Re: [NTO] Removing XP Pro

  • Larry Hamilton
    Message 1 of 37 , Jan 5, 2006
      Ed,

      I think I see your problem. Are you are trying to install Windows on one
      partition and Linux on another?

      First, make sure that your PC is set to boot from CD-ROM in the BIOS.

      You have to put in the Linux installation CD and then re-boot your PC,
      then the Linux installation will start. Make sure you have all your
      vital data backed up to another place. If not done correctly, it will
      overwrite your Linux partition. I did that the first time I installed
      Red Hat 7.2 several years ago.

      The above is also the procedure for running a Linux Boot CD like Knoppix.

      Linux is not a Windows program but the "equivalent" of Windows because
      both are operating systems, like DOS, UNIX, MAC OS9, MAC OSX, etc.

      The above does not apply if you are using a Linux distribution that is
      designed to run within Windows, or are using an emulator like VMWare,
      QEMU, etc.

      Larry Hamilton
      Kairos Computer Solutions
      http://www.kairoscomputers.com/
      Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus

      Ed wrote:

      >XP tells me this is not a win32 program and that is the end of that . Now I am removing service pack 1 and all the hot fixes and see if it will then let me start the install of Linux
      >Ed

    • Julie
      Message 37 of 37 , Jan 7, 2006
        Hi Ed,

        In Filezilla, try using
        upload.Comcast.net as the Host, then your user name and password.
        Worked for me :-).

        Julie