Re: [NTO] Re: Problem: 30 seconds to open txt file

  • John Mitchell
    Message 1 of 27 , Dec 5, 2005
      Monday, December 5, 2005, 11:53:16 AM, xtx222003 wrote:
      > Thanks John M, I hope that is a positive note for my situation.
      >
      > Corl

      Corl

      I wonder if Dave is on the right track. He said... "If you use notetab
      across network it always go back to where it last was". I understand
      this to mean that NTB tries to reopen whatever files are "remembered"
      in the INI (have a look at the [AutoLoad] section). There may be
      circumstances where the remembered files are causing the delay. Try
      letting Notetab do its thing for however long it takes (30 secs, you
      said) then close all open files and close and reopen NTB. If it still
      takes more than a couple of seconds then this theory is blown.
      --
      Regards, John M
    • xtx222003
      Message 2 of 27 , Dec 6, 2005
        Hi Bruce,

        I'm running XP sp2, all current patches. 512 RAM.

        I'm assuming you aren't talking about where "temporary Internet files"
        are stored. Where would I inspect and adjust the windows temporary
        directory?

        Thanks,
        Corl
      • xtx222003
        Message 3 of 27 , Dec 6, 2005
          Hi John M,

          Even when AutoLoad is empty, I still experience the same problem.

          Thanks,
          Corl
        • Bruce Lybbert
          Message 4 of 27 , Dec 6, 2005
            Corl :

            If your using a standard windows install the temp directory will be
            on your c drive. To find out for sure go to a command prompt and
            type set your looking for the line temp= and or tmp=
            If this is set to a network drive this could be part of the problem.

            Bruce

            --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "xtx222003" <xtx222003@y...>
            wrote:

            > Hi Bruce,
            >
            > I'm running XP sp2, all current patches. 512 RAM.
            >
            > I'm assuming you aren't talking about where "temporary Internet
            files"
            > are stored. Where would I inspect and adjust the windows temporary
            > directory?
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Corl

          • xtx222003
            Message 5 of 27 , Dec 6, 2005
              Hi Bruce, All my temp folders are empty, and I didn't see a way to set
              their capasity.

              Thanks,
              Corl

              > If your using a standard windows install the temp directory will be
              > on your c drive. To find out for sure go to a command prompt and
              > type set your looking for the line temp= and or tmp=
              > If this is set to a network drive this could be part of the problem.
              >
              > Bruce
            • Bruce Lybbert
              Message 6 of 27 , Dec 6, 2005
                The capacity and free space I was refering to is the capacity and
                free space of the drive that the temp directory is on.

                wrote:

                > Hi Bruce, All my temp folders are empty, and I didn't see a way to
                set
                > their capasity.
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Corl
                >
                > > If your using a standard windows install the temp directory will
                be
                > > on your c drive. To find out for sure go to a command prompt and
                > > type set your looking for the line temp= and or tmp=
                > > If this is set to a network drive this could be part of the
                problem.

                > > Bruce

              • xtx222003
                Message 7 of 27 , Dec 7, 2005
                  Hi Bruce,

                  > The capacity and free space I was refering to is the capacity and
                  > free space of the drive that the temp directory is on.

                  OK, well I have 167GB of 180 free, so without doing the math I appear
                  to be above the 20% threshold you mentioned.

                  Thanks,
                  Corl
                • Jeffery Scism
                  Message 8 of 27 , Dec 13, 2005
                    Suggestion: Hit Control+ALT+Delete and click on the processes tab.
                    THEN open NoteTab and go for the file on the other computer, while it is
                    doing it's 30 second thing, check which running processes kick in and
                    use a BUNCH of resources.

                    ~~

                    Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG

                    (\o/)
                  • xtx222003
                    Message 9 of 27 , Dec 14, 2005
                      Hi Jeffery,

                      An interesting exploration. What I found was that explorer.exe jumps
                      to about 14% CPU usage for 1 second then goes back down to 0%, the
                      only other activity is from svchost.exe that hums along at 2-3%. This
                      svchost.exe is not the virus, spyware, trojan or worm, as I
                      constantly monitor for these little buggers. Other than these, there
                      are no other processes kicking in and using a bunch of resources.

                      Thanks,
                      Corl

                      > Suggestion: Hit Control+ALT+Delete and click on the processes
                      tab.
                      > THEN open NoteTab and go for the file on the other computer, while
                      it is
                      > doing it's 30 second thing, check which running processes kick in
                      and
                      > use a BUNCH of resources.
                      >
                      > ~~
                      >
                      > Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
                      >

                      > (\o/)
                    • Jeffery Scism
                      Message 10 of 27 , Dec 14, 2005
                        Since it seems to happen on frst opening, I would look at either the
                        Firewall or the antivirus to be the culprit. My Norton System Works
                        scans programs as they close, and prevents them from updating their INI
                        files.

                        ~~

                        Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG

                        (\o/)

                        xtx222003 wrote:

                        >Hi Jeffery,
                        >
                        >An interesting exploration. What I found was that explorer.exe jumps
                        >to about 14% CPU usage for 1 second then goes back down to 0%, the
                        >only other activity is from svchost.exe that hums along at 2-3%. This
                        >svchost.exe is not the virus, spyware, trojan or worm, as I
                        >constantly monitor for these little buggers. Other than these, there
                        >are no other processes kicking in and using a bunch of resources.
                        >
                        >Thanks,
                        >Corl
                        >

                        >>Suggestion: Hit Control+ALT+Delete and click on the processes
                        >>

                        >tab.
                        >

                        >>THEN open NoteTab and go for the file on the other computer, while
                        >>

                        >it is
                        >

                        >>doing it's 30 second thing, check which running processes kick in
                        >>

                        >and
                        >

                        >>use a BUNCH of resources.
                        >>
                        >>~~
                        >>
                        >>Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
                        >>

                        >>(\o/)
                        >>

                        >Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • xtx222003
                        Message 11 of 27 , Dec 14, 2005
                          Hi Jeffery,

                          I have Norton as well, I looked at this a week ago, I even set it to
                          exclude scanning txt files, it made no difference.

                          The .ini file must be updating because when I open NTP all the files
                          I left open, open with it.

                          All my troubleshooting to date only makes a stronger case that the
                          issue is with NT, but if Norton were the problem, how would you go
                          about addressing it?

                          So my firewall might let HomeSite, Word, Dreamweaver, notepad and
                          other text editors open a txt file immediately, but block the same
                          file for 30 seconds when opening it with NT??

                          Thanks,
                          Corl

                          > Since it seems to happen on frst opening, I would look at either
                          the
                          > Firewall or the antivirus to be the culprit. My Norton System Works
                          > scans programs as they close, and prevents them from updating their
                          INI
                          > files.
                          >
                          > ~~
                          >
                          > Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
                          >

                          > (\o/)
                        • Alec Burgess (g)
                          Message 12 of 27 , Dec 14, 2005
                            Hi Corl:
                            Fascinating problem! It looks like all the things I could think of to
                            remotely debug this through the forums have been tried

                            Just a couple of suggestions that won't solve it but might provide more
                            data.

                            If you haven't already got them, get Process Explorer, FileMon and RegMon
                            (all free and all from sysinternals.com).

                            You say that it always takes 30 seconds to open the first time in Notetab
                            but is quick (around 1 to 3 seconds) when opening the first time in Notepad
                            or other apps that open the same txt file from the network.

                            1- If you open the same file quickly in Notepad and then try to open it in
                            Notetab, is it still a slow open? ditto trying to open it first in Notetab
                            light and then again in Notetab pro?

                            2- If you have files A,B, and C all on the network drive and in same or
                            different folders, does "paying" the 30 second wait to open file A the first
                            time have and effect when you try to open file B and/or file C in the
                            same/different folders?

                            With Process Explorer you can "watch" the files in use by Notepad and/or
                            Notetab as the opening of the file from the network takes place. With
                            FileMon you can set it to show all accesses to the file from *any* program.

                            Maybe you'll be able to spot something anomalous - perhaps a firewall or
                            anti-virus program getting involved that shouldn't (though it sounds like
                            you've already ruled these out.)

                            Note: Regmon seems less likely to provide any meaningful information here,
                            but its a nice tool that might show something ... here or when trying to
                            debug other problems :-)

                            Regards ... Alec
                            --
                            ; ( ) { } [ ] \ | 9 0 + = () {} []

                            > I have Norton as well, I looked at this a week ago, I even set it to
                            > exclude scanning txt files, it made no difference.
                            >
                            > The .ini file must be updating because when I open NTP all the files
                            > I left open, open with it.
                            >
                            > All my troubleshooting to date only makes a stronger case that the
                            > issue is with NT, but if Norton were the problem, how would you go
                            > about addressing it?
                            >
                            > So my firewall might let HomeSite, Word, Dreamweaver, notepad and
                            > other text editors open a txt file immediately, but block the same
                            > file for 30 seconds when opening it with NT??
                            >
                            > Thanks,
                            > Corl
                            >
                            > > Since it seems to happen on frst opening, I would look at either
                            > the
                            > > Firewall or the antivirus to be the culprit. My Norton System Works
                            > > scans programs as they close, and prevents them from updating their
                            > INI
                            > > files.
                            > >
                            > > ~~
                            > >
                            > > Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
                            > >

                            > > (\o/)

                          • Jeffery Scism
                            Message 13 of 27 , Dec 14, 2005
                              This has probably been asked, does the delay occur if you have no other
                              files open in NoteTab? What are the file sizes of the other files?

                              ~~

                              Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG

                              (\o/)

                              xtx222003 wrote:

                              >Hi Jeffery,
                              >
                              >I have Norton as well, I looked at this a week ago, I even set it to
                              >exclude scanning txt files, it made no difference.
                              >
                              >The .ini file must be updating because when I open NTP all the files
                              >I left open, open with it.
                              >
                              >All my troubleshooting to date only makes a stronger case that the
                              >issue is with NT, but if Norton were the problem, how would you go
                              >about addressing it?
                              >
                              >So my firewall might let HomeSite, Word, Dreamweaver, notepad and
                              >other text editors open a txt file immediately, but block the same
                              >file for 30 seconds when opening it with NT??
                              >
                              >Thanks,
                              >Corl
                              >

                              >>Since it seems to happen on frst opening, I would look at either
                              >>

                              >the
                              >

                              >>Firewall or the antivirus to be the culprit. My Norton System Works
                              >>scans programs as they close, and prevents them from updating their
                              >>

                              >INI
                              >

                              >>files.
                              >>
                              >>~~
                              >>
                              >>Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
                              >>

                              >>(\o/)
                              >>

                              >Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • sisterscape
                              Message 14 of 27 , Dec 15, 2005
                                After I installed the latest updates - (KB905915) and (KB910437) - IE
                                was unusable. I had to do a system restore to get things working
                                again. Here's what happened . . .

                                When I opened IE after the update, it started to spawn multiple windows
                                - at one time over 100!!! - and none of them worked. Obviously that
                                locked everything up and there were at lot of hard reboots. I was
                                unable to connect to the internet (dialup) to send the error messages
                                during this ordeal.

                                These are the error messages (more or less). The was also something
                                that flashed by about "null":

                                Quote: Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You
                                may not have appropriate permissions to access this item.

                                Quote: An attempt was made to reference a token that does not exist.

                                Same thing happened whether I tried to open files locally, through
                                local host (with XAMPP) or on the internet.

                                Seems that I am not alone in suffering screwups from this update -
                                http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com/2005/12/windows-update-maybe-not-thank-you.html

                                Just thought I'd should give you a heads up . . .

                                sisterscape

                                http://mail.yahoo.com
                              • xtx222003
                                Message 15 of 27 , Dec 15, 2005
                                  Hi Jeffery,

                                  Yes, I get the same delay even when there are no other files open.

                                  The files are on average 1-4kb, and never exceed 50kb.

                                  Thanks,
                                  Corl
                                • xtx222003
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Dec 16, 2005
                                    Hi Alex,

                                    Thanks for the tips on the system internals programs. I'll need to
                                    take some time to explore and understand them.

                                    Question 1: no difference.

                                    Question 2: no effect.

                                    Thanks,
                                    Corl

                                    > If you haven't already got them, get Process Explorer, FileMon and
                                    RegMon
                                    > (all free and all from sysinternals.com).
                                    >
                                    > You say that it always takes 30 seconds to open the first time in
                                    Notetab
                                    > but is quick (around 1 to 3 seconds) when opening the first time in
                                    Notepad
                                    > or other apps that open the same txt file from the network.
                                    >
                                    > 1- If you open the same file quickly in Notepad and then try to
                                    open it in
                                    > Notetab, is it still a slow open? ditto trying to open it first in
                                    Notetab
                                    > light and then again in Notetab pro?
                                    >
                                    > 2- If you have files A,B, and C all on the network drive and in
                                    same or
                                    > different folders, does "paying" the 30 second wait to open file A
                                    the first
                                    > time have and effect when you try to open file B and/or file C in
                                    the
                                    > same/different folders?
                                  • sisterscape
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Dec 16, 2005
                                      I think I have found the solution to my IE problem at
                                      http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/default.aspx

                                      Quote:
                                      IE December Security Update – addressing scattered reports of odd
                                      browser behavior

                                      We have received scattered reports of users experiencing odd browser
                                      behavior after installing our most recent security update. Some of you
                                      have reported opening a browser window that promptly hangs IE, others
                                      have reported opening links that render blank, and finally we have
                                      reports of multiple windows opening when initiating a browser session.
                                      After investigating several of these reports, we have traced these
                                      issues to a common source.

                                      If a user has ever attempted to run IE7 Beta1 in an unsupported
                                      side-by-side configuration with a version of IE6, IE7 Beta1 puts a
                                      registry key on the machine the first time a user executes the IE7
                                      version of IEXPLORE.EXE. This key is part of an normal IE7 installation
                                      on XP, and will not be configured correctly if an unsupported
                                      side-by-side install is used. When IE7 is installed using the
                                      installer, the key should be removed properly upon uninstall. A machine
                                      can also load this registry key and not remove it during a failed IE7
                                      installation.

                                      To address this issue on a machine running IE 6 SP1 with our most
                                      recent security update, locate and delete this entire key from the
                                      registry of the affected machine:
                                      HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{c90250f3-4d7d-4991-9b69-a5c5bc1c2ae6}. If you
                                      are running IE7 Beta1 in a side-by-side scenario with another version
                                      of IE, this is not a supported scenario. Please uninstall and reinstall
                                      IE7 Beta1 in the recommended manner.

                                      Thank you all for your blog comments reporting this incident. Your
                                      valuable feedback allowed us to locate this issue in IE7 Beta1 and
                                      investigate how to prevent the problem in future.

                                      - Jeremy Dallman

                                      endquote:

                                      http://mail.yahoo.com