Re: [NTO] Free Calculator software with virtual Tape feature

  • Hugo Paulissen
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 2, 2005
      >Hi Larry,
      >
      >Larry Hamilton <> wrote:
      >

      >>Does anyone know of a good free calculator program with a virtual Tape

      http://www.esbcalc.com?

      Hugo
    • Larry Hamilton
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 2, 2005
        Thanks, Hugo.

        I will check it out in the office tomorrow.

        This runs under Linux.

        Larry Hamilton
        Kairos Computer Solutions
        http://www.kairoscomputers.com/
        Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus

        Hugo Paulissen wrote:

        >>Hi Larry,
        >>
        >>Larry Hamilton <> wrote:
        >>

        >>>Does anyone know of a good free calculator program with a virtual Tape
        >>>

        >http://www.esbcalc.com?
        >
        >Hugo
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Larry Hamilton
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 2, 2005
          Thanks, Bob,

          I found that the download link is incorrect. I sent an email to the site
          owner.

          I figured out that the correct download link is:

          http://mwganson.freeyellow.com/MAM/mam130.zip

          The free registration script is a Java applet, so you need to have Java
          working. My Firefox install on Linux is not working with Java, for some
          reason. Thankfully, the now free Opera works without a hitch.

          Bob Janes wrote:

          >Hi Larry,
          >
          >Larry Hamilton <> wrote:
          >

          >>Does anyone know of a good free calculator program with a virtual Tape
          >>

          >function?
          >
          >I've used Mark's Adding Machine http://mwganson.freeyellow.com/MAM/ for a
          >while now - it works fine but has some slightly quirky syntax. You need to
          >register (free) to get the tape to go from 25 to 1000 entries.
          >

          >Best wishes
          >
          >Bob

        • Carl Swann
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 3, 2005
            --- Larry Hamilton <lmh@...> wrote:

            > Does anyone know of a good free calculator program
            > with a virtual Tape
            > function?

            Hi Larry... I like CDML, free & beefy (there are 2
            versions, take the free one :-)

            http://www.cdml.com/products/calculator.asp

            Regards,
            Carl

            __________________________________
            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • bubblefisch2002
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 3, 2005
              Hi Larry,
              I once downloaded the TapeCalc 2 by Neil J. Rubenking and I think it
              is the thing you are looking for.

              Raimund

              First Published in PC Magazine, US Edition, August, 2002, v21n14
              TapeCalc, Version 2.0
              Platforms: Windows 95/98/Me/NT4/2000/XP

              License Information:
              The programs presented in PC Magazine are copyrighted and cannot be
              copied or distributed or modified for any purpose, except that a
              single copy may be made for archival purposes only. Use of the
              programs is subject to the terms and conditions of the license
              agreement distributed with the programs.

              The standard Windows calculator was upgraded between Windows 3.1 and
              Windows 95, but it hasn't changed noticeably since then. It offers a
              variety of advanced features that most users don't use, like the
              ability to enter hexadecimal numbers or take the hyperbolic sine of
              pi. Yet it lacks the most important feature found in an old-fashioned
              desk calculator: a tape to record the entered numbers and results.
              TapeCalc 2 is a practical desktop calculator with a "smart" tape that
              records your calculations and lets you correct any errors. Its built-
              in unit-conversion feature provides automatic conversion between
              dozens of different units of measurement. TapeCalc was written by
              Neil J. Rubenking, and first appeared in PC Magazine August, 2002
              (v21n14). Source code is included.
            • Larry Hamilton
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 3, 2005
                Raimund,

                Thanks for the information. I do not think the license is free for
                commercial use.

                bubblefisch2002 wrote:

                >Hi Larry,
                >I once downloaded the TapeCalc 2 by Neil J. Rubenking and I think it
                >is the thing you are looking for.
                >
                >Raimund
                >

                >First Published in PC Magazine, US Edition, August, 2002, v21n14
                >TapeCalc, Version 2.0
                >Platforms: Windows 95/98/Me/NT4/2000/XP
                >
                >License Information:
                >The programs presented in PC Magazine are copyrighted and cannot be
                >copied or distributed or modified for any purpose, except that a
                >single copy may be made for archival purposes only. Use of the
                >programs is subject to the terms and conditions of the license
                >agreement distributed with the programs.

                >The standard Windows calculator was upgraded between Windows 3.1 and
                >Windows 95, but it hasn't changed noticeably since then. It offers a
                >variety of advanced features that most users don't use, like the
                >ability to enter hexadecimal numbers or take the hyperbolic sine of
                >pi. Yet it lacks the most important feature found in an old-fashioned
                >desk calculator: a tape to record the entered numbers and results.
                >TapeCalc 2 is a practical desktop calculator with a "smart" tape that
                >records your calculations and lets you correct any errors. Its built-
                >in unit-conversion feature provides automatic conversion between
                >dozens of different units of measurement. TapeCalc was written by
                >Neil J. Rubenking, and first appeared in PC Magazine August, 2002
                >(v21n14). Source code is included.
                >

                >Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Larry Hamilton
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 3, 2005
                  Thanks, Carl.

                  I see what you mean by, "beefy", over 2MB. The license is only free for
                  non-commercial use, so I cannot use it at work.

                  I did determine that the one from moffsoft that I found yesterday is
                  free for commercial use and does just what I need.

                  Thanks to everyone for all their helpful suggestions!