[NTO] Re: Problem: 30 seconds to open txt file

  • acummingsus
    Message 1 of 44 , Dec 7, 2005
      [ some networked text file take 30 seconds to open in Notetab. ]

      Wild shot in the dark: Win XP have indexing service for files turned
      on by default (I think). I wonder if Win XP trys to index such file
      (perhaps somehow XP not knows that it's a networked file).

      Is your delay occur when use the Notetab file open dialog?

      Instead of that method, have you tried using the Win XP file explorer
      to drag and drop the file into Notetab to see if this makes any
      (speed) difference? (not as a solution but just for troubleshooting
      purposes).

      Alan.
    • xtx222003
      Message 44 of 44 , Jul 25, 2006
        Hi Dave,

        Unfortunately NTP behaves the same with or without:
        * other programs operating,
        * libraries opened or installed,
        * antivirus on or off,
        * beta 5 same problem,
        * clicking on a txt file or opening it with in NTP.

        It doesn't happen with any other file type, only txt and html opened
        with NTP, and they are no larger than 20 KB.

        * I'm using Win XP Home sp2,
        * on a 1 year old computer,
        * with RAM to spare,
        * with a LAN that serves everything else up including my music
        without a hitch,
        * all virus and spyware free.

        So it would appear to be specific to NTP and not my computer.

        Possibly the fact that I have to resort to using the rrNotepad.clb to
        force the replacing of Notepad with NoteTab may have something to do
        with it? But, even when I turn this off it still takes the same time
        to open a file.

        I love NTP, but this behavior is a real show stopper. My work demands
        that I am able to get into files in a timely manner.

        Any ideas besides OS transplant are welcome. I really don't want to
        leave NTP, but I'm getting anxious as a mega project is looming, and
        need some text editing program as simple and easy to work with as
        NTP. All suggestions will be welcomed with open arms.

        Thanks,
        Corl