Re: Problem: 30 seconds to open txt file

  • xtx222003
    Message 1 of 27 , Dec 1, 2005
      Hi Dave,

      Yes, the computer in question opens local txt files as quickly in
      NoteTab as it does in NotePad. Why would that be weird?

      I tested the "tried and true" File>Open method before starting this
      inquiry, no luck at all.

      I have never opened any file by dragging it onto the application icon
      before, all ways up to learn something new, but it opens just as slowly
      as before.

      ?!!?

      Corl
    • xtx222003
      Message 2 of 27 , Dec 3, 2005
        Hi All-- I thought NoteTab was having troubles opening files on only
        one computer, but I was wrong, it's having troubles on both of the
        computers. The strange thing is that no other program is suffering in
        this manner, including HomeSite 5.2 for web page authoring. I was
        planning to retire HomeSite because NoteTab is so very easy to
        customize and work with.

        If this is a known problem for NTP, I need to know so I can reexamine
        our plans to use NoteTab in our growing business.

        What is your experience using NoteTab on a network? Similar to mine or
        is it working without a hitch?

        Is there is something I can do to tweak NTP to become network friendly.

        I really hope I'm able to make NoteTab network friendly.

        Thanks,
        Corl
      • John Mitchell
        Message 3 of 27 , Dec 3, 2005
          Hello Corl

          Notetab Light and Notetab Pro both open files
          more or less instantaneously across my home LAN. I'm sure if this was
          a general problem it would have been raised by many people long before
          now. I wish I could say that I have any bright ideas for you but it's
          really hard to imagine why this one application is behaving so
          strangely.
          --
          Regards, John M
        • xtx222003
          Message 4 of 27 , Dec 4, 2005
            Thanks John M, I hope that is a positive note for my situation.

            Corl
          • Bruce Lybbert
            Message 5 of 27 , Dec 5, 2005
              This may be a long shot but if I understand correctly notetab caches
              files as it opens them are you running out of space on the drive your
              temporary directory is on. If that drive has less than 20% free space
              caching will become inefficient.

              The other question is what windows version are you running and with
              how much ram ?

              Bruce
            • John Mitchell
              Message 6 of 27 , Dec 5, 2005
                Monday, December 5, 2005, 11:53:16 AM, xtx222003 wrote:
                > Thanks John M, I hope that is a positive note for my situation.
                >
                > Corl

                Corl

                I wonder if Dave is on the right track. He said... "If you use notetab
                across network it always go back to where it last was". I understand
                this to mean that NTB tries to reopen whatever files are "remembered"
                in the INI (have a look at the [AutoLoad] section). There may be
                circumstances where the remembered files are causing the delay. Try
                letting Notetab do its thing for however long it takes (30 secs, you
                said) then close all open files and close and reopen NTB. If it still
                takes more than a couple of seconds then this theory is blown.
                --
                Regards, John M
              • xtx222003
                Message 7 of 27 , Dec 6, 2005
                  Hi Bruce,

                  I'm running XP sp2, all current patches. 512 RAM.

                  I'm assuming you aren't talking about where "temporary Internet files"
                  are stored. Where would I inspect and adjust the windows temporary
                  directory?

                  Thanks,
                  Corl
                • xtx222003
                  Message 8 of 27 , Dec 6, 2005
                    Hi John M,

                    Even when AutoLoad is empty, I still experience the same problem.

                    Thanks,
                    Corl
                  • Bruce Lybbert
                    Message 9 of 27 , Dec 6, 2005
                      Corl :

                      If your using a standard windows install the temp directory will be
                      on your c drive. To find out for sure go to a command prompt and
                      type set your looking for the line temp= and or tmp=
                      If this is set to a network drive this could be part of the problem.

                      Bruce

                      --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "xtx222003" <xtx222003@y...>
                      wrote:

                      > Hi Bruce,
                      >
                      > I'm running XP sp2, all current patches. 512 RAM.
                      >
                      > I'm assuming you aren't talking about where "temporary Internet
                      files"
                      > are stored. Where would I inspect and adjust the windows temporary
                      > directory?
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      > Corl

                    • xtx222003
                      Message 10 of 27 , Dec 6, 2005
                        Hi Bruce, All my temp folders are empty, and I didn't see a way to set
                        their capasity.

                        Thanks,
                        Corl

                        > If your using a standard windows install the temp directory will be
                        > on your c drive. To find out for sure go to a command prompt and
                        > type set your looking for the line temp= and or tmp=
                        > If this is set to a network drive this could be part of the problem.
                        >
                        > Bruce
                      • Bruce Lybbert
                        Message 11 of 27 , Dec 6, 2005
                          The capacity and free space I was refering to is the capacity and
                          free space of the drive that the temp directory is on.

                          wrote:

                          > Hi Bruce, All my temp folders are empty, and I didn't see a way to
                          set
                          > their capasity.
                          >
                          > Thanks,
                          > Corl
                          >
                          > > If your using a standard windows install the temp directory will
                          be
                          > > on your c drive. To find out for sure go to a command prompt and
                          > > type set your looking for the line temp= and or tmp=
                          > > If this is set to a network drive this could be part of the
                          problem.

                          > > Bruce

                        • xtx222003
                          Message 12 of 27 , Dec 7, 2005
                            Hi Bruce,

                            > The capacity and free space I was refering to is the capacity and
                            > free space of the drive that the temp directory is on.

                            OK, well I have 167GB of 180 free, so without doing the math I appear
                            to be above the 20% threshold you mentioned.

                            Thanks,
                            Corl
                          • Jeffery Scism
                            Message 13 of 27 , Dec 13, 2005
                              Suggestion: Hit Control+ALT+Delete and click on the processes tab.
                              THEN open NoteTab and go for the file on the other computer, while it is
                              doing it's 30 second thing, check which running processes kick in and
                              use a BUNCH of resources.

                              ~~

                              Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG

                              (\o/)
                            • xtx222003
                              Message 14 of 27 , Dec 14, 2005
                                Hi Jeffery,

                                An interesting exploration. What I found was that explorer.exe jumps
                                to about 14% CPU usage for 1 second then goes back down to 0%, the
                                only other activity is from svchost.exe that hums along at 2-3%. This
                                svchost.exe is not the virus, spyware, trojan or worm, as I
                                constantly monitor for these little buggers. Other than these, there
                                are no other processes kicking in and using a bunch of resources.

                                Thanks,
                                Corl

                                > Suggestion: Hit Control+ALT+Delete and click on the processes
                                tab.
                                > THEN open NoteTab and go for the file on the other computer, while
                                it is
                                > doing it's 30 second thing, check which running processes kick in
                                and
                                > use a BUNCH of resources.
                                >
                                > ~~
                                >
                                > Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
                                >

                                > (\o/)
                              • Jeffery Scism
                                Message 15 of 27 , Dec 14, 2005
                                  Since it seems to happen on frst opening, I would look at either the
                                  Firewall or the antivirus to be the culprit. My Norton System Works
                                  scans programs as they close, and prevents them from updating their INI
                                  files.

                                  ~~

                                  Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG

                                  (\o/)

                                  xtx222003 wrote:

                                  >Hi Jeffery,
                                  >
                                  >An interesting exploration. What I found was that explorer.exe jumps
                                  >to about 14% CPU usage for 1 second then goes back down to 0%, the
                                  >only other activity is from svchost.exe that hums along at 2-3%. This
                                  >svchost.exe is not the virus, spyware, trojan or worm, as I
                                  >constantly monitor for these little buggers. Other than these, there
                                  >are no other processes kicking in and using a bunch of resources.
                                  >
                                  >Thanks,
                                  >Corl
                                  >

                                  >>Suggestion: Hit Control+ALT+Delete and click on the processes
                                  >>

                                  >tab.
                                  >

                                  >>THEN open NoteTab and go for the file on the other computer, while
                                  >>

                                  >it is
                                  >

                                  >>doing it's 30 second thing, check which running processes kick in
                                  >>

                                  >and
                                  >

                                  >>use a BUNCH of resources.
                                  >>
                                  >>~~
                                  >>
                                  >>Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
                                  >>

                                  >>(\o/)
                                  >>

                                  >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                • xtx222003
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Dec 14, 2005
                                    Hi Jeffery,

                                    I have Norton as well, I looked at this a week ago, I even set it to
                                    exclude scanning txt files, it made no difference.

                                    The .ini file must be updating because when I open NTP all the files
                                    I left open, open with it.

                                    All my troubleshooting to date only makes a stronger case that the
                                    issue is with NT, but if Norton were the problem, how would you go
                                    about addressing it?

                                    So my firewall might let HomeSite, Word, Dreamweaver, notepad and
                                    other text editors open a txt file immediately, but block the same
                                    file for 30 seconds when opening it with NT??

                                    Thanks,
                                    Corl

                                    > Since it seems to happen on frst opening, I would look at either
                                    the
                                    > Firewall or the antivirus to be the culprit. My Norton System Works
                                    > scans programs as they close, and prevents them from updating their
                                    INI
                                    > files.
                                    >
                                    > ~~
                                    >
                                    > Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
                                    >

                                    > (\o/)
                                  • Alec Burgess (g)
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Dec 14, 2005
                                      Hi Corl:
                                      Fascinating problem! It looks like all the things I could think of to
                                      remotely debug this through the forums have been tried

                                      Just a couple of suggestions that won't solve it but might provide more
                                      data.

                                      If you haven't already got them, get Process Explorer, FileMon and RegMon
                                      (all free and all from sysinternals.com).

                                      You say that it always takes 30 seconds to open the first time in Notetab
                                      but is quick (around 1 to 3 seconds) when opening the first time in Notepad
                                      or other apps that open the same txt file from the network.

                                      1- If you open the same file quickly in Notepad and then try to open it in
                                      Notetab, is it still a slow open? ditto trying to open it first in Notetab
                                      light and then again in Notetab pro?

                                      2- If you have files A,B, and C all on the network drive and in same or
                                      different folders, does "paying" the 30 second wait to open file A the first
                                      time have and effect when you try to open file B and/or file C in the
                                      same/different folders?

                                      With Process Explorer you can "watch" the files in use by Notepad and/or
                                      Notetab as the opening of the file from the network takes place. With
                                      FileMon you can set it to show all accesses to the file from *any* program.

                                      Maybe you'll be able to spot something anomalous - perhaps a firewall or
                                      anti-virus program getting involved that shouldn't (though it sounds like
                                      you've already ruled these out.)

                                      Note: Regmon seems less likely to provide any meaningful information here,
                                      but its a nice tool that might show something ... here or when trying to
                                      debug other problems :-)

                                      Regards ... Alec
                                      --
                                      ; ( ) { } [ ] \ | 9 0 + = () {} []

                                      > I have Norton as well, I looked at this a week ago, I even set it to
                                      > exclude scanning txt files, it made no difference.
                                      >
                                      > The .ini file must be updating because when I open NTP all the files
                                      > I left open, open with it.
                                      >
                                      > All my troubleshooting to date only makes a stronger case that the
                                      > issue is with NT, but if Norton were the problem, how would you go
                                      > about addressing it?
                                      >
                                      > So my firewall might let HomeSite, Word, Dreamweaver, notepad and
                                      > other text editors open a txt file immediately, but block the same
                                      > file for 30 seconds when opening it with NT??
                                      >
                                      > Thanks,
                                      > Corl
                                      >
                                      > > Since it seems to happen on frst opening, I would look at either
                                      > the
                                      > > Firewall or the antivirus to be the culprit. My Norton System Works
                                      > > scans programs as they close, and prevents them from updating their
                                      > INI
                                      > > files.
                                      > >
                                      > > ~~
                                      > >
                                      > > Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
                                      > >

                                      > > (\o/)

                                    • Jeffery Scism
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Dec 14, 2005
                                        This has probably been asked, does the delay occur if you have no other
                                        files open in NoteTab? What are the file sizes of the other files?

                                        ~~

                                        Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG

                                        (\o/)

                                        xtx222003 wrote:

                                        >Hi Jeffery,
                                        >
                                        >I have Norton as well, I looked at this a week ago, I even set it to
                                        >exclude scanning txt files, it made no difference.
                                        >
                                        >The .ini file must be updating because when I open NTP all the files
                                        >I left open, open with it.
                                        >
                                        >All my troubleshooting to date only makes a stronger case that the
                                        >issue is with NT, but if Norton were the problem, how would you go
                                        >about addressing it?
                                        >
                                        >So my firewall might let HomeSite, Word, Dreamweaver, notepad and
                                        >other text editors open a txt file immediately, but block the same
                                        >file for 30 seconds when opening it with NT??
                                        >
                                        >Thanks,
                                        >Corl
                                        >

                                        >>Since it seems to happen on frst opening, I would look at either
                                        >>

                                        >the
                                        >

                                        >>Firewall or the antivirus to be the culprit. My Norton System Works
                                        >>scans programs as they close, and prevents them from updating their
                                        >>

                                        >INI
                                        >

                                        >>files.
                                        >>
                                        >>~~
                                        >>
                                        >>Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
                                        >>

                                        >>(\o/)
                                        >>

                                        >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                      • sisterscape
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Dec 15, 2005
                                          After I installed the latest updates - (KB905915) and (KB910437) - IE
                                          was unusable. I had to do a system restore to get things working
                                          again. Here's what happened . . .

                                          When I opened IE after the update, it started to spawn multiple windows
                                          - at one time over 100!!! - and none of them worked. Obviously that
                                          locked everything up and there were at lot of hard reboots. I was
                                          unable to connect to the internet (dialup) to send the error messages
                                          during this ordeal.

                                          These are the error messages (more or less). The was also something
                                          that flashed by about "null":

                                          Quote: Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You
                                          may not have appropriate permissions to access this item.

                                          Quote: An attempt was made to reference a token that does not exist.

                                          Same thing happened whether I tried to open files locally, through
                                          local host (with XAMPP) or on the internet.

                                          Seems that I am not alone in suffering screwups from this update -
                                          http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com/2005/12/windows-update-maybe-not-thank-you.html

                                          Just thought I'd should give you a heads up . . .

                                          sisterscape

                                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                                        • xtx222003
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Dec 15, 2005
                                            Hi Jeffery,

                                            Yes, I get the same delay even when there are no other files open.

                                            The files are on average 1-4kb, and never exceed 50kb.

                                            Thanks,
                                            Corl
                                          • xtx222003
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Dec 16, 2005
                                              Hi Alex,

                                              Thanks for the tips on the system internals programs. I'll need to
                                              take some time to explore and understand them.

                                              Question 1: no difference.

                                              Question 2: no effect.

                                              Thanks,
                                              Corl

                                              > If you haven't already got them, get Process Explorer, FileMon and
                                              RegMon
                                              > (all free and all from sysinternals.com).
                                              >
                                              > You say that it always takes 30 seconds to open the first time in
                                              Notetab
                                              > but is quick (around 1 to 3 seconds) when opening the first time in
                                              Notepad
                                              > or other apps that open the same txt file from the network.
                                              >
                                              > 1- If you open the same file quickly in Notepad and then try to
                                              open it in
                                              > Notetab, is it still a slow open? ditto trying to open it first in
                                              Notetab
                                              > light and then again in Notetab pro?
                                              >
                                              > 2- If you have files A,B, and C all on the network drive and in
                                              same or
                                              > different folders, does "paying" the 30 second wait to open file A
                                              the first
                                              > time have and effect when you try to open file B and/or file C in
                                              the
                                              > same/different folders?
                                            • sisterscape
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Dec 16, 2005
                                                I think I have found the solution to my IE problem at
                                                http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/default.aspx

                                                Quote:
                                                IE December Security Update – addressing scattered reports of odd
                                                browser behavior

                                                We have received scattered reports of users experiencing odd browser
                                                behavior after installing our most recent security update. Some of you
                                                have reported opening a browser window that promptly hangs IE, others
                                                have reported opening links that render blank, and finally we have
                                                reports of multiple windows opening when initiating a browser session.
                                                After investigating several of these reports, we have traced these
                                                issues to a common source.

                                                If a user has ever attempted to run IE7 Beta1 in an unsupported
                                                side-by-side configuration with a version of IE6, IE7 Beta1 puts a
                                                registry key on the machine the first time a user executes the IE7
                                                version of IEXPLORE.EXE. This key is part of an normal IE7 installation
                                                on XP, and will not be configured correctly if an unsupported
                                                side-by-side install is used. When IE7 is installed using the
                                                installer, the key should be removed properly upon uninstall. A machine
                                                can also load this registry key and not remove it during a failed IE7
                                                installation.

                                                To address this issue on a machine running IE 6 SP1 with our most
                                                recent security update, locate and delete this entire key from the
                                                registry of the affected machine:
                                                HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{c90250f3-4d7d-4991-9b69-a5c5bc1c2ae6}. If you
                                                are running IE7 Beta1 in a side-by-side scenario with another version
                                                of IE, this is not a supported scenario. Please uninstall and reinstall
                                                IE7 Beta1 in the recommended manner.

                                                Thank you all for your blog comments reporting this incident. Your
                                                valuable feedback allowed us to locate this issue in IE7 Beta1 and
                                                investigate how to prevent the problem in future.

                                                - Jeremy Dallman

                                                endquote:

                                                http://mail.yahoo.com