Problem with WD hd

  • Ed
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 2, 2006
      I have a 200 gig Western Digital Hard Drive. When I run their HD setup cd it only recognizes 137 g. Is there away to make it say the whole 200 gigs.
      Ed
      If your dog is fat, you aren't getting enough exercise.
      -Unknown

    • John Mitchell
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2, 2006

        Ed. See http://www.48bitlba.com/
        --
        Regards, John M
      • acummingsus
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2, 2006
          --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Ed" <ebrown1927@...> wrote:

          > I have a 200 gig Western Digital Hard Drive. When I run their HD
          setup cd it only recognizes 137 g. Is there away to make it say the
          whole 200 gigs.

          I recently had the same prob with a Seagate 300 gig SATA drive and Win 2K.

          Finally I first got the correct driver (from the cd disk that came
          with the HD) installed. (evidently due to the older age of Win 2K
          versus the much newer 300 gig SATA drive -- there's no driver in the
          Win 2K driver base of drivers that would work)

          It was only after installing the correct driver from CD disk that then
          that some setup utility on the same CD was able to detect that the 48
          bit addressing needed to be enabled in the windows registry and
          offered me a yes/no choice I chose yes to enable 48 bit it prompted me
          to reboot and now all is fine, detected as 300 gig.

          --
          Alan.
        • dave
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 2, 2006
            Hi
            you may have the wrong disc selected make sure ,what operating system do you
            plan on useing ??
            THANKYOU DAVE M

            Ed. See http://www.48bitlba.com/
            --
            Regards, John M

          • Ed
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 3, 2006
              I removed power from the other hard drive, problem solved, the cable to the
              master hard drive was bad. Replace with a new cable and everything is
              working now. Thanks.
              Ed