006
            Could this be your problem?

            "IE has a double margin bug on the side of a float nearest either the
            windows (or containers) edge. This means that the first float next to
            the left side or right of a window will get its right or left margin
            doubled. Subsequent floats are not affected.

            The solution is to add display:inline to the float which for some
            strange reason fixes ie. It is however ignored by all other browsers
            because you can't actually make a float display:inline as it's hard
            coded as display:block all the time by default. This means its safe to
            use and will have no ill effects."

            Or this?

            "IE always adds about 3 pixels of padding around floats when aligned
            next to static content (floats next to floats are ok and don't have
            this problem which is why people will put floats together to avoid the
            problem.)"

            Read more at:
            http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1374925&postcount=15

            --- "Don - htmlfixit.com" <don@...> wrote:

            > loro wrote:
            > > Don wrote:
            > >
            > >>I am wondering from what my client said if in fact they fixed the
            > broken
            > >>box model so that the same code will work on it as already works on
            >
            > >>Firefox. What are you figuring out?
            > >

            > > Don, they fixed that four or five years ago already. Just go ahead
            > and use it.
            > >
            > > Lotta
            > >
            > Lotta, you are much smarter than me on such issues as CSS (or more
            > learned is a better term perhaps). I still find that when I create
            > menus for example in css that I need to change the dimensions in IE
            > vs
            > Firefox to get it to work properly. I call this the broken box model
            >
            > because I continue to think it is becuase the padding/margin/div size
            >
            > aren't treated the same in opera/firefox vs ie. Perhaps I am wrong,
            > but
            > I definately have to feed diff. widths to IE for it to work right.
            > All
            > insight appreciated or wise woman :-)
            >
            > Don

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • dave
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 2, 2006
              hi
              has anyone read this site good read
              http://msdn.microsoft.com/ie/releasenotes/default.aspx
              THANKYOU DAVE M

              >>I am wondering from what my client said if in fact they fixed the broken
              >>box model so that the same code will work on it as already works on
              >>Firefox. What are you figuring out?
              >
              > Don, they fixed that four or five years ago already. Just go ahead and use
              > it.
              >
              > Lotta
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • sisterscape
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 2, 2006
                Here's another thought. Browser have different default margins and
                padding for elements. It's a good idea to set everythign to 0 in
                your stylesheet like this:

                * {

                }
                > --- "Don - htmlfixit.com" <don@...> wrote:
                >
                > > loro wrote:

                > > broken

                > > > Don, they fixed that four or five years ago already. Just go
                ahead
                > > and use it.
                > > >
                > > > Lotta
                > > >
                > > Lotta, you are much smarter than me on such issues as CSS (or
                more
                > > learned is a better term perhaps). I still find that when I
                create
                > > menus for example in css that I need to change the dimensions in
                IE
                > > vs
                > > Firefox to get it to work properly. I call this the broken box
                model

                > > because I continue to think it is becuase the padding/margin/div
                size

                > > aren't treated the same in opera/firefox vs ie. Perhaps I am
                wrong,
                > > but
                > > I definately have to feed diff. widths to IE for it to work
                right.
                > > All
                > > insight appreciated or wise woman :-)
                > >
                > > Don

                > http://mail.yahoo.com

              • sisterscape
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 2, 2006
                  Here's another thought. Browser have different default margins and
                  padding for elements. It's a good idea to set everythign to 0 in
                  your stylesheet like this:

                  * {

                  }
                  > --- "Don - htmlfixit.com" <don@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > loro wrote:

                  > > broken

                  > > > Don, they fixed that four or five years ago already. Just go
                  ahead
                  > > and use it.
                  > > >
                  > > > Lotta
                  > > >
                  > > Lotta, you are much smarter than me on such issues as CSS (or
                  more
                  > > learned is a better term perhaps). I still find that when I
                  create
                  > > menus for example in css that I need to change the dimensions in
                  IE
                  > > vs
                  > > Firefox to get it to work properly. I call this the broken box
                  model

                  > > because I continue to think it is becuase the padding/margin/div
                  size

                  > > aren't treated the same in opera/firefox vs ie. Perhaps I am
                  wrong,
                  > > but
                  > > I definately have to feed diff. widths to IE for it to work
                  right.
                  > > All
                  > > insight appreciated or wise woman :-)
                  > >
                  > > Don

                  > http://mail.yahoo.com

                • sisterscape
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 2, 2006
                    Ignore the last post. It was sent accidently. Here it is again and
                    complete this time . . . hopefully.

                    Here's another thought. Browsers have different default margins and
                    padding for elements. It's a good idea to set everything to 0 in
                    your stylesheet like this:

                    * {
                    padding: 0 ;
                    margin: 0 ;
                    }

                    I always put that right after the body styles.

                    sisterscape

                    > > --- "Don - htmlfixit.com" <don@> wrote:
                    > > > >
                    > > > Lotta, you are much smarter than me on such issues as CSS (or
                    > more
                    > > > learned is a better term perhaps). I still find that when I
                    > create
                    > > > menus for example in css that I need to change the dimensions
                    in
                    > IE
                    > > > vs
                    > > > Firefox to get it to work properly. I call this the broken box
                    > model
                    > > >
                    > > > because I continue to think it is becuase the
                    padding/margin/div
                    > size
                    > > >
                    > > > aren't treated the same in opera/firefox vs ie. Perhaps I am
                    > wrong,
                    > > > but
                    > > > I definately have to feed diff. widths to IE for it to work
                    > right.
                    > > > All
                    > > > insight appreciated or wise woman :-)
                    > > >
                    > > > Don

                  • sisterscape
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 2, 2006
                      I've decided that I'm going to wait a bit before starting to rewrite
                      code because there are so many bugs in it right now. When things get
                      more sorted out some months down the line, I'll probably try to do a
                      side-by-side version to begin testing. I suspect the final release
                      won't be till the end of the year at the earliest. Since IE7
                      currently breaks Juno, I can't overwrite IE6 in any case.

                      On the MSDN blog it seems there are still some problems with
                      margins/padding under certain circumstances. Hopefully that will get
                      fixed. I usually avoid the box model problem by adding a separate
                      div for padding rather than including it with the parent element.
                      Those extra divs have saved BIG headaches.