Re: [NTO] IE fubared after latrest updates!

  • sisterscape
    Message 1 of 27 , Dec 16, 2005
      I think I have found the solution to my IE problem at
      http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/default.aspx

      Quote:
      IE December Security Update – addressing scattered reports of odd
      browser behavior

      We have received scattered reports of users experiencing odd browser
      behavior after installing our most recent security update. Some of you
      have reported opening a browser window that promptly hangs IE, others
      have reported opening links that render blank, and finally we have
      reports of multiple windows opening when initiating a browser session.
      After investigating several of these reports, we have traced these
      issues to a common source.

      If a user has ever attempted to run IE7 Beta1 in an unsupported
      side-by-side configuration with a version of IE6, IE7 Beta1 puts a
      registry key on the machine the first time a user executes the IE7
      version of IEXPLORE.EXE. This key is part of an normal IE7 installation
      on XP, and will not be configured correctly if an unsupported
      side-by-side install is used. When IE7 is installed using the
      installer, the key should be removed properly upon uninstall. A machine
      can also load this registry key and not remove it during a failed IE7
      installation.

      To address this issue on a machine running IE 6 SP1 with our most
      recent security update, locate and delete this entire key from the
      registry of the affected machine:
      HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{c90250f3-4d7d-4991-9b69-a5c5bc1c2ae6}. If you
      are running IE7 Beta1 in a side-by-side scenario with another version
      of IE, this is not a supported scenario. Please uninstall and reinstall
      IE7 Beta1 in the recommended manner.

      Thank you all for your blog comments reporting this incident. Your
      valuable feedback allowed us to locate this issue in IE7 Beta1 and
      investigate how to prevent the problem in future.

      - Jeremy Dallman

      endquote:

      http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com/2005/12/windows-update-maybe-not-thank-you.html

      http://mail.yahoo.com