RE: [NTO] External Monitors on Laptops

  • Christine
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 18, 2005
      Hmmm.
      Thanks, Don!
      My first thought was .... Purple?
      Then I realized I also have a small, unused key with purple letters that
      says, "Fn." I don't think it's phonetic spelling for "Fun," now that I
      really look at it.

      I'll work with it.

      Now if I could just get my stupid computers to talk to each other. One
      doesn't find an IP address, so it's got "limited or no connectivity" (Yet I
      can print off the other computer) and the other can see the main computer,
      but doesn't recognize the user ID and password. Kick me. I really get
      frustrated with XP's protecting me from myself.

      Ah well. Rant done!
      Christine

      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 18, 2005
        At 08:58 AM 11/18/2005, you wrote:

        >Hmmm.
        >Thanks, Don!
        >My first thought was .... Purple?
        >Then I realized I also have a small, unused key with purple letters that
        >says, "Fn." I don't think it's phonetic spelling for "Fun," now that I
        >really look at it.
        >
        >I'll work with it.

        Hello Christine

        The Function Key (purple fn key) and F4 toggle between video options on my
        laptop. The choices are video display on laptop, video on external monitor
        or external monitor only.

        Peter

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 18, 2005
          Hi Christine and Others,

          >See, this system doesn't have a PS2 connection for a keyboard, so
          >at this point, I have to keep the screen up to access both
          >keyboard and mouse. I'll eventually find a PS2 to USB adaptor, I
          >figure, to be able to attach both.

          I have at least a dozen USB to PS2 adaptors, but none the other
          way around. Obviously, the Fn keys, etc. are the way to go, but
          USB keyboards are cheap. Try pricewatch.com and make sure their
          rating is good. Don't worry about 8.0 ratings (when you read the
          comments) because people give it a 5.0 and said "their order page
          was confusing," "took 3 days to get product" with *free* UPS
          ground shipping, they put me on hold for 3 minutes when I called
          their free 1-800 number, they sent an OEM product like they said,
          but it was in a used cardboard box, etc. (Yes, there are those... <g>)

          >And while we're talking, anyone know of a Dell support forum? I
          >can't find what I recall to be linked to the Dell web site!

          I would like to know that myself. I have three Dell LCD flat
          screens and a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop with Windows 2005 Media
          Edition. I don't understand why the two cheaper (not Ultra
          whatever) LCD 15" and 17" do not have a brightness control. I can
          use the nVidia control, but the 15" on my son's game computer
          just doesn't look all that great. Two have a Bloody Monster II
          (GeForce) 258 MB video card (my Ultra 17" and my son's 15", but
          my wife's 17" same as my son's only has a 32MB RAM video card)
          and displays much better. I suppose my next thing to do is swap
          out video cards with my son's to see if it is the card, but
          normally, a smaller screen displays much better than the larger
          ones, IMO. Comments welcome?

          I'm still in the 90 day Dell support window frame on the
          monitors, and have a 1 year warranty on them, and a two year of
          the best (tech to site if need be) on my laptop FWIW. Yes,
          probably call Dell support. <g> I tried, but they said I need to
          call the 90 day support people - like in new purchases, but did
          not offer number to their "award winning support." ;) Don't you
          just love hunting down support email addresses/phone numbers?!?
          <bg> Their on-line chat is only for (hmmm, I forget, but it did
          not include me for free - it was a pay thing).

          >Thanks,
          >Christine

          http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
        • Jeffery Scism
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 18, 2005
            There should be a little "pin button" that gets depressed when the cover
            is closed, any way to depress it artificially? Mine is on the top of the
            keyboard near the hinge.

            ~~

            Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG

            (\o/)

          • Ed
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 19, 2005
              I've gone round and round trying to figure this out. It's not terribly
              important, but it is bugging me.
              I have a Dell Inspiron 8600. I want to use an external monitor on it. I
              can get it to work when the laptop is closed, but not when it's open.
              I would like to be able to do that.

              See, this system doesn't have a PS2 connection for a keyboard, so at this
              point, I have to keep the screen up to access both keyboard and mouse. I'll
              eventually find a PS2 to USB adaptor, I figure, to be able to attach both.

              I have so many systems at the moment, I want to stack my laptops and use a
              flat screen, larger monitor I have.
              Any ideas?

              And while we're talking, anyone know of a Dell support forum? I can't find
              what I recall to be linked to the Dell web site!
              I'm continuing to look..

              Thanks,
              Christine

            • Ed
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 19, 2005
                Sorry this was not supposed to have been sent
                Ed
[...]

                Accounting software program Estate program real software Software development program