Re: [NTO] Removing XP Pro

  • Larry Hamilton
    Message 1 of 37 , Jan 5, 2006
      It makes perfect sense if you're as sleep deprived as I have been the
      last few days. ;-)

      Some of the terminology Ed has used also made it appear that he is
      trying to do a dual boot scenario.

      If he wants to replace Windows with Linux, it is a three-step process:

      1.) Make sure all the data you want to keep is backed up.
      2.) Make sure your PC's BIOS is set to boot from the CD-ROM
      3.) Insert the Linux installation CD of the Linux Distribution of your
      choice and follow the install prompts.
      Depending on the Distribution of Linux, and how much is
      installed, it could take a few minutes to a couple of hours.
      All of the Linux flavors I am aware of have a utility included
      with the installation routine to format and partition your hard-drive as
      desired.

      On the dual-boot front, I have seen a lot of articles on many Linux
      sites that recommend using two hard drives as easier.
      I think it is one of those personal preference things like many other
      choices in the world of computers. As I said, I have never tried it, but
      I find installing two Operating Systems on the same hard drive
      relatively simple. It is just horribly time-consuming. For Windows XP
      you have to install a ton of Service Packs, anti-virus, anti-spyware, ad
      infinitum ad nauseum.... With Linux it has updates to be installed, but
      it is not as easily cracked as a fresh install of Windows before all the
      Service Packs and supplemental software. Linux comes with all the
      necessary tools, firewall, and usually a full office suite, like Open
      Office.

      sisterscape wrote:

      >How did this morph from 'Removing XP Pro' to dual booting? BTW, I've
      >heard it's better to have both OS on the same HD rather than on two
      >different ones. That advice comes from the local Linux list that I'm
      >on - hardcore Linux geeks.

    • Julie
      Message 37 of 37 , Jan 7, 2006
        Hi Ed,

        In Filezilla, try using
        upload.Comcast.net as the Host, then your user name and password.
        Worked for me :-).

        Julie