Re: [NTO] IE7 Beta2 public release

  • Don - htmlfixit.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 2, 2006
      Fay Johnston wrote:
      > sisterscape wrote:
      >

      >>IE7 Beta2 was released yesterday -
      >>Some hacks are emerging to
      >>run it in side-by-side mode but haven't sorted out enough for me to
      >>feel comfortable taking the plunge.
      >

      > Word of warning: I ran the IE7b1 standalone and it wrought havoc with
      > IE6--made it unusable-- and messed up a few other things. It took registry
      > editing to get back to square one. I'm too scared now to even put 5 back!

      Lol, Firefox released 1.5.0.1. Get a real browser ;-)
      I at one time had 4,5,6 all running at once. I have not bothered with
      7. It is so slim a number of users that it just isn't worth it.

      It appears that IE 6 runs from 75% down to about 50% depending on type
      of site. The more technical the site the more people on Firefox because
      those users understand the true risk of using Internet Explorer when
      connected to the internet. 4 is basically non-existant and 5 is pretty
      slim as well. I do not think it worth hacking for either of these
      UNLESS your client is still using one for some reason that you cannot
      dissuade them of.

      Firefox appears to run about 7% on the low end up to nearly 50% on some
      web design sites.

      Despite the move to free, Opera appears to be left behind in all but
      niche markets.
    • Don - htmlfixit.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 2, 2006
        PS. Firefox 1.5.0.1 was released quietly overnight. If you update it
        will disallow a bunch of your extensions as they apparently didn't share
        with the developers the concept of a new release in the pipeline.
      • Ed
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 2, 2006
          Don htmlfixit wrote:
          Firefox appears to run about 7% on the low end up to nearly 50% on some
          web design sites.

          Despite the move to free, Opera appears to be left behind in all but
          niche markets.
          Don,
          Do you know how easy it is to break into Opera. I like it in general better than firefox. I have to use IE 6 in order to upgrade my XP Pro. That is about the only place that I use it now. Just got Firefox downloaded and working on this Notebook where I now do 80% of my work now.
          Ed

        • sisterscape
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 2, 2006
            --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Fay Johnston" <feigh@...> wrote:

            > Word of warning: I ran the IE7b1 standalone and it wrought havoc with
            > IE6--made it unusable-- and messed up a few other things. It took
            registry
            > editing to get back to square one. I'm too scared now to even put 5
            back!

            I also went though the nightmare that the December updates created with
            IE 7. It did not however, affect my standalone versions of IE 5 and
            5.5.
          • sisterscape
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 2, 2006
              --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Don - htmlfixit.com" <don@...>
              wrote:

              > Lol, Firefox released 1.5.0.1. Get a real browser ;-)
              > I at one time had 4,5,6 all running at once. I have not bothered
              with
              > 7. It is so slim a number of users that it just isn't worth it.

              Hmmm, Don. I thought you, of all people, would 'get' the drift of
              this post. It has nothing to do with personal browser preference.
              It is about designers being prepared for the transition from IE6 to
              IE7.

              When Vista is released and IE6 no longer being distributed on all
              those new computers, I really don't want the pressure of having to
              fix things after the fact. Unless there is a major shift in the
              market, it is unlikely that the majority of users out there will ever
              use FF or Opera or [insert browser of your choice]. I just wanted to
              give y'all a heads-up and a jump start on the headache this will
              likely create for designers on this list.

              sisterscape
            • Don - htmlfixit.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 2, 2006
                sisterscape wrote:
                > --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Don - htmlfixit.com" <don@...>
                > wrote:
                >
                >>Lol, Firefox released 1.5.0.1. Get a real browser ;-)
                >>I at one time had 4,5,6 all running at once. I have not bothered
                >
                > with
                >
                >>7. It is so slim a number of users that it just isn't worth it.
                > Hmmm, Don. I thought you, of all people, would 'get' the drift of
                > this post. It has nothing to do with personal browser preference.
                > It is about designers being prepared for the transition from IE6 to
                > IE7.
                >
                > When Vista is released and IE6 no longer being distributed on all
                > those new computers, I really don't want the pressure of having to
                > fix things after the fact. Unless there is a major shift in the
                > market, it is unlikely that the majority of users out there will ever
                > use FF or Opera or [insert browser of your choice]. I just wanted to
                > give y'all a heads-up and a jump start on the headache this will
                > likely create for designers on this list.
                >
                > sisterscape

                Sister,

                I knew what you were talking about ... that "get a browser" was said
                tongue in cheek in jest.
                Humor sometimes misses the mark in email and perhaps I didn't get the
                punchline correct.

                I had this very conversation with a client today:
                Why code for seven when nobody has it yet? ... Because every new
                computer will have it in about 3 months ... so why have to fix pages
                later? Oh. End of conversation. I went to download it and realize my
                main two computers won't run it ... Win NT and Win 2000. But I am
                slowly equipping a new laptop, so I'll run it on that. I am wondering
                from what my client said if in fact they fixed the broken box model so
                that the same code will work on it as already works on Firefox. What
                are you figuring out?

                Sorry if I caused confusion.

                Don
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 2, 2006
                  Don wrote:
                  >I am wondering from what my client said if in fact they fixed the broken
                  >box model so that the same code will work on it as already works on
                  >Firefox. What are you figuring out?

                  Don, they fixed that four or five years ago already. Just go ahead and use it.

                  Lotta
                • Don - htmlfixit.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 2, 2006
                    loro wrote:
                    > Don wrote:
                    >
                    >>I am wondering from what my client said if in fact they fixed the broken
                    >>box model so that the same code will work on it as already works on
                    >>Firefox. What are you figuring out?
                    >

                    > Don, they fixed that four or five years ago already. Just go ahead and use it.
                    >
                    > Lotta

                    Lotta, you are much smarter than me on such issues as CSS (or more
                    learned is a better term perhaps). I still find that when I create
                    menus for example in css that I need to change the dimensions in IE vs
                    Firefox to get it to work properly. I call this the broken box model
                    because I continue to think it is becuase the padding/margin/div size
                    aren't treated the same in opera/firefox vs ie. Perhaps I am wrong, but
                    I definately have to feed diff. widths to IE for it to work right. All
                    insight appreciated or wise woman :-)

                    Don
                  • sisterscape
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 2, 2006
                      Could this be your problem?

                      "IE has a double margin bug on the side of a float nearest either the
                      windows (or containers) edge. This means that the first float next to
                      the left side or right of a window will get its right or left margin
                      doubled. Subsequent floats are not affected.

                      The solution is to add display:inline to the float which for some
                      strange reason fixes ie. It is however ignored by all other browsers
                      because you can't actually make a float display:inline as it's hard
                      coded as display:block all the time by default. This means its safe to
                      use and will have no ill effects."

                      Or this?

                      "IE always adds about 3 pixels of padding around floats when aligned
                      next to static content (floats next to floats are ok and don't have
                      this problem which is why people will put floats together to avoid the
                      problem.)"

                      Read more at:
                      http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1374925&postcount=15

                      --- "Don - htmlfixit.com" <don@...> wrote:

                      > loro wrote:
                      > > Don wrote:
                      > >
                      > >>I am wondering from what my client said if in fact they fixed the
                      > broken
                      > >>box model so that the same code will work on it as already works on
                      >
                      > >>Firefox. What are you figuring out?
                      > >

                      > > Don, they fixed that four or five years ago already. Just go ahead
                      > and use it.
                      > >
                      > > Lotta
                      > >
                      > Lotta, you are much smarter than me on such issues as CSS (or more
                      > learned is a better term perhaps). I still find that when I create
                      > menus for example in css that I need to change the dimensions in IE
                      > vs
                      > Firefox to get it to work properly. I call this the broken box model
                      >
                      > because I continue to think it is becuase the padding/margin/div size
                      >
                      > aren't treated the same in opera/firefox vs ie. Perhaps I am wrong,
                      > but
                      > I definately have to feed diff. widths to IE for it to work right.
                      > All
                      > insight appreciated or wise woman :-)
                      >
                      > Don

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • dave
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 2, 2006
                        hi
                        has anyone read this site good read
                        http://msdn.microsoft.com/ie/releasenotes/default.aspx
                        THANKYOU DAVE M

                        >>I am wondering from what my client said if in fact they fixed the broken
                        >>box model so that the same code will work on it as already works on
                        >>Firefox. What are you figuring out?
                        >
                        > Don, they fixed that four or five years ago already. Just go ahead and use
                        > it.
                        >
                        > Lotta
                        >

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • sisterscape
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 2, 2006
                          Here's another thought. Browser have different default margins and
                          padding for elements. It's a good idea to set everythign to 0 in
                          your stylesheet like this:

                          * {

                          }
                          > --- "Don - htmlfixit.com" <don@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > loro wrote:

                          > > broken

                          > > > Don, they fixed that four or five years ago already. Just go
                          ahead
                          > > and use it.
                          > > >
                          > > > Lotta
                          > > >
                          > > Lotta, you are much smarter than me on such issues as CSS (or
                          more
                          > > learned is a better term perhaps). I still find that when I
                          create
                          > > menus for example in css that I need to change the dimensions in
                          IE
                          > > vs
                          > > Firefox to get it to work properly. I call this the broken box
                          model

                          > > because I continue to think it is becuase the padding/margin/div
                          size

                          > > aren't treated the same in opera/firefox vs ie. Perhaps I am
                          wrong,
                          > > but
                          > > I definately have to feed diff. widths to IE for it to work
                          right.
                          > > All
                          > > insight appreciated or wise woman :-)
                          > >
                          > > Don

                          > http://mail.yahoo.com

                        • sisterscape
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 2, 2006
                            Here's another thought. Browser have different default margins and
                            padding for elements. It's a good idea to set everythign to 0 in
                            your stylesheet like this:

                            * {

                            }
                            > --- "Don - htmlfixit.com" <don@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > loro wrote:

                            > > broken

                            > > > Don, they fixed that four or five years ago already. Just go
                            ahead
                            > > and use it.
                            > > >
                            > > > Lotta
                            > > >
                            > > Lotta, you are much smarter than me on such issues as CSS (or
                            more
                            > > learned is a better term perhaps). I still find that when I
                            create
                            > > menus for example in css that I need to change the dimensions in
                            IE
                            > > vs
                            > > Firefox to get it to work properly. I call this the broken box
                            model

                            > > because I continue to think it is becuase the padding/margin/div
                            size

                            > > aren't treated the same in opera/firefox vs ie. Perhaps I am
                            wrong,
                            > > but
                            > > I definately have to feed diff. widths to IE for it to work
                            right.
                            > > All
                            > > insight appreciated or wise woman :-)
                            > >
                            > > Don

                            > http://mail.yahoo.com

                          • sisterscape
                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 2, 2006
                              Ignore the last post. It was sent accidently. Here it is again and
                              complete this time . . . hopefully.

                              Here's another thought. Browsers have different default margins and
                              padding for elements. It's a good idea to set everything to 0 in
                              your stylesheet like this:

                              * {
                              padding: 0 ;
                              margin: 0 ;
                              }

                              I always put that right after the body styles.

                              sisterscape

                              > > --- "Don - htmlfixit.com" <don@> wrote:
                              > > > >
                              > > > Lotta, you are much smarter than me on such issues as CSS (or
                              > more
                              > > > learned is a better term perhaps). I still find that when I
                              > create
                              > > > menus for example in css that I need to change the dimensions
                              in
                              > IE
                              > > > vs
                              > > > Firefox to get it to work properly. I call this the broken box
                              > model
                              > > >
                              > > > because I continue to think it is becuase the
                              padding/margin/div
                              > size
                              > > >
                              > > > aren't treated the same in opera/firefox vs ie. Perhaps I am
                              > wrong,
                              > > > but
                              > > > I definately have to feed diff. widths to IE for it to work
                              > right.
                              > > > All
                              > > > insight appreciated or wise woman :-)
                              > > >
                              > > > Don

                            • sisterscape
                              Message 14 of 15 , Feb 2, 2006
                                I've decided that I'm going to wait a bit before starting to rewrite
                                code because there are so many bugs in it right now. When things get
                                more sorted out some months down the line, I'll probably try to do a
                                side-by-side version to begin testing. I suspect the final release
                                won't be till the end of the year at the earliest. Since IE7
                                currently breaks Juno, I can't overwrite IE6 in any case.

                                On the MSDN blog it seems there are still some problems with
                                margins/padding under certain circumstances. Hopefully that will get
                                fixed. I usually avoid the box model problem by adding a separate
                                div for padding rather than including it with the parent element.
                                Those extra divs have saved BIG headaches.