External Monitors on Laptops

  • Christine
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 17, 2005
      Hi all!

      I've gone round and round trying to figure this out. It's not terribly
      important, but it is bugging me.
      I have a Dell Inspiron 8600. I want to use an external monitor on it. I
      can get it to work when the laptop is closed, but not when it's open.
      I would like to be able to do that.

      See, this system doesn't have a PS2 connection for a keyboard, so at this
      point, I have to keep the screen up to access both keyboard and mouse. I'll
      eventually find a PS2 to USB adaptor, I figure, to be able to attach both.

      I have so many systems at the moment, I want to stack my laptops and use a
      flat screen, larger monitor I have.
      Any ideas?

      And while we're talking, anyone know of a Dell support forum? I can't find
      what I recall to be linked to the Dell web site!
      I'm continuing to look..

      Thanks,
      Christine

    • Don - htmlfixit.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 17, 2005
        Christine wrote:
        > Hi all!
        >
        > I've gone round and round trying to figure this out. It's not terribly
        > important, but it is bugging me.
        > I have a Dell Inspiron 8600. I want to use an external monitor on it. I
        > can get it to work when the laptop is closed, but not when it's open.
        > I would like to be able to do that.

        > Thanks,
        > Christine

        I have a monitor output on the back of my Dell Latitude. Then I can go
        back and forth between external monitor, laptop screen and both using
        function key (purple) plus f8 or f5 -- I don't remember which. One will
        fry your computer and the other will work like I say. Just guess right
        the first time (just kidding). I think it is f8, but if not use f5.
      • Christine
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 18, 2005
          Hmmm.
          Thanks, Don!
          My first thought was .... Purple?
          Then I realized I also have a small, unused key with purple letters that
          says, "Fn." I don't think it's phonetic spelling for "Fun," now that I
          really look at it.

          I'll work with it.

          Now if I could just get my stupid computers to talk to each other. One
          doesn't find an IP address, so it's got "limited or no connectivity" (Yet I
          can print off the other computer) and the other can see the main computer,
          but doesn't recognize the user ID and password. Kick me. I really get
          frustrated with XP's protecting me from myself.

          Ah well. Rant done!

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 18, 2005
            At 08:58 AM 11/18/2005, you wrote:

            >Hmmm.
            >Thanks, Don!
            >My first thought was .... Purple?
            >Then I realized I also have a small, unused key with purple letters that
            >says, "Fn." I don't think it's phonetic spelling for "Fun," now that I
            >really look at it.
            >
            >I'll work with it.

            Hello Christine

            The Function Key (purple fn key) and F4 toggle between video options on my
            laptop. The choices are video display on laptop, video on external monitor
            or external monitor only.

            Peter

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 18, 2005
              Hi Christine and Others,

              >See, this system doesn't have a PS2 connection for a keyboard, so
              >at this point, I have to keep the screen up to access both
              >keyboard and mouse. I'll eventually find a PS2 to USB adaptor, I
              >figure, to be able to attach both.

              I have at least a dozen USB to PS2 adaptors, but none the other
              way around. Obviously, the Fn keys, etc. are the way to go, but
              USB keyboards are cheap. Try pricewatch.com and make sure their
              rating is good. Don't worry about 8.0 ratings (when you read the
              comments) because people give it a 5.0 and said "their order page
              was confusing," "took 3 days to get product" with *free* UPS
              ground shipping, they put me on hold for 3 minutes when I called
              their free 1-800 number, they sent an OEM product like they said,
              but it was in a used cardboard box, etc. (Yes, there are those... <g>)

              >And while we're talking, anyone know of a Dell support forum? I
              >can't find what I recall to be linked to the Dell web site!

              I would like to know that myself. I have three Dell LCD flat
              screens and a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop with Windows 2005 Media
              Edition. I don't understand why the two cheaper (not Ultra
              whatever) LCD 15" and 17" do not have a brightness control. I can
              use the nVidia control, but the 15" on my son's game computer
              just doesn't look all that great. Two have a Bloody Monster II
              (GeForce) 258 MB video card (my Ultra 17" and my son's 15", but
              my wife's 17" same as my son's only has a 32MB RAM video card)
              and displays much better. I suppose my next thing to do is swap
              out video cards with my son's to see if it is the card, but
              normally, a smaller screen displays much better than the larger
              ones, IMO. Comments welcome?

              I'm still in the 90 day Dell support window frame on the
              monitors, and have a 1 year warranty on them, and a two year of
              the best (tech to site if need be) on my laptop FWIW. Yes,
              probably call Dell support. <g> I tried, but they said I need to
              call the 90 day support people - like in new purchases, but did
              not offer number to their "award winning support." ;) Don't you
              just love hunting down support email addresses/phone numbers?!?
              <bg> Their on-line chat is only for (hmmm, I forget, but it did
              not include me for free - it was a pay thing).

              >Thanks,
              >Christine

              http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
            • Jeffery Scism
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 18, 2005
                There should be a little "pin button" that gets depressed when the cover
                is closed, any way to depress it artificially? Mine is on the top of the
                keyboard near the hinge.

                ~~

                Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG

                (\o/)

              • Ed

                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 19, 2005
                    Sorry this was not supposed to have been sent
                    Ed
[...]

                    Accounting software program Estate program real software Software development program