[NTO] Re: Problem: 30 seconds to open txt file

  • xtx222003
    Message 1 of 27 , Dec 7, 2005
      Hi Bruce,

      > The capacity and free space I was refering to is the capacity and
      > free space of the drive that the temp directory is on.

      OK, well I have 167GB of 180 free, so without doing the math I appear
      to be above the 20% threshold you mentioned.

      Thanks,
      Corl
    • Jeffery Scism
      Message 2 of 27 , Dec 13, 2005
        Suggestion: Hit Control+ALT+Delete and click on the processes tab.
        THEN open NoteTab and go for the file on the other computer, while it is
        doing it's 30 second thing, check which running processes kick in and
        use a BUNCH of resources.

        ~~

        Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG

        (\o/)
      • xtx222003
        Message 3 of 27 , Dec 14, 2005
          Hi Jeffery,

          An interesting exploration. What I found was that explorer.exe jumps
          to about 14% CPU usage for 1 second then goes back down to 0%, the
          only other activity is from svchost.exe that hums along at 2-3%. This
          svchost.exe is not the virus, spyware, trojan or worm, as I
          constantly monitor for these little buggers. Other than these, there
          are no other processes kicking in and using a bunch of resources.

          Thanks,
          Corl

          > Suggestion: Hit Control+ALT+Delete and click on the processes
          tab.
          > THEN open NoteTab and go for the file on the other computer, while
          it is
          > doing it's 30 second thing, check which running processes kick in
          and
          > use a BUNCH of resources.
          >
          > ~~
          >
          > Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
          >

          > (\o/)
        • Jeffery Scism
          Message 4 of 27 , Dec 14, 2005
            Since it seems to happen on frst opening, I would look at either the
            Firewall or the antivirus to be the culprit. My Norton System Works
            scans programs as they close, and prevents them from updating their INI
            files.

            ~~

            Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG

            (\o/)

            xtx222003 wrote:

            >Hi Jeffery,
            >
            >An interesting exploration. What I found was that explorer.exe jumps
            >to about 14% CPU usage for 1 second then goes back down to 0%, the
            >only other activity is from svchost.exe that hums along at 2-3%. This
            >svchost.exe is not the virus, spyware, trojan or worm, as I
            >constantly monitor for these little buggers. Other than these, there
            >are no other processes kicking in and using a bunch of resources.
            >
            >Thanks,
            >Corl
            >

            >>Suggestion: Hit Control+ALT+Delete and click on the processes
            >>

            >tab.
            >

            >>THEN open NoteTab and go for the file on the other computer, while
            >>

            >it is
            >

            >>doing it's 30 second thing, check which running processes kick in
            >>

            >and
            >

            >>use a BUNCH of resources.
            >>
            >>~~
            >>
            >>Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
            >>

            >>(\o/)
            >>

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • xtx222003
            Message 5 of 27 , Dec 14, 2005
              Hi Jeffery,

              I have Norton as well, I looked at this a week ago, I even set it to
              exclude scanning txt files, it made no difference.

              The .ini file must be updating because when I open NTP all the files
              I left open, open with it.

              All my troubleshooting to date only makes a stronger case that the
              issue is with NT, but if Norton were the problem, how would you go
              about addressing it?

              So my firewall might let HomeSite, Word, Dreamweaver, notepad and
              other text editors open a txt file immediately, but block the same
              file for 30 seconds when opening it with NT??

              Thanks,
              Corl

              > Since it seems to happen on frst opening, I would look at either
              the
              > Firewall or the antivirus to be the culprit. My Norton System Works
              > scans programs as they close, and prevents them from updating their
              INI
              > files.
              >
              > ~~
              >
              > Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
              >

              > (\o/)
            • Alec Burgess (g)
              Message 6 of 27 , Dec 14, 2005
                Hi Corl:
                Fascinating problem! It looks like all the things I could think of to
                remotely debug this through the forums have been tried

                Just a couple of suggestions that won't solve it but might provide more
                data.

                If you haven't already got them, get Process Explorer, FileMon and RegMon
                (all free and all from sysinternals.com).

                You say that it always takes 30 seconds to open the first time in Notetab
                but is quick (around 1 to 3 seconds) when opening the first time in Notepad
                or other apps that open the same txt file from the network.

                1- If you open the same file quickly in Notepad and then try to open it in
                Notetab, is it still a slow open? ditto trying to open it first in Notetab
                light and then again in Notetab pro?

                2- If you have files A,B, and C all on the network drive and in same or
                different folders, does "paying" the 30 second wait to open file A the first
                time have and effect when you try to open file B and/or file C in the
                same/different folders?

                With Process Explorer you can "watch" the files in use by Notepad and/or
                Notetab as the opening of the file from the network takes place. With
                FileMon you can set it to show all accesses to the file from *any* program.

                Maybe you'll be able to spot something anomalous - perhaps a firewall or
                anti-virus program getting involved that shouldn't (though it sounds like
                you've already ruled these out.)

                Note: Regmon seems less likely to provide any meaningful information here,
                but its a nice tool that might show something ... here or when trying to
                debug other problems :-)

                Regards ... Alec
                --
                ; ( ) { } [ ] \ | 9 0 + = () {} []

                > I have Norton as well, I looked at this a week ago, I even set it to
                > exclude scanning txt files, it made no difference.
                >
                > The .ini file must be updating because when I open NTP all the files
                > I left open, open with it.
                >
                > All my troubleshooting to date only makes a stronger case that the
                > issue is with NT, but if Norton were the problem, how would you go
                > about addressing it?
                >
                > So my firewall might let HomeSite, Word, Dreamweaver, notepad and
                > other text editors open a txt file immediately, but block the same
                > file for 30 seconds when opening it with NT??
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Corl
                >
                > > Since it seems to happen on frst opening, I would look at either
                > the
                > > Firewall or the antivirus to be the culprit. My Norton System Works
                > > scans programs as they close, and prevents them from updating their
                > INI
                > > files.
                > >
                > > ~~
                > >
                > > Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
                > >

                > > (\o/)

              • Jeffery Scism
                Message 7 of 27 , Dec 14, 2005
                  This has probably been asked, does the delay occur if you have no other
                  files open in NoteTab? What are the file sizes of the other files?

                  ~~

                  Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG

                  (\o/)

                  xtx222003 wrote:

                  >Hi Jeffery,
                  >
                  >I have Norton as well, I looked at this a week ago, I even set it to
                  >exclude scanning txt files, it made no difference.
                  >
                  >The .ini file must be updating because when I open NTP all the files
                  >I left open, open with it.
                  >
                  >All my troubleshooting to date only makes a stronger case that the
                  >issue is with NT, but if Norton were the problem, how would you go
                  >about addressing it?
                  >
                  >So my firewall might let HomeSite, Word, Dreamweaver, notepad and
                  >other text editors open a txt file immediately, but block the same
                  >file for 30 seconds when opening it with NT??
                  >
                  >Thanks,
                  >Corl
                  >

                  >>Since it seems to happen on frst opening, I would look at either
                  >>

                  >the
                  >

                  >>Firewall or the antivirus to be the culprit. My Norton System Works
                  >>scans programs as they close, and prevents them from updating their
                  >>

                  >INI
                  >

                  >>files.
                  >>
                  >>~~
                  >>
                  >>Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
                  >>

                  >>(\o/)
                  >>

                  >Yahoo! Groups Links

                • sisterscape
                  Message 8 of 27 , Dec 15, 2005
                    After I installed the latest updates - (KB905915) and (KB910437) - IE
                    was unusable. I had to do a system restore to get things working
                    again. Here's what happened . . .

                    When I opened IE after the update, it started to spawn multiple windows
                    - at one time over 100!!! - and none of them worked. Obviously that
                    locked everything up and there were at lot of hard reboots. I was
                    unable to connect to the internet (dialup) to send the error messages
                    during this ordeal.

                    These are the error messages (more or less). The was also something
                    that flashed by about "null":

                    Quote: Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You
                    may not have appropriate permissions to access this item.

                    Quote: An attempt was made to reference a token that does not exist.

                    Same thing happened whether I tried to open files locally, through
                    local host (with XAMPP) or on the internet.

                    Seems that I am not alone in suffering screwups from this update -
                    http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com/2005/12/windows-update-maybe-not-thank-you.html

                    Just thought I'd should give you a heads up . . .

                    sisterscape

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • xtx222003
                    Message 9 of 27 , Dec 15, 2005
                      Hi Jeffery,

                      Yes, I get the same delay even when there are no other files open.

                      The files are on average 1-4kb, and never exceed 50kb.

                      Thanks,
                      Corl
                    • xtx222003
                      Message 10 of 27 , Dec 16, 2005
                        Hi Alex,

                        Thanks for the tips on the system internals programs. I'll need to
                        take some time to explore and understand them.

                        Question 1: no difference.

                        Question 2: no effect.

                        Thanks,
                        Corl

                        > If you haven't already got them, get Process Explorer, FileMon and
                        RegMon
                        > (all free and all from sysinternals.com).
                        >
                        > You say that it always takes 30 seconds to open the first time in
                        Notetab
                        > but is quick (around 1 to 3 seconds) when opening the first time in
                        Notepad
                        > or other apps that open the same txt file from the network.
                        >
                        > 1- If you open the same file quickly in Notepad and then try to
                        open it in
                        > Notetab, is it still a slow open? ditto trying to open it first in
                        Notetab
                        > light and then again in Notetab pro?
                        >
                        > 2- If you have files A,B, and C all on the network drive and in
                        same or
                        > different folders, does "paying" the 30 second wait to open file A
                        the first
                        > time have and effect when you try to open file B and/or file C in
                        the
                        > same/different folders?
                      • sisterscape
                        Message 11 of 27 , Dec 16, 2005
                          I think I have found the solution to my IE problem at
                          http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/default.aspx

                          Quote:
                          IE December Security Update – addressing scattered reports of odd
                          browser behavior

                          We have received scattered reports of users experiencing odd browser
                          behavior after installing our most recent security update. Some of you
                          have reported opening a browser window that promptly hangs IE, others
                          have reported opening links that render blank, and finally we have
                          reports of multiple windows opening when initiating a browser session.
                          After investigating several of these reports, we have traced these
                          issues to a common source.

                          If a user has ever attempted to run IE7 Beta1 in an unsupported
                          side-by-side configuration with a version of IE6, IE7 Beta1 puts a
                          registry key on the machine the first time a user executes the IE7
                          version of IEXPLORE.EXE. This key is part of an normal IE7 installation
                          on XP, and will not be configured correctly if an unsupported
                          side-by-side install is used. When IE7 is installed using the
                          installer, the key should be removed properly upon uninstall. A machine
                          can also load this registry key and not remove it during a failed IE7
                          installation.

                          To address this issue on a machine running IE 6 SP1 with our most
                          recent security update, locate and delete this entire key from the
                          registry of the affected machine:
                          HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{c90250f3-4d7d-4991-9b69-a5c5bc1c2ae6}. If you
                          are running IE7 Beta1 in a side-by-side scenario with another version
                          of IE, this is not a supported scenario. Please uninstall and reinstall
                          IE7 Beta1 in the recommended manner.

                          Thank you all for your blog comments reporting this incident. Your
                          valuable feedback allowed us to locate this issue in IE7 Beta1 and
                          investigate how to prevent the problem in future.

                          - Jeremy Dallman

                          endquote:

                          http://mail.yahoo.com