Re: [NTO] Free Calculator software with virtual Tape feature

  • Larry Hamilton
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 2, 2005
      Thanks, Bob,

      I found that the download link is incorrect. I sent an email to the site
      owner.

      I figured out that the correct download link is:

      http://mwganson.freeyellow.com/MAM/mam130.zip

      The free registration script is a Java applet, so you need to have Java
      working. My Firefox install on Linux is not working with Java, for some
      reason. Thankfully, the now free Opera works without a hitch.

      Larry Hamilton
      Kairos Computer Solutions
      http://www.kairoscomputers.com/
      Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus

      Bob Janes wrote:

      >Hi Larry,
      >
      >Larry Hamilton <> wrote:
      >

      >>Does anyone know of a good free calculator program with a virtual Tape
      >>

      >function?
      >
      >I've used Mark's Adding Machine http://mwganson.freeyellow.com/MAM/ for a
      >while now - it works fine but has some slightly quirky syntax. You need to
      >register (free) to get the tape to go from 25 to 1000 entries.
      >

      >Best wishes
      >
      >Bob

    • Carl Swann
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 3, 2005
        --- Larry Hamilton <lmh@...> wrote:

        > Does anyone know of a good free calculator program
        > with a virtual Tape
        > function?

        Hi Larry... I like CDML, free & beefy (there are 2
        versions, take the free one :-)

        http://www.cdml.com/products/calculator.asp

        Regards,
        Carl

        __________________________________
        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • bubblefisch2002
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 3, 2005
          Hi Larry,
          I once downloaded the TapeCalc 2 by Neil J. Rubenking and I think it
          is the thing you are looking for.

          Raimund

          First Published in PC Magazine, US Edition, August, 2002, v21n14
          TapeCalc, Version 2.0
          Platforms: Windows 95/98/Me/NT4/2000/XP

          License Information:
          The programs presented in PC Magazine are copyrighted and cannot be
          copied or distributed or modified for any purpose, except that a
          single copy may be made for archival purposes only. Use of the
          programs is subject to the terms and conditions of the license
          agreement distributed with the programs.

          The standard Windows calculator was upgraded between Windows 3.1 and
          Windows 95, but it hasn't changed noticeably since then. It offers a
          variety of advanced features that most users don't use, like the
          ability to enter hexadecimal numbers or take the hyperbolic sine of
          pi. Yet it lacks the most important feature found in an old-fashioned
          desk calculator: a tape to record the entered numbers and results.
          TapeCalc 2 is a practical desktop calculator with a "smart" tape that
          records your calculations and lets you correct any errors. Its built-
          in unit-conversion feature provides automatic conversion between
          dozens of different units of measurement. TapeCalc was written by
          Neil J. Rubenking, and first appeared in PC Magazine August, 2002
          (v21n14). Source code is included.
        • Larry Hamilton
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 3, 2005
            Raimund,

            Thanks for the information. I do not think the license is free for
            commercial use.

            bubblefisch2002 wrote:

            >Hi Larry,
            >I once downloaded the TapeCalc 2 by Neil J. Rubenking and I think it
            >is the thing you are looking for.
            >
            >Raimund
            >

            >First Published in PC Magazine, US Edition, August, 2002, v21n14
            >TapeCalc, Version 2.0
            >Platforms: Windows 95/98/Me/NT4/2000/XP
            >
            >License Information:
            >The programs presented in PC Magazine are copyrighted and cannot be
            >copied or distributed or modified for any purpose, except that a
            >single copy may be made for archival purposes only. Use of the
            >programs is subject to the terms and conditions of the license
            >agreement distributed with the programs.

            >The standard Windows calculator was upgraded between Windows 3.1 and
            >Windows 95, but it hasn't changed noticeably since then. It offers a
            >variety of advanced features that most users don't use, like the
            >ability to enter hexadecimal numbers or take the hyperbolic sine of
            >pi. Yet it lacks the most important feature found in an old-fashioned
            >desk calculator: a tape to record the entered numbers and results.
            >TapeCalc 2 is a practical desktop calculator with a "smart" tape that
            >records your calculations and lets you correct any errors. Its built-
            >in unit-conversion feature provides automatic conversion between
            >dozens of different units of measurement. TapeCalc was written by
            >Neil J. Rubenking, and first appeared in PC Magazine August, 2002
            >(v21n14). Source code is included.
            >

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Larry Hamilton
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 3, 2005
              Thanks, Carl.

              I see what you mean by, "beefy", over 2MB. The license is only free for
              non-commercial use, so I cannot use it at work.

              I did determine that the one from moffsoft that I found yesterday is
              free for commercial use and does just what I need.

              Thanks to everyone for all their helpful suggestions!