Problem: 30 seconds to open txt file

  • xtx222003
    Message 1 of 27 , Nov 29, 2005
      Hi -- I'm having trouble opening txt files with NTP though our local
      area network. It takes 30 seconds to open small txt files, even when
      opening them from within NTP. The other computer on the LAN has no
      troubles at all opening txt files.

      * Same HP hardware with WinXP Home on both computers.
      * Both have NTP loaded.
      * Both have Replace MS Notepad activated.
      * Used rrNotepad.clb on both to make Replace MS Notepad stick.
      * 20 feet of cat5 cable for LAN.

      What settings do I need to tweak in NTP, or in XP to correct this
      problem?

      All suggestions welcome.

      Thanks,
      Corl
    • Jeffery Scism
      Message 2 of 27 , Nov 29, 2005
        If possible move the fie to be opened to the computer which is opening
        it. the problem may be in the process of reading from one computer to
        the other.

        ~~

        Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG

        (\o/)

        xtx222003 wrote:

        >Hi -- I'm having trouble opening txt files with NTP though our local
        >area network. It takes 30 seconds to open small txt files, even when
        >opening them from within NTP. The other computer on the LAN has no
        >troubles at all opening txt files.
        >
        >* Same HP hardware with WinXP Home on both computers.
        >* Both have NTP loaded.
        >* Both have Replace MS Notepad activated.
        >* Used rrNotepad.clb on both to make Replace MS Notepad stick.
        >* 20 feet of cat5 cable for LAN.
        >
        >What settings do I need to tweak in NTP, or in XP to correct this
        >problem?
        >
        >All suggestions welcome.
        >
        >Thanks,
        >Corl
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • David Smart
        Message 3 of 27 , Nov 30, 2005
          You don't say where the files are located. Are they on one of the two computers, or on a third computer?

          You don't say whether other programs are having the same trouble. E.g. how long does it take to open the same files in NotePad? How long does it take to copy the files to your C drive?

          Regards, Dave S

          Message 4 of 27 , Nov 30, 2005
            Hi Dave,

            I have two computers on the LAN. NoteTab on computer 1 has no trouble
            opening txt files on either computer, but the NoteTab on computer 2
            has troubles opening txt files on computer 1. We don't have txt files
            on a third computer, yet.

            Computer 2 opens Word, Excel, Visio and other files from computer 1
            instantly.

            I hadn't thought to "Restore MS Notepad", but when I did the same
            file opens instantly in Notepad.

            The file copies instantly from computer 1 to 2.

            Working with files on the LAN is a must.

            What answers does any of this suggest? To my untrained eye NoteTab on
            computer 2 is looking guilty.

            Thanks,
            Corl
          • David Smart
            Message 5 of 27 , Dec 1, 2005
              If the computer opens network files quickly in NotePad and slowly in NoteTab, the NoteTab is clearly suspect. If the same computer opens local files as quickly in NoteTab as it does in NotePad, then there's something really weird going on.

              O never substitute NoteTab for NotePad, so I can't comment on this procedure, but you should certainly do a few tests using direct NoteTab access to files. E.g. what's it like if you open NoteTab from the start button, then use File/Open to load a text file that way? What about dragging the file onto a NoteTab icon?

              Regards, Dave S

              I have two computers on the LAN. NoteTab on computer 1 has no trouble
              opening txt files on either computer, but the NoteTab on computer 2
              has troubles opening txt files on computer 1. We don't have txt files
              on a third computer, yet.

              Computer 2 opens Word, Excel, Visio and other files from computer 1
              instantly.

              I hadn't thought to "Restore MS Notepad", but when I did the same
              file opens instantly in Notepad.

              The file copies instantly from computer 1 to 2.

              Working with files on the LAN is a must.

              What answers does any of this suggest? To my untrained eye NoteTab on
              computer 2 is looking guilty.

              Thanks,
              Corl

              Accounting software program Estate program real software Software development program

            • xtx222003
              Message 6 of 27 , Dec 1, 2005
                Hi Dave,

                Yes, the computer in question opens local txt files as quickly in
                NoteTab as it does in NotePad. Why would that be weird?

                I tested the "tried and true" File>Open method before starting this
                inquiry, no luck at all.

                I have never opened any file by dragging it onto the application icon
                before, all ways up to learn something new, but it opens just as slowly
                as before.

                ?!!?

                Corl
              • xtx222003
                Message 7 of 27 , Dec 3, 2005
                  Hi All-- I thought NoteTab was having troubles opening files on only
                  one computer, but I was wrong, it's having troubles on both of the
                  computers. The strange thing is that no other program is suffering in
                  this manner, including HomeSite 5.2 for web page authoring. I was
                  planning to retire HomeSite because NoteTab is so very easy to
                  customize and work with.

                  If this is a known problem for NTP, I need to know so I can reexamine
                  our plans to use NoteTab in our growing business.

                  What is your experience using NoteTab on a network? Similar to mine or
                  is it working without a hitch?

                  Is there is something I can do to tweak NTP to become network friendly.

                  I really hope I'm able to make NoteTab network friendly.

                  Thanks,
                  Corl
                • John Mitchell
                  Message 8 of 27 , Dec 3, 2005
                    Hello Corl

                    Notetab Light and Notetab Pro both open files
                    more or less instantaneously across my home LAN. I'm sure if this was
                    a general problem it would have been raised by many people long before
                    now. I wish I could say that I have any bright ideas for you but it's
                    really hard to imagine why this one application is behaving so
                    strangely.
                    --
                    Regards, John M
                  • xtx222003
                    Message 9 of 27 , Dec 4, 2005
                      Thanks John M, I hope that is a positive note for my situation.

                      Corl
                    • Bruce Lybbert
                      Message 10 of 27 , Dec 5, 2005
                        This may be a long shot but if I understand correctly notetab caches
                        files as it opens them are you running out of space on the drive your
                        temporary directory is on. If that drive has less than 20% free space
                        caching will become inefficient.

                        The other question is what windows version are you running and with
                        how much ram ?

                        Bruce
                      • John Mitchell
                        Message 11 of 27 , Dec 5, 2005
                          Monday, December 5, 2005, 11:53:16 AM, xtx222003 wrote:
                          > Thanks John M, I hope that is a positive note for my situation.
                          >
                          > Corl

                          Corl

                          I wonder if Dave is on the right track. He said... "If you use notetab
                          across network it always go back to where it last was". I understand
                          this to mean that NTB tries to reopen whatever files are "remembered"
                          in the INI (have a look at the [AutoLoad] section). There may be
                          circumstances where the remembered files are causing the delay. Try
                          letting Notetab do its thing for however long it takes (30 secs, you
                          said) then close all open files and close and reopen NTB. If it still
                          takes more than a couple of seconds then this theory is blown.
                          --
                          Regards, John M
                        • xtx222003
                          Message 12 of 27 , Dec 6, 2005
                            Hi Bruce,

                            I'm running XP sp2, all current patches. 512 RAM.

                            I'm assuming you aren't talking about where "temporary Internet files"
                            are stored. Where would I inspect and adjust the windows temporary
                            directory?

                            Thanks,
                            Corl
                          • xtx222003
                            Message 13 of 27 , Dec 6, 2005
                              Hi John M,

                              Even when AutoLoad is empty, I still experience the same problem.

                              Thanks,
                              Corl
                            • Bruce Lybbert
                              Message 14 of 27 , Dec 6, 2005
                                Corl :

                                If your using a standard windows install the temp directory will be
                                on your c drive. To find out for sure go to a command prompt and
                                type set your looking for the line temp= and or tmp=
                                If this is set to a network drive this could be part of the problem.

                                Bruce

                                --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "xtx222003" <xtx222003@y...>
                                wrote:

                                > Hi Bruce,
                                >
                                > I'm running XP sp2, all current patches. 512 RAM.
                                >
                                > I'm assuming you aren't talking about where "temporary Internet
                                files"
                                > are stored. Where would I inspect and adjust the windows temporary
                                > directory?
                                >
                                > Thanks,
                                > Corl

                              • xtx222003
                                Message 15 of 27 , Dec 6, 2005
                                  Hi Bruce, All my temp folders are empty, and I didn't see a way to set
                                  their capasity.

                                  Thanks,
                                  Corl

                                  > If your using a standard windows install the temp directory will be
                                  > on your c drive. To find out for sure go to a command prompt and
                                  > type set your looking for the line temp= and or tmp=
                                  > If this is set to a network drive this could be part of the problem.
                                  >
                                  > Bruce
                                • Bruce Lybbert
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Dec 6, 2005
                                    The capacity and free space I was refering to is the capacity and
                                    free space of the drive that the temp directory is on.

                                    wrote:

                                    > Hi Bruce, All my temp folders are empty, and I didn't see a way to
                                    set
                                    > their capasity.
                                    >
                                    > Thanks,
                                    > Corl
                                    >
                                    > > If your using a standard windows install the temp directory will
                                    be
                                    > > on your c drive. To find out for sure go to a command prompt and
                                    > > type set your looking for the line temp= and or tmp=
                                    > > If this is set to a network drive this could be part of the
                                    problem.

                                    > > Bruce

                                  • xtx222003
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Dec 7, 2005
                                      Hi Bruce,

                                      > The capacity and free space I was refering to is the capacity and
                                      > free space of the drive that the temp directory is on.

                                      OK, well I have 167GB of 180 free, so without doing the math I appear
                                      to be above the 20% threshold you mentioned.

                                      Thanks,
                                      Corl
                                    • Jeffery Scism
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Dec 13, 2005
                                        Suggestion: Hit Control+ALT+Delete and click on the processes tab.
                                        THEN open NoteTab and go for the file on the other computer, while it is
                                        doing it's 30 second thing, check which running processes kick in and
                                        use a BUNCH of resources.

                                        ~~

                                        Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG

                                        (\o/)
                                      • xtx222003
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Dec 14, 2005
                                          Hi Jeffery,

                                          An interesting exploration. What I found was that explorer.exe jumps
                                          to about 14% CPU usage for 1 second then goes back down to 0%, the
                                          only other activity is from svchost.exe that hums along at 2-3%. This
                                          svchost.exe is not the virus, spyware, trojan or worm, as I
                                          constantly monitor for these little buggers. Other than these, there
                                          are no other processes kicking in and using a bunch of resources.

                                          Thanks,
                                          Corl

                                          > Suggestion: Hit Control+ALT+Delete and click on the processes
                                          tab.
                                          > THEN open NoteTab and go for the file on the other computer, while
                                          it is
                                          > doing it's 30 second thing, check which running processes kick in
                                          and
                                          > use a BUNCH of resources.
                                          >
                                          > ~~
                                          >
                                          > Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
                                          >

                                          > (\o/)
                                        • Jeffery Scism
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Dec 14, 2005
                                            Since it seems to happen on frst opening, I would look at either the
                                            Firewall or the antivirus to be the culprit. My Norton System Works
                                            scans programs as they close, and prevents them from updating their INI
                                            files.

                                            ~~

                                            Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG

                                            (\o/)

                                            xtx222003 wrote:

                                            >Hi Jeffery,
                                            >
                                            >An interesting exploration. What I found was that explorer.exe jumps
                                            >to about 14% CPU usage for 1 second then goes back down to 0%, the
                                            >only other activity is from svchost.exe that hums along at 2-3%. This
                                            >svchost.exe is not the virus, spyware, trojan or worm, as I
                                            >constantly monitor for these little buggers. Other than these, there
                                            >are no other processes kicking in and using a bunch of resources.
                                            >
                                            >Thanks,
                                            >Corl
                                            >

                                            >>Suggestion: Hit Control+ALT+Delete and click on the processes
                                            >>

                                            >tab.
                                            >

                                            >>THEN open NoteTab and go for the file on the other computer, while
                                            >>

                                            >it is
                                            >

                                            >>doing it's 30 second thing, check which running processes kick in
                                            >>

                                            >and
                                            >

                                            >>use a BUNCH of resources.
                                            >>
                                            >>~~
                                            >>
                                            >>Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
                                            >>

                                            >>(\o/)
                                            >>

                                            >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                          • xtx222003
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Dec 14, 2005
                                              Hi Jeffery,

                                              I have Norton as well, I looked at this a week ago, I even set it to
                                              exclude scanning txt files, it made no difference.

                                              The .ini file must be updating because when I open NTP all the files
                                              I left open, open with it.

                                              All my troubleshooting to date only makes a stronger case that the
                                              issue is with NT, but if Norton were the problem, how would you go
                                              about addressing it?

                                              So my firewall might let HomeSite, Word, Dreamweaver, notepad and
                                              other text editors open a txt file immediately, but block the same
                                              file for 30 seconds when opening it with NT??

                                              Thanks,
                                              Corl

                                              > Since it seems to happen on frst opening, I would look at either
                                              the
                                              > Firewall or the antivirus to be the culprit. My Norton System Works
                                              > scans programs as they close, and prevents them from updating their
                                              INI
                                              > files.
                                              >
                                              > ~~
                                              >
                                              > Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
                                              >

                                              > (\o/)
                                            • Alec Burgess (g)
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Dec 14, 2005
                                                Hi Corl:
                                                Fascinating problem! It looks like all the things I could think of to
                                                remotely debug this through the forums have been tried

                                                Just a couple of suggestions that won't solve it but might provide more
                                                data.

                                                If you haven't already got them, get Process Explorer, FileMon and RegMon
                                                (all free and all from sysinternals.com).

                                                You say that it always takes 30 seconds to open the first time in Notetab
                                                but is quick (around 1 to 3 seconds) when opening the first time in Notepad
                                                or other apps that open the same txt file from the network.

                                                1- If you open the same file quickly in Notepad and then try to open it in
                                                Notetab, is it still a slow open? ditto trying to open it first in Notetab
                                                light and then again in Notetab pro?

                                                2- If you have files A,B, and C all on the network drive and in same or
                                                different folders, does "paying" the 30 second wait to open file A the first
                                                time have and effect when you try to open file B and/or file C in the
                                                same/different folders?

                                                With Process Explorer you can "watch" the files in use by Notepad and/or
                                                Notetab as the opening of the file from the network takes place. With
                                                FileMon you can set it to show all accesses to the file from *any* program.

                                                Maybe you'll be able to spot something anomalous - perhaps a firewall or
                                                anti-virus program getting involved that shouldn't (though it sounds like
                                                you've already ruled these out.)

                                                Note: Regmon seems less likely to provide any meaningful information here,
                                                but its a nice tool that might show something ... here or when trying to
                                                debug other problems :-)

                                                Regards ... Alec
                                                --
                                                ; ( ) { } [ ] \ | 9 0 + = () {} []

                                                > I have Norton as well, I looked at this a week ago, I even set it to
                                                > exclude scanning txt files, it made no difference.
                                                >
                                                > The .ini file must be updating because when I open NTP all the files
                                                > I left open, open with it.
                                                >
                                                > All my troubleshooting to date only makes a stronger case that the
                                                > issue is with NT, but if Norton were the problem, how would you go
                                                > about addressing it?
                                                >
                                                > So my firewall might let HomeSite, Word, Dreamweaver, notepad and
                                                > other text editors open a txt file immediately, but block the same
                                                > file for 30 seconds when opening it with NT??
                                                >
                                                > Thanks,
                                                > Corl
                                                >
                                                > > Since it seems to happen on frst opening, I would look at either
                                                > the
                                                > > Firewall or the antivirus to be the culprit. My Norton System Works
                                                > > scans programs as they close, and prevents them from updating their
                                                > INI
                                                > > files.
                                                > >
                                                > > ~~
                                                > >
                                                > > Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
                                                > >

                                                > > (\o/)

                                              • Jeffery Scism
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Dec 14, 2005
                                                  This has probably been asked, does the delay occur if you have no other
                                                  files open in NoteTab? What are the file sizes of the other files?

                                                  ~~

                                                  Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG

                                                  (\o/)

                                                  xtx222003 wrote:

                                                  >Hi Jeffery,
                                                  >
                                                  >I have Norton as well, I looked at this a week ago, I even set it to
                                                  >exclude scanning txt files, it made no difference.
                                                  >
                                                  >The .ini file must be updating because when I open NTP all the files
                                                  >I left open, open with it.
                                                  >
                                                  >All my troubleshooting to date only makes a stronger case that the
                                                  >issue is with NT, but if Norton were the problem, how would you go
                                                  >about addressing it?
                                                  >
                                                  >So my firewall might let HomeSite, Word, Dreamweaver, notepad and
                                                  >other text editors open a txt file immediately, but block the same
                                                  >file for 30 seconds when opening it with NT??
                                                  >
                                                  >Thanks,
                                                  >Corl
                                                  >

                                                  >>Since it seems to happen on frst opening, I would look at either
                                                  >>

                                                  >the
                                                  >

                                                  >>Firewall or the antivirus to be the culprit. My Norton System Works
                                                  >>scans programs as they close, and prevents them from updating their
                                                  >>

                                                  >INI
                                                  >

                                                  >>files.
                                                  >>
                                                  >>~~
                                                  >>
                                                  >>Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
                                                  >>

                                                  >>(\o/)
                                                  >>

                                                  >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                                • sisterscape
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Dec 15, 2005
                                                    After I installed the latest updates - (KB905915) and (KB910437) - IE
                                                    was unusable. I had to do a system restore to get things working
                                                    again. Here's what happened . . .

                                                    When I opened IE after the update, it started to spawn multiple windows
                                                    - at one time over 100!!! - and none of them worked. Obviously that
                                                    locked everything up and there were at lot of hard reboots. I was
                                                    unable to connect to the internet (dialup) to send the error messages
                                                    during this ordeal.

                                                    These are the error messages (more or less). The was also something
                                                    that flashed by about "null":

                                                    Quote: Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You
                                                    may not have appropriate permissions to access this item.

                                                    Quote: An attempt was made to reference a token that does not exist.

                                                    Same thing happened whether I tried to open files locally, through
                                                    local host (with XAMPP) or on the internet.

                                                    Seems that I am not alone in suffering screwups from this update -
                                                    http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com/2005/12/windows-update-maybe-not-thank-you.html

                                                    Just thought I'd should give you a heads up . . .

                                                    sisterscape

                                                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                                                  • xtx222003
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Dec 15, 2005
                                                      Hi Jeffery,

                                                      Yes, I get the same delay even when there are no other files open.

                                                      The files are on average 1-4kb, and never exceed 50kb.

                                                      Thanks,
                                                      Corl
                                                    • xtx222003
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Dec 16, 2005
                                                        Hi Alex,

                                                        Thanks for the tips on the system internals programs. I'll need to
                                                        take some time to explore and understand them.

                                                        Question 1: no difference.

                                                        Question 2: no effect.

                                                        Thanks,
                                                        Corl

                                                        > If you haven't already got them, get Process Explorer, FileMon and
                                                        RegMon
                                                        > (all free and all from sysinternals.com).
                                                        >
                                                        > You say that it always takes 30 seconds to open the first time in
                                                        Notetab
                                                        > but is quick (around 1 to 3 seconds) when opening the first time in
                                                        Notepad
                                                        > or other apps that open the same txt file from the network.
                                                        >
                                                        > 1- If you open the same file quickly in Notepad and then try to
                                                        open it in
                                                        > Notetab, is it still a slow open? ditto trying to open it first in
                                                        Notetab
                                                        > light and then again in Notetab pro?
                                                        >
                                                        > 2- If you have files A,B, and C all on the network drive and in
                                                        same or
                                                        > different folders, does "paying" the 30 second wait to open file A
                                                        the first
                                                        > time have and effect when you try to open file B and/or file C in
                                                        the
                                                        > same/different folders?
                                                      • sisterscape
                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Dec 16, 2005
                                                          I think I have found the solution to my IE problem at
                                                          http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/default.aspx

                                                          Quote:
                                                          IE December Security Update – addressing scattered reports of odd
                                                          browser behavior

                                                          We have received scattered reports of users experiencing odd browser
                                                          behavior after installing our most recent security update. Some of you
                                                          have reported opening a browser window that promptly hangs IE, others
                                                          have reported opening links that render blank, and finally we have
                                                          reports of multiple windows opening when initiating a browser session.
                                                          After investigating several of these reports, we have traced these
                                                          issues to a common source.

                                                          If a user has ever attempted to run IE7 Beta1 in an unsupported
                                                          side-by-side configuration with a version of IE6, IE7 Beta1 puts a
                                                          registry key on the machine the first time a user executes the IE7
                                                          version of IEXPLORE.EXE. This key is part of an normal IE7 installation
                                                          on XP, and will not be configured correctly if an unsupported
                                                          side-by-side install is used. When IE7 is installed using the
                                                          installer, the key should be removed properly upon uninstall. A machine
                                                          can also load this registry key and not remove it during a failed IE7
                                                          installation.

                                                          To address this issue on a machine running IE 6 SP1 with our most
                                                          recent security update, locate and delete this entire key from the
                                                          registry of the affected machine:
                                                          HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{c90250f3-4d7d-4991-9b69-a5c5bc1c2ae6}. If you
                                                          are running IE7 Beta1 in a side-by-side scenario with another version
                                                          of IE, this is not a supported scenario. Please uninstall and reinstall
                                                          IE7 Beta1 in the recommended manner.

                                                          Thank you all for your blog comments reporting this incident. Your
                                                          valuable feedback allowed us to locate this issue in IE7 Beta1 and
                                                          investigate how to prevent the problem in future.

                                                          - Jeremy Dallman

                                                          endquote:

                                                          http://mail.yahoo.com