RE: [NTO] knoppix linux

  • Greg Chapman
    Message 1 of 29 , Jan 24, 2006
      > Ed wrote:
      > > Hi
      > > Anyone here familar with Knoppix On a CD? When my starts up I
      > get this root@tty1[/]1#
      > > What am I supposed to enter after # ?

      Can't answer that and I have never tried to run any Linux but I do have a
      copy of a file:

      knowing-knoppix_2005-06-08.pdf (3.9Mb)

      which covers, in 133 very clear beginners-language pages, the installation
      of Knoppix v3.3.

      (Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document
      under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or
      any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no
      Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts. A
      copy of the license is included in the section entitled ?GNU Free
      Documentation License.)

      You might try a Google for it! I searched it for "root@tty" and it failed
      to find the term, but it looks like a good read!

      Greg
    • Ed
      Message 2 of 29 , Jan 24, 2006
        I resolved the problem which involved an old hd that was bad or else very corrupted with malware. I replaced it with a new one and it did not work. Well it worked very good for three days and then quit. Office Max replaced it and now I am up and running. Just trying to replace all the good data and images that were lost, although I do make backups and file them away somewhere. Now if I can find them. It just takes so long to put everything back on the new hd.

        I had a copy of instructions for Knoppix 2.x but they did not cover this: root@tty1[/]1#
        I think it is a root command? (the word is not really "command" but that will work) and I just needed to enter what I wanted Knoppix to do, and since the disk bad no matter what I entered nothing happened. Unless I requested something that was on Knoppix cd. When I tried loading my old Win98 or XP Pro I would repeatedly get a message that told me, that I did not have a hard drive. So I finally took it back and it was replaced. Then everything fell into place.

        I have an older, but smaller hard drive (20 gigs) that works and I am putting it into an older computer and load it with a newer version of Mandrake. Linux is good to play with but it has a long way to go to catch up with Windows. It's GUI is improving however. But using command lines is much to slow. While I am entering a command line I can be two or three steps ahead in Windows by just clicking. Now if you have to enter thirty command lines look how far ahead you can be in Windows. But is fun to play with if you have the time.

        If you are really interested in learning Linux I suggest you read this first.
        http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/altview.html I guarantee this is the absolute truth and if you are a Linux newbie you will know it is true. If you are a part of the Linux cult then you will grit your teeth in anger as the really truth about Linux is revealed. And are you prepared to compile your kernel? http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/SLIP-PPP-Emulator/preparing-your-machine.html
        The last kernel that I had was in my arm pit because a wasp had stung me. I have no idea how it was compiled but the article above will tell how easy it is to do. <G>
        Ed

        > > Anyone here familar with Knoppix On a CD? When my starts up I
        > get this root@tty1[/]1#
        > > What am I supposed to enter after # ?

        Can't answer that and I have never tried to run any Linux but I do have a
        copy of a file:

        knowing-knoppix_2005-06-08.pdf (3.9Mb)

        which covers, in 133 very clear beginners-language pages, the installation
        of Knoppix v3.3.

        (Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document
        under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or
        any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no
        Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts. A
        copy of the license is included in the section entitled ?GNU Free
        Documentation License.)

        You might try a Google for it! I searched it for "root@tty" and it failed
        to find the term, but it looks like a good read!

        Greg

        Accounting software program Estate program real software Software development program

      • acummingsus
        Message 3 of 29 , Jan 26, 2006
          --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Ed" <ebrown1927@c...> wrote:
          [ . . ]
          > Linux is good to play with but it has a long way to go to catch up
          with Windows. It's GUI is improving however. But using command lines
          is much to slow. While I am entering a command line I can be two or
          three steps ahead in Windows by just clicking. Now if you have to
          enter thirty command lines look how far ahead you can be in Windows.

          Hi Ed. And here's "another side of the moon" (same moon, different
          lighting, view is of a different portion of moon).

          Each of us has the choice. You chose, I choose, others choose.

          And that's grand. I'll not argue that one is better than the other --
          because "it all depends . . ."

          cdr is my alias to burn a cd. (I much prefer command line burn cd's I
          do not use a gui for this task) Simply enter that alias and it
          executes/runs near 30 command lines for me.

          It's too much work and too time consuming for me to mouse click so
          many multiple times using a gui for the cd burning task.

          I use Linux because I can program so many of my tasks. Linux is way
          faster and far less work for me to get my tasks done than if I were to
          use windows.

          So, "it depends". Linux is more macro/programmable friendly than windows.

          And there's Perl which can use a template program to immediately
          create on the fly a specific program and run that created program on
          the fly. (a smart program that both generates and executes the needed
          program).

          Ah, but I at times do like the programmable. 30 command lines in a
          script/program as either a one liner or a one clicker -- one click
          executes.

          NTB programmable text editor <--> Linux programmable OS. (yes Win has
          DOS or commandline .bat files but it is not nearly as expressive as
          Linux).

          Not to mention (Linux) alias which can:

          30cl

          that can be alias/shortcut which runs 30 command lines.

          Just edit the ~/.bashrc file using your favorite editor.

          al@AB60R:~$ alias
          alias cdr='sudo /home/al/bin/cdrecordeasy'
          alias cmx='chmod u+x'
          alias cups='sudo /usr/local/bin/cups.sh'
          alias d='dir'
          alias dir='/usr/bin/ls $LS_OPTIONS --format=vertical'
          alias diskck='du -s -k -c * | sort -rn'
          alias firew='sudo /usr/local/bin/firehol'
          alias fm='fetchmail -k'
          alias fmck='tail /var/tmp/fetchmail.log'
          alias fmorig='fetchmail -k -l 50275'
          alias hi='history'
          alias hig='history | grep'
          alias httpd='sudo /usr/sbin/apachectl'
          alias ls='/usr/bin/ls $LS_OPTIONS'
          alias lsag='ls -la | grep'
          alias lsg='ls | grep'
          alias mc='. /usr/share/mc/bin/mc-wrapper.sh'
          alias mntcd='mount /mnt/cdrom'
          alias mntflp='mount /mnt/floppy'
          alias newsdl='sudo slrnpull -h news.server.com'
          alias newsr='slrn --spool -i ~/.slrnrc_spool -f ~/.jnewsrc_pull'
          alias prnsrv='sudo /sbin/arp -s -v 192.168.0.102 00C002505653'
          alias prnsrvck='ping -c 4 192.168.0.102'
          alias umntcd='umount /mnt/cdrom'
          alias umntflp='umount /mnt/floppy'
          alias v='vdir'
          alias vdir='/usr/bin/ls $LS_OPTIONS --format=long'
          al@AB60R:~$

          al@AB60R:~$ cat .bashrc
          # 3-10-2005 user al bash settings

          # System wide aliases and functions /etc/bashrc (/etc/profile.d).
          # Personal startup programs should go into ~/.bash_profile.
          # Personal aliases and functions and environment
          # variables should go into ~/.bashrc

          [ -f /etc/profile ] && . /etc/profile
          export PATH=$PATH:/home/al/bin
          biff n
          alias cdr='sudo /home/al/bin/cdrecordeasy'
          alias cmx='chmod u+x'
          alias cups='sudo /usr/local/bin/cups.sh'
          alias diskck='du -s -k -c * | sort -rn'
          alias firew='sudo /usr/local/bin/firehol'
          alias hi='history'
          alias hig='history | grep'
          [ snipped ]
          al@AB60R:~$

          --
          Alan.
        • Ed
          Message 4 of 29 , Jan 27, 2006
            acummingsus,
            You are right of course we are looking at the same thing and as a photographer would say "if we change the lighting the girl appears to be a different woman" and I do need some input on using Linux if you would email me
            at horsefly_38866(REMOVE this)@... . What I was trying to say is the learning curve is much too high for me to take the time to try to get serious with Linux. But if I could get over a few rough spots I am learn to have a greater appreciation for Linux.

            Any other Linux user that would like to discuss Linux you may use the email me at the same address.
            Thanks for your patience
            Ed