Re: [NTO] Removing XP Pro

  • Larry Hamilton
    Message 1 of 37 , Jan 5, 2006
      Ed wrote:

      >XP will NOT let me install Linux. I think you have to install Linux first. I found that the XP install disk is supposed let you format the hard drive, but it did not when I tried it. Now I will try Norton's and see if it will work. I should not have any trouble working from the command line I used to use Dos 5 and 6 and when Windows came out that and I have never looked back. Then I tried Linux and still play with it, but until it gets rid of the command line, Bill will still get my bucks. Thanks for the URL.
      >Ed

      I dual-boot Windows and Linux, and Windows has to be installed first.
      The key is to make separate partitions for each Operating System. It
      depends on which Linux Distribution you use how much space it takes. I
      currently have Fedora Core 3, and it takes about 10 GB if you install
      everything under the Sun plus the kitchen sink. If you are interested in
      Fedora Core (sponsored by Red Hat), one user has a good installation
      document for both FC3 and FC4. I have used the FC3 install guide twice
      with good results. I plan to upgrade to FC4 soon, since FC3 is nearing
      the end of its active life. You can find both versions here:
      http://stanton-finley.net/

      I know there are similar dual-boot installation guides for other Linux
      distributions, checking Google should help there.

      I cannot speak to full installs of other versions of Linux. I have been
      impressed with some bootable CD versions, such as Knoppix, and more
      recently DSL (D**n Small Linux). I do not like the name of the second,
      but it is quite impressive what its creator has done.

      If you have a program like Partition Magic on Windows, you can make room
      on your disk for Linux, after you thoroughly defragment Windows, even if
      a fresh install.

      An easier way to install is have a second hard drive and put Linux on
      the second drive, or so I have heard, I have not tried it that way yet.

      Depending on what you are trying to do on Linux, you can get away with
      never or almost never using the command line. There are some powerful
      things you can do with the CLI (Command Line Interface) in Linux, but
      the same is true of Windows. For example,

      rename *.txt *-WOW.txt

      works a lot easier at a command prompt than it does in Windows Explorer.
      There are things you can do in the Linux CLI that you cannot do in the
      Windows CLI. I think "power users" will always use the CLI. But if you
      do not want to use it, you do not have to.

      Best of all, with wine, you can run NoteTab - and any other Fookes
      product on Linux. There are only a few glitches I have experienced with
      NoteTab, but have not had time to update my NoteTab on Linux page with
      all the details. Here is my NoteTab on Linux page:
      http://www.kairoscomputers.com/notetab/NoteTabLinuxAnalysis.php

      Except for a couple of programs I cannot get to run with wine, and my
      kids desire (they would say need) to play computer games, I only boot
      into Windows 2 or 3 times a month at home. I'm stuck with Windows at
      work - at least I made them buy me NoteTab Pro! ;-)

      Larry Hamilton
      Kairos Computer Solutions
      http://www.kairoscomputers.com/
      Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus
    • Julie
      Message 37 of 37 , Jan 7, 2006
        Hi Ed,

        In Filezilla, try using
        upload.Comcast.net as the Host, then your user name and password.
        Worked for me :-).

        Julie