Re: [NTO] IE7 Beta2 public release

  • sisterscape
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 2, 2006
      --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Fay Johnston" <feigh@...> wrote:

      > Word of warning: I ran the IE7b1 standalone and it wrought havoc with
      > IE6--made it unusable-- and messed up a few other things. It took
      registry
      > editing to get back to square one. I'm too scared now to even put 5
      back!

      I also went though the nightmare that the December updates created with
      IE 7. It did not however, affect my standalone versions of IE 5 and
      5.5.
    • sisterscape
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 2, 2006
        --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Don - htmlfixit.com" <don@...>
        wrote:

        > Lol, Firefox released 1.5.0.1. Get a real browser ;-)
        > I at one time had 4,5,6 all running at once. I have not bothered
        with
        > 7. It is so slim a number of users that it just isn't worth it.

        Hmmm, Don. I thought you, of all people, would 'get' the drift of
        this post. It has nothing to do with personal browser preference.
        It is about designers being prepared for the transition from IE6 to
        IE7.

        When Vista is released and IE6 no longer being distributed on all
        those new computers, I really don't want the pressure of having to
        fix things after the fact. Unless there is a major shift in the
        market, it is unlikely that the majority of users out there will ever
        use FF or Opera or [insert browser of your choice]. I just wanted to
        give y'all a heads-up and a jump start on the headache this will
        likely create for designers on this list.

        sisterscape
      • Don - htmlfixit.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 2, 2006
          sisterscape wrote:
          > --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Don - htmlfixit.com" <don@...>
          > wrote:
          >
          >>Lol, Firefox released 1.5.0.1. Get a real browser ;-)
          >>I at one time had 4,5,6 all running at once. I have not bothered
          >
          > with
          >
          >>7. It is so slim a number of users that it just isn't worth it.
          > Hmmm, Don. I thought you, of all people, would 'get' the drift of
          > this post. It has nothing to do with personal browser preference.
          > It is about designers being prepared for the transition from IE6 to
          > IE7.
          >
          > When Vista is released and IE6 no longer being distributed on all
          > those new computers, I really don't want the pressure of having to
          > fix things after the fact. Unless there is a major shift in the
          > market, it is unlikely that the majority of users out there will ever
          > use FF or Opera or [insert browser of your choice]. I just wanted to
          > give y'all a heads-up and a jump start on the headache this will
          > likely create for designers on this list.
          >
          > sisterscape

          Sister,

          I knew what you were talking about ... that "get a browser" was said
          tongue in cheek in jest.
          Humor sometimes misses the mark in email and perhaps I didn't get the
          punchline correct.

          I had this very conversation with a client today:
          Why code for seven when nobody has it yet? ... Because every new
          computer will have it in about 3 months ... so why have to fix pages
          later? Oh. End of conversation. I went to download it and realize my
          main two computers won't run it ... Win NT and Win 2000. But I am
          slowly equipping a new laptop, so I'll run it on that. I am wondering
          from what my client said if in fact they fixed the broken box model so
          that the same code will work on it as already works on Firefox. What
          are you figuring out?

          Sorry if I caused confusion.

          Don
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 2, 2006
            Don wrote:
            >I am wondering from what my client said if in fact they fixed the broken
            >box model so that the same code will work on it as already works on
            >Firefox. What are you figuring out?

            Don, they fixed that four or five years ago already. Just go ahead and use it.

            Lotta
          • Don - htmlfixit.com
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 2, 2006
              loro wrote:
              > Don wrote:
              >
              >>I am wondering from what my client said if in fact they fixed the broken
              >>box model so that the same code will work on it as already works on
              >>Firefox. What are you figuring out?
              >

              > Don, they fixed that four or five years ago already. Just go ahead and use it.
              >
              > Lotta

              Lotta, you are much smarter than me on such issues as CSS (or more
              learned is a better term perhaps). I still find that when I create
              menus for example in css that I need to change the dimensions in IE vs
              Firefox to get it to work properly. I call this the broken box model
              because I continue to think it is becuase the padding/margin/div size
              aren't treated the same in opera/firefox vs ie. Perhaps I am wrong, but
              I definately have to feed diff. widths to IE for it to work right. All
              insight appreciated or wise woman :-)

              Don
            • sisterscape
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 2, 2006
                Could this be your problem?

                "IE has a double margin bug on the side of a float nearest either the
                windows (or containers) edge. This means that the first float next to
                the left side or right of a window will get its right or left margin
                doubled. Subsequent floats are not affected.

                The solution is to add display:inline to the float which for some
                strange reason fixes ie. It is however ignored by all other browsers
                because you can't actually make a float display:inline as it's hard
                coded as display:block all the time by default. This means its safe to
                use and will have no ill effects."

                Or this?

                "IE always adds about 3 pixels of padding around floats when aligned
                next to static content (floats next to floats are ok and don't have
                this problem which is why people will put floats together to avoid the
                problem.)"

                Read more at:
                http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1374925&postcount=15

                --- "Don - htmlfixit.com" <don@...> wrote:

                > loro wrote:
                > > Don wrote:
                > >
                > >>I am wondering from what my client said if in fact they fixed the
                > broken
                > >>box model so that the same code will work on it as already works on
                >
                > >>Firefox. What are you figuring out?
                > >

                > > Don, they fixed that four or five years ago already. Just go ahead
                > and use it.
                > >
                > > Lotta
                > >
                > Lotta, you are much smarter than me on such issues as CSS (or more
                > learned is a better term perhaps). I still find that when I create
                > menus for example in css that I need to change the dimensions in IE
                > vs
                > Firefox to get it to work properly. I call this the broken box model
                >
                > because I continue to think it is becuase the padding/margin/div size
                >
                > aren't treated the same in opera/firefox vs ie. Perhaps I am wrong,
                > but
                > I definately have to feed diff. widths to IE for it to work right.
                > All
                > insight appreciated or wise woman :-)
                >
                > Don

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • dave
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 2, 2006
                  hi
                  has anyone read this site good read
                  http://msdn.microsoft.com/ie/releasenotes/default.aspx
                  THANKYOU DAVE M

                  >>I am wondering from what my client said if in fact they fixed the broken
                  >>box model so that the same code will work on it as already works on
                  >>Firefox. What are you figuring out?
                  >
                  > Don, they fixed that four or five years ago already. Just go ahead and use
                  > it.
                  >
                  > Lotta
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • sisterscape
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 2, 2006
                    Here's another thought. Browser have different default margins and
                    padding for elements. It's a good idea to set everythign to 0 in
                    your stylesheet like this:

                    * {

                    }
                    > --- "Don - htmlfixit.com" <don@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > loro wrote:

                    > > broken

                    > > > Don, they fixed that four or five years ago already. Just go
                    ahead
                    > > and use it.
                    > > >
                    > > > Lotta
                    > > >
                    > > Lotta, you are much smarter than me on such issues as CSS (or
                    more
                    > > learned is a better term perhaps). I still find that when I
                    create
                    > > menus for example in css that I need to change the dimensions in
                    IE
                    > > vs
                    > > Firefox to get it to work properly. I call this the broken box
                    model

                    > > because I continue to think it is becuase the padding/margin/div
                    size

                    > > aren't treated the same in opera/firefox vs ie. Perhaps I am
                    wrong,
                    > > but
                    > > I definately have to feed diff. widths to IE for it to work
                    right.
                    > > All
                    > > insight appreciated or wise woman :-)
                    > >
                    > > Don

                    > http://mail.yahoo.com

                  • sisterscape
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 2, 2006
                      Here's another thought. Browser have different default margins and
                      padding for elements. It's a good idea to set everythign to 0 in
                      your stylesheet like this:

                      * {

                      }
                      > --- "Don - htmlfixit.com" <don@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > loro wrote:

                      > > broken

                      > > > Don, they fixed that four or five years ago already. Just go
                      ahead
                      > > and use it.
                      > > >
                      > > > Lotta
                      > > >
                      > > Lotta, you are much smarter than me on such issues as CSS (or
                      more
                      > > learned is a better term perhaps). I still find that when I
                      create
                      > > menus for example in css that I need to change the dimensions in
                      IE
                      > > vs
                      > > Firefox to get it to work properly. I call this the broken box
                      model

                      > > because I continue to think it is becuase the padding/margin/div
                      size

                      > > aren't treated the same in opera/firefox vs ie. Perhaps I am
                      wrong,
                      > > but
                      > > I definately have to feed diff. widths to IE for it to work
                      right.
                      > > All
                      > > insight appreciated or wise woman :-)
                      > >
                      > > Don

                      > http://mail.yahoo.com

                    • sisterscape
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 2, 2006
                        Ignore the last post. It was sent accidently. Here it is again and
                        complete this time . . . hopefully.

                        Here's another thought. Browsers have different default margins and
                        padding for elements. It's a good idea to set everything to 0 in
                        your stylesheet like this:

                        * {
                        padding: 0 ;
                        margin: 0 ;
                        }

                        I always put that right after the body styles.

                        sisterscape

                        > > --- "Don - htmlfixit.com" <don@> wrote:
                        > > > >
                        > > > Lotta, you are much smarter than me on such issues as CSS (or
                        > more
                        > > > learned is a better term perhaps). I still find that when I
                        > create
                        > > > menus for example in css that I need to change the dimensions
                        in
                        > IE
                        > > > vs
                        > > > Firefox to get it to work properly. I call this the broken box
                        > model
                        > > >
                        > > > because I continue to think it is becuase the
                        padding/margin/div
                        > size
                        > > >
                        > > > aren't treated the same in opera/firefox vs ie. Perhaps I am
                        > wrong,
                        > > > but
                        > > > I definately have to feed diff. widths to IE for it to work
                        > right.
                        > > > All
                        > > > insight appreciated or wise woman :-)
                        > > >
                        > > > Don

                      • sisterscape
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 2, 2006
                          I've decided that I'm going to wait a bit before starting to rewrite
                          code because there are so many bugs in it right now. When things get
                          more sorted out some months down the line, I'll probably try to do a
                          side-by-side version to begin testing. I suspect the final release
                          won't be till the end of the year at the earliest. Since IE7
                          currently breaks Juno, I can't overwrite IE6 in any case.

                          On the MSDN blog it seems there are still some problems with
                          margins/padding under certain circumstances. Hopefully that will get
                          fixed. I usually avoid the box model problem by adding a separate
                          div for padding rather than including it with the parent element.
                          Those extra divs have saved BIG headaches.