dual booting and removing XP Pro

  • Ed
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 5, 2006
      Thanks to everyone who replied and I hope will continue to help me get rid of this sticky XP Pro. Just want to thank you all very much. I will be trying all your ideas. Something is bound to work sooner or later. It may be that I am not holding my mouth just right or something like that.
      Ed

    • acummingsus
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 5, 2006
        --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Ed" <ebrown1927@c...> wrote:
        > [ see below at bottom ]

        Ed, couple ideas:
        You need some more power!
        Ways to get it the more power: 1. are you user or administrator
        privleges on XP? if user, then may login as administrator 2. the
        ideas from others about booting from a cd disk instead of booting from
        a hard drive -- as already mentioned a bootable Linux cd --
        otherwise/also if you have it (a Partition Magic CD disk can boot, and
        has the power)

        careful! (when go to format, etc.) don't mistake the wrong
        drive/partition!

        more, A boot manager so as to know and control your booting (Partition
        Magic cd disk can) and as already mentioned, the Bootit NG -- also,
        some bootable Linux cd disk may (some do, I know -- the Slackware 10.2
        cd lets you tell it where Slackware is at on the hard drive and can
        have the cd disk then boot your Slackware that's on the hard drive)
        allow a way to both choose and instruct which hard_drive/partition to
        boot.

        The Linux KDE desktop is so very nearly like MS Windows (I run the
        Linux distro: Slackware 10.2 with the KDE desktop quite a lot) I
        updated it to KDE 3.5 which is the latest it works very superbly here
        (though I've heard mixed reports out there about KDE 3.5).

        Ed had previously written:
        I have two hard drives and one was XP Pro and the other win2000. XP became
        very corrupted for some unknown reason. I was busy and have a friend
        who runs a
        computer repair shop. I took to him to repair and restore XP. He
        worked on it
        and gave it back to me. Before I could boot Linux, XP or Win2k as I
        chose. When
        I got it back I could not but anything but XP which was restored from a CD
        containing all the latest patches as well as service pack to. Worked
        great no
        service pack 2 problems. But I could not open Win2k. That is what
        started it.
        Then I downloaded OSL2000 or is it 3000. I found and opened both
        drives. But
        what and where I thought was 2k was the Old XP with all the probllems
        it had
        when I took it to the shop. The other drive had the Good XP Pro on it.
        Now I am
        trying to get rid of the old bad XP and re-install 2000K. Just cannot
        get rid
        of the Old XP. And that is where we stand now. I am going to start
        working on
        your suggestions in the AM. Now it is nap time.
        I am told fdisk will not touch either 2k nor XP. It last worked on ME
        and no
        longer works on anything. Don't know if that is true or not. I tried
        starting
        with an emergency 98 start up disk and fdisk did nothing for me.

        --
        Alan C.