IE fubared after latrest updates!

  • sisterscape
    Message 1 of 27 , Dec 15, 2005
      After I installed the latest updates - (KB905915) and (KB910437) - IE
      was unusable. I had to do a system restore to get things working
      again. Here's what happened . . .

      When I opened IE after the update, it started to spawn multiple windows
      - at one time over 100!!! - and none of them worked. Obviously that
      locked everything up and there were at lot of hard reboots. I was
      unable to connect to the internet (dialup) to send the error messages
      during this ordeal.

      These are the error messages (more or less). The was also something
      that flashed by about "null":

      Quote: Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You
      may not have appropriate permissions to access this item.

      Quote: An attempt was made to reference a token that does not exist.

      Same thing happened whether I tried to open files locally, through
      local host (with XAMPP) or on the internet.

      Seems that I am not alone in suffering screwups from this update -
      http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com/2005/12/windows-update-maybe-not-thank-you.html

      Just thought I'd should give you a heads up . . .

      sisterscape

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • xtx222003
      Message 2 of 27 , Dec 15, 2005
        Hi Jeffery,

        Yes, I get the same delay even when there are no other files open.

        The files are on average 1-4kb, and never exceed 50kb.

        Thanks,
        Corl
      • xtx222003
        Message 3 of 27 , Dec 16, 2005
          Hi Alex,

          Thanks for the tips on the system internals programs. I'll need to
          take some time to explore and understand them.

          Question 1: no difference.

          Question 2: no effect.

          Thanks,
          Corl

          > If you haven't already got them, get Process Explorer, FileMon and
          RegMon
          > (all free and all from sysinternals.com).
          >
          > You say that it always takes 30 seconds to open the first time in
          Notetab
          > but is quick (around 1 to 3 seconds) when opening the first time in
          Notepad
          > or other apps that open the same txt file from the network.
          >
          > 1- If you open the same file quickly in Notepad and then try to
          open it in
          > Notetab, is it still a slow open? ditto trying to open it first in
          Notetab
          > light and then again in Notetab pro?
          >
          > 2- If you have files A,B, and C all on the network drive and in
          same or
          > different folders, does "paying" the 30 second wait to open file A
          the first
          > time have and effect when you try to open file B and/or file C in
          the
          > same/different folders?
        • sisterscape
          Message 4 of 27 , Dec 16, 2005
            I think I have found the solution to my IE problem at
            http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/default.aspx

            Quote:
            IE December Security Update – addressing scattered reports of odd
            browser behavior

            We have received scattered reports of users experiencing odd browser
            behavior after installing our most recent security update. Some of you
            have reported opening a browser window that promptly hangs IE, others
            have reported opening links that render blank, and finally we have
            reports of multiple windows opening when initiating a browser session.
            After investigating several of these reports, we have traced these
            issues to a common source.

            If a user has ever attempted to run IE7 Beta1 in an unsupported
            side-by-side configuration with a version of IE6, IE7 Beta1 puts a
            registry key on the machine the first time a user executes the IE7
            version of IEXPLORE.EXE. This key is part of an normal IE7 installation
            on XP, and will not be configured correctly if an unsupported
            side-by-side install is used. When IE7 is installed using the
            installer, the key should be removed properly upon uninstall. A machine
            can also load this registry key and not remove it during a failed IE7
            installation.

            To address this issue on a machine running IE 6 SP1 with our most
            recent security update, locate and delete this entire key from the
            registry of the affected machine:
            HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{c90250f3-4d7d-4991-9b69-a5c5bc1c2ae6}. If you
            are running IE7 Beta1 in a side-by-side scenario with another version
            of IE, this is not a supported scenario. Please uninstall and reinstall
            IE7 Beta1 in the recommended manner.

            Thank you all for your blog comments reporting this incident. Your
            valuable feedback allowed us to locate this issue in IE7 Beta1 and
            investigate how to prevent the problem in future.

            - Jeremy Dallman

            endquote:

            http://mail.yahoo.com