Re: [NTO] External Monitors on Laptops

    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 18, 2005
      Hi Christine and Others,

      >See, this system doesn't have a PS2 connection for a keyboard, so
      >at this point, I have to keep the screen up to access both
      >keyboard and mouse. I'll eventually find a PS2 to USB adaptor, I
      >figure, to be able to attach both.

      I have at least a dozen USB to PS2 adaptors, but none the other
      way around. Obviously, the Fn keys, etc. are the way to go, but
      USB keyboards are cheap. Try pricewatch.com and make sure their
      rating is good. Don't worry about 8.0 ratings (when you read the
      comments) because people give it a 5.0 and said "their order page
      was confusing," "took 3 days to get product" with *free* UPS
      ground shipping, they put me on hold for 3 minutes when I called
      their free 1-800 number, they sent an OEM product like they said,
      but it was in a used cardboard box, etc. (Yes, there are those... <g>)

      >And while we're talking, anyone know of a Dell support forum? I
      >can't find what I recall to be linked to the Dell web site!

      I would like to know that myself. I have three Dell LCD flat
      screens and a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop with Windows 2005 Media
      Edition. I don't understand why the two cheaper (not Ultra
      whatever) LCD 15" and 17" do not have a brightness control. I can
      use the nVidia control, but the 15" on my son's game computer
      just doesn't look all that great. Two have a Bloody Monster II
      (GeForce) 258 MB video card (my Ultra 17" and my son's 15", but
      my wife's 17" same as my son's only has a 32MB RAM video card)
      and displays much better. I suppose my next thing to do is swap
      out video cards with my son's to see if it is the card, but
      normally, a smaller screen displays much better than the larger
      ones, IMO. Comments welcome?

      I'm still in the 90 day Dell support window frame on the
      monitors, and have a 1 year warranty on them, and a two year of
      the best (tech to site if need be) on my laptop FWIW. Yes,
      probably call Dell support. <g> I tried, but they said I need to
      call the 90 day support people - like in new purchases, but did
      not offer number to their "award winning support." ;) Don't you
      just love hunting down support email addresses/phone numbers?!?
      <bg> Their on-line chat is only for (hmmm, I forget, but it did
      not include me for free - it was a pay thing).

      >Thanks,
      >Christine

      http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
    • Jeffery Scism
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 18, 2005
        There should be a little "pin button" that gets depressed when the cover
        is closed, any way to depress it artificially? Mine is on the top of the
        keyboard near the hinge.

        ~~

        Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG

        (\o/)

      • Ed
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 19, 2005
          I've gone round and round trying to figure this out. It's not terribly
          important, but it is bugging me.
          I have a Dell Inspiron 8600. I want to use an external monitor on it. I
          can get it to work when the laptop is closed, but not when it's open.
          I would like to be able to do that.

          See, this system doesn't have a PS2 connection for a keyboard, so at this
          point, I have to keep the screen up to access both keyboard and mouse. I'll
          eventually find a PS2 to USB adaptor, I figure, to be able to attach both.

          I have so many systems at the moment, I want to stack my laptops and use a
          flat screen, larger monitor I have.
          Any ideas?

          And while we're talking, anyone know of a Dell support forum? I can't find
          what I recall to be linked to the Dell web site!
          I'm continuing to look..

          Thanks,
          Christine

        • Ed
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 19, 2005
            Sorry this was not supposed to have been sent
            Ed
[...]

            Accounting software program Estate program real software Software development program