RE: [NTO] version five

  • Greg Chapman
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 6, 2006
      Hi Jody,

      I know there's an EXTREME risk of Don having started a "me too" thread with
      this thread, and I'm about to join it....

      > You want the syntax highlighting

      Me too!

      > tree-view outlines

      Me too!

      (The other bits are less important to me, but I recognise may be the core
      reason for using NoteTab for others)

      The point is that when I first started with Mini Note Tab under Win3.x the
      product was being constantly updated and improved. Now it has been allowed
      to stagnate. There are now many editors which offer customisable syntax
      highlighting, and some which offer tree-view notes. We regularly see
      concerns about NoteTab regex issues and I know that clip programming remains
      a major attraction of NoteTab for many.

      My fear is that unless Eric turns his attention to updating what has been
      his core product he may lose some of his reputation as one of the finest
      one-man software developers around.

      Currently, NoteTab continues to meet my needs - although I keep coming close
      to moving to TopStyle for my web development work (and that is the bulk of
      my use of NoteTab). Once I saw NoteTab being recommended to others
      regularly. I no longer see that. And that is a worry!

      Greg
    • LaurieK
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 6, 2006
        Ok, Don, Greg... about Syntax Highlighting....

        I do not use this feature (I've needed it maybe once or twice) but its not
        something that I "need" on a regular basis. Syntax Highting is one of the
        marvelous advantages to use what I consider MY BRAIN. I am a very LOYAL NTB
        user, do not get me wrong, I cannot survive w/o it and my major desire, as
        most will know, is the Tree-View Outlines.

        Now, as for your wants/desires and what you may not know. I was introduced
        to Outlines via NTB and well, its been a godsend... however, for me its
        difficult to manipulate when it comes to opening them, someome wrote a clip,
        whether it was something that was already out there or if they wrote it for
        me (I'm not a programmer / program writer / clip writer) which eased that
        task dramatically so that helps.

        HOWEVER... you may wish to check out a program called Insight. It not a
        substitute for NTB, its more of a robust Outline handling program with SO
        MUCH MORE.... www.dataomega.com check it out.

        It was written as a great tool for handling what are referred to as "CAT"
        files, basically OTL files with a "cat" extension in simple
        non-programmer-lay-woman terms.... this program is my BRAIN, I swear it is.
        It has syntax highlighting, it has the ability to highlight / alternate font
        / bold / italic data, it has an awesome "project" or "Favorites" feature.
        I understand that NTB has (I forget what its called) but clipboard copy/save
        feature. Insight's name is "Snatcher" and its just kick butt.... I can't
        tell you enough great things about this program and STRONGLY recommend folks
        check it out.

        I am in no way trying to step on Eric's toes with this... I am a loyal
        registered user of NTB, and Aid4Mail, I love Eric's work, but RS and what
        he'd done with Insight stands on its own. Its not really so much an
        enhancement to NTB because calling it an enhancement would belittle it a
        bit, or make it it sound as though it is not stand alone or not capable of
        standing on its own merits... TRUST ME, its very worthy of consideration and
        adding to your list of applications that you just cannot function without.

        I would gush more about it but I have to leave for work... check out the
        info on dataomega.com Insight... its worth every consideration, its worth
        putting on the same stage with NTB, as sister/brother/cousin programs
        however you personally wish to categorize it, just know that this may be the
        answer to some of the concerns that folks are having with the wait for NTB
        5.x or whatever it may be named whenever it is released.

        I will maintain use of both, there are just some things that pulling NTB out
        for is something that I would not consider using anything else for but when
        it comes to my data handling, I use Insight E V E R Y D A Y in my work
        environment, yes I work for a major company and they even purchased licenses
        for me and my team because of its merits and benefits to the types of data
        handling we must do on a daily basis... I was able to show them the merits
        and they agreed.. I talked a MAJOR CORPORATION into the benefits of this...
        to me that's pretty big!!!

        I compromise at work and use NTB Lite... which has its limitations compared
        to being a PRO user but because of the length of time its taken for us to
        see marked development on NTB, I hesitate 'talking them into' this at the
        current time.

        Anyway, my 2 cents worth.

        My major disclaimer here is the fact that I am not in any way attempting to
        stear folks away from NTB, quite the contrary, all of us long time users
        need a break... there are just somethings that can't wait so if you want
        something which will only benefit you and add to your potential, give it a
        look-see. Let me know what you think, I'd be totally interested because I
        am such a fan. (you can email me privately if you'd rather) but I'd really
        love to know.

        I LOVE NTB, and Eric and I LOVE INSIGHT and RS.... and RS is very good, not
        unlike Eric... about listening, if there is a feature you would like to see,
        RS too, will weigh the pros and cons and feasibility and if its something
        that can be done, it gets done.

        I hope you get this, Jody, Eric... I appreciate all that you do for us...
        but this is truly as worthy an application as Fookes software is....

        Your ever faithful (sometimes demanding and well, I'm sorry) user :)

        Laurie
        (oops I'm gonna be late... bye)

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 6, 2006
          Greg Chapman wrote:
          > > You want the syntax highlighting
          >
          >Me too!

          Me too!

          > > tree-view outlines
          >
          >Me too!

          Me not! Boy, I hate those "zip folders" so much! Am I alone in this?
          Probably am. Since we are dreaming anyway, I'd like "multiple panes". I
          know this won't happen, but as said, I'm dreaming. What I dislike about
          tree-view, in addition to the clicking-clicking-clicking, is that once
          you've opened a node its content obscures the parent list of topics. The
          way my memory works I need to see as much of topics/subtopics as possible.
          I often remember if what I look for is high up, in the middle or low down,
          but not necessarily exactly under which topic I put it. Not until I see it.

          I mean like this.
          <http://www.urlorg.com/images/screen_maxi.gif>
          Select a topic in the left window. Related sub-topics appear in the middle
          window. Select one of those and sub-sub-topics appear in the right window.
          One can scroll through the topic lists fast. That makes it possible to
          review all sub-topics at a glance, and so on and so on. Oh well.

          Lotta
        • Greg Chapman
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 6, 2006
            > > > tree-view outlines
            > >
            > >Me too!
            >
            > Me not!

            > What I dislike about
            > tree-view, in addition to the clicking-clicking-clicking,

            There shouldn't be any clickedy-clicking. We're talking a text editor, so
            it's all done on the keyboard - just like HTMLHelp Contents or My Computer's
            Files Explorer Bar - using just the cursor keys, CR and Backspace. (And in
            TreePad it's just TAB/CTRL-TAB to move between the topic list and edit pane)
            Couldn't be simpler and totally following Windows conventions!

            > you've opened a node its content obscures the parent list of topics.

            So instead you use a conventional window, page down, and you're in the same
            position - but without the treeview of topics so you can navigate back real
            fast!

            > I mean like this.
            > <http://www.urlorg.com/images/screen_maxi.gif>

            OK! I accept that I don't produce documents that are such a complete
            hotch-potch that I need such extreme sub-division, but I guess that anyone
            who does, would easily lose their stuff anyway!

            What I see in TreePad or WORD's Document Map facilities, which I use while
            NoteTab lacks such facilities, is good enough for me! Roll on "folding" as
            well, as another way of hiding text between headings in a long document!

            Greg
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 6, 2006
              Greg Chapman wrote:
              >There shouldn't be any clickedy-clicking. We're talking a text editor, so
              >it's all done on the keyboard - just like HTMLHelp Contents or My Computer's
              >Files Explorer Bar - using just the cursor keys, CR and Backspace.

              Same thing. Explorer is highly annoying. Only use it in folder view. That's
              what made me hate it. Or what about Regedit? Jesus!

              >So instead you use a conventional window, page down, and you're in the same
              >position - but without the treeview of topics so you can navigate back real
              >fast!

              But I don't see the topics and sub topics at the same time, once the sub
              topics get too many. A screen can only take so much in one dimension. :-P

              > > I mean like this.
              > > <http://www.urlorg.com/images/screen_maxi.gif>
              >
              >OK! I accept that I don't produce documents that are such a complete
              >hotch-potch that I need such extreme sub-division, but I guess that anyone
              >who does, would easily lose their stuff anyway!

              LOL Neither do I. It's a bookmark file loaded in the picture. It isn't
              mine, I should add. But I do use URL Organizer as an extra layer for both
              OTLs and text files. The downside is the UO's panes can't be dragged
              totally closed, because of the buttons at the bottom. If they could, it
              would be an almost perfect setup for me.
              It can be made to show only the third pane though. In my case those topics
              would open different OTLs or text files. Or programs or anything else for
              that matter.
              <http://www.bookmarkbuddy.net/images/screen_mini.gif>

              An add-on "table of contents" utility isn't a totally bad idea, actually.
              Maybe that's what I want. Oh, I also wish the headings could be sorted in
              descending order. That's about it for me, I think. Syntax highlighting,
              folding, better split window, better outline sorting (with groups!) and
              panes. Oh, Unicode too. Not necessary for me, but I think it is for many
              people. Thank you for listening, Santa! :-)

              Lotta
            • John Mitchell
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 7, 2006
                Saturday, January 7, 2006, 7:15:02 AM, loro wrote:
                snip...
                > I mean like this.
                > <http://www.urlorg.com/images/screen_maxi.gif>
                snip...

                I'd never heard of URL Organizer before so thanks for the pointer. It
                already looks like becoming a permanent addition to the "must have"
                list and del.icio.ous will rapidly become redundant. Now of course
                I'll have to check out Bookmark Buddy as well to determine the
                required level of investment!
                --
                Regards, John M
              • Subscriber
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 7, 2006
                  Dear All,

                  > Hi Group and Eric,

                  > For about four years now it has been coming SOON ....

                  One more reason to re-launch work on "Golden" version five is the end of
                  the development of KeyNote. Its users may want to gradually move to another
                  program of this kind and IF NoteTab has multilevel outlining future
                  and reach text formatting, this could be their choice.

                  NB. It should not be too difficult to implement both, cf. Insight
                  http://www.dataomega.com/insight/index.htm
                  that reads NoteTab otl files.

                  With best New Year wishes to all NoteTabbers,

                  Wojciech
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 7, 2006
                    John Mitchell wrote:
                    >I'd never heard of URL Organizer before so thanks for the pointer. It
                    >already looks like becoming a permanent addition to the "must have"
                    >list and del.icio.ous will rapidly become redundant.

                    That's nice. I guess I'm not alone in liking this approach after all then. :-)

                    >Now of course
                    >I'll have to check out Bookmark Buddy as well to determine the
                    >required level of investment!

                    Yes, do. It didn't offer enough improvements to warrant an upgrade for me.
                    IIRC it has better search and some kind of rating system (wouldn't bother
                    with rating anyway). It's also a little bigger. URL Org is very tiny. URL
                    Org also has some problems with one of my browsers. That could be fixed in
                    Buddy.
                    I think you'll like that the bookmark files are plain text files, easy to
                    edit and split in several when the need arises. The only complaints I've
                    had are that the text size can't be changed (maybe it can in Buddy) and
                    that it would be helpful if the lists had alternate row colors.

                    There's also an old version distributed as freeware. Less advanced of
                    course, but it probably works as well as a "table of contents" add-on as
                    the others.
                    <http://www.urlorg.com/freeware/index.html>