Free Calculator software with virtual Tape feature

  • Larry Hamilton
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 2, 2005
      Does anyone know of a good free calculator program with a virtual Tape
      function?

      I found two using Google:

      Moffsoft Free Calc is the one that comes up at the top of most lists.
      http://www.moffsoft.com/freecalc.htm

      Auditor Calculator is another.
      http://www.auditor2000.co.il/aucalcdl.htm

      I am sure that the Moffsoft one is better on Windows. It will install on
      Linux with wine, but will not start. The Auditor Calculator installs and
      runs on Linux using wine. One limitation it has, whether on Linux or
      Windows, is that you cannot clear the tape unless you exit the program.

      I did find one Linux calculator with a tape feature on Sourceforge:
      gtapecalc. I got it to install, but it will not run. It looks like it
      has not been updated for a couple of years.

      I support accounting & payroll software in my day job, and all too often
      have to help clients balance. A calculator is smaller and quicker to
      load than Excel, or other spreadsheet. I also find it helpful when
      balancing the checkbook at home.

      Yes, I know that NoteTab, and several other text editors, have the
      ability to sum numbers.

      I am also looking for something simple to recommend to clients.

      I think these two examples will meet my needs, but wanted to know if
      anyone has found anything better.

      Thanks!

      --
      Larry Hamilton
      Kairos Computer Solutions
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 2, 2005
        Hi Larry,

        Larry Hamilton <> wrote:
        > Does anyone know of a good free calculator program with a virtual Tape
        function?

        I've used Mark's Adding Machine http://mwganson.freeyellow.com/MAM/ for a
        while now - it works fine but has some slightly quirky syntax. You need to
        register (free) to get the tape to go from 25 to 1000 entries.

        Best wishes

        Bob

        --

        bob <at> bobjanes.com
        www.bobjanes.com

        It is never too late to be what you might have been. - Farmer's
        Almanac, 1995
      • Hugo Paulissen
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 2, 2005
          >Hi Larry,
          >
          >Larry Hamilton <> wrote:
          >

          >>Does anyone know of a good free calculator program with a virtual Tape

          http://www.esbcalc.com?

          Hugo
        • Larry Hamilton
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 2, 2005
            Thanks, Hugo.

            I will check it out in the office tomorrow.

            This runs under Linux.

            Hugo Paulissen wrote:

            >>Hi Larry,
            >>
            >>Larry Hamilton <> wrote:
            >>

            >>>Does anyone know of a good free calculator program with a virtual Tape
            >>>

            >http://www.esbcalc.com?
            >
            >Hugo
            >

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Larry Hamilton
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 2, 2005
              Thanks, Bob,

              I found that the download link is incorrect. I sent an email to the site
              owner.

              I figured out that the correct download link is:

              http://mwganson.freeyellow.com/MAM/mam130.zip

              The free registration script is a Java applet, so you need to have Java
              working. My Firefox install on Linux is not working with Java, for some
              reason. Thankfully, the now free Opera works without a hitch.

              Bob Janes wrote:

              >Hi Larry,
              >
              >Larry Hamilton <> wrote:
              >

              >>Does anyone know of a good free calculator program with a virtual Tape
              >>

              >function?
              >
              >I've used Mark's Adding Machine http://mwganson.freeyellow.com/MAM/ for a
              >while now - it works fine but has some slightly quirky syntax. You need to
              >register (free) to get the tape to go from 25 to 1000 entries.
              >

              >Best wishes
              >
              >Bob

            • Carl Swann
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 3, 2005
                --- Larry Hamilton <lmh@...> wrote:

                > Does anyone know of a good free calculator program
                > with a virtual Tape
                > function?

                Hi Larry... I like CDML, free & beefy (there are 2
                versions, take the free one :-)

                http://www.cdml.com/products/calculator.asp

                Regards,
                Carl

                __________________________________
                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • bubblefisch2002
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 3, 2005
                  Hi Larry,
                  I once downloaded the TapeCalc 2 by Neil J. Rubenking and I think it
                  is the thing you are looking for.

                  Raimund

                  First Published in PC Magazine, US Edition, August, 2002, v21n14
                  TapeCalc, Version 2.0
                  Platforms: Windows 95/98/Me/NT4/2000/XP

                  License Information:
                  The programs presented in PC Magazine are copyrighted and cannot be
                  copied or distributed or modified for any purpose, except that a
                  single copy may be made for archival purposes only. Use of the
                  programs is subject to the terms and conditions of the license
                  agreement distributed with the programs.

                  The standard Windows calculator was upgraded between Windows 3.1 and
                  Windows 95, but it hasn't changed noticeably since then. It offers a
                  variety of advanced features that most users don't use, like the
                  ability to enter hexadecimal numbers or take the hyperbolic sine of
                  pi. Yet it lacks the most important feature found in an old-fashioned
                  desk calculator: a tape to record the entered numbers and results.
                  TapeCalc 2 is a practical desktop calculator with a "smart" tape that
                  records your calculations and lets you correct any errors. Its built-
                  in unit-conversion feature provides automatic conversion between
                  dozens of different units of measurement. TapeCalc was written by
                  Neil J. Rubenking, and first appeared in PC Magazine August, 2002
                  (v21n14). Source code is included.
                • Larry Hamilton
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 3, 2005
                    Raimund,

                    Thanks for the information. I do not think the license is free for
                    commercial use.

                    bubblefisch2002 wrote:

                    >Hi Larry,
                    >I once downloaded the TapeCalc 2 by Neil J. Rubenking and I think it
                    >is the thing you are looking for.
                    >
                    >Raimund
                    >

                    >First Published in PC Magazine, US Edition, August, 2002, v21n14
                    >TapeCalc, Version 2.0
                    >Platforms: Windows 95/98/Me/NT4/2000/XP
                    >
                    >License Information:
                    >The programs presented in PC Magazine are copyrighted and cannot be
                    >copied or distributed or modified for any purpose, except that a
                    >single copy may be made for archival purposes only. Use of the
                    >programs is subject to the terms and conditions of the license
                    >agreement distributed with the programs.

                    >The standard Windows calculator was upgraded between Windows 3.1 and
                    >Windows 95, but it hasn't changed noticeably since then. It offers a
                    >variety of advanced features that most users don't use, like the
                    >ability to enter hexadecimal numbers or take the hyperbolic sine of
                    >pi. Yet it lacks the most important feature found in an old-fashioned
                    >desk calculator: a tape to record the entered numbers and results.
                    >TapeCalc 2 is a practical desktop calculator with a "smart" tape that
                    >records your calculations and lets you correct any errors. Its built-
                    >in unit-conversion feature provides automatic conversion between
                    >dozens of different units of measurement. TapeCalc was written by
                    >Neil J. Rubenking, and first appeared in PC Magazine August, 2002
                    >(v21n14). Source code is included.
                    >

                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Larry Hamilton
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 3, 2005
                      Thanks, Carl.

                      I see what you mean by, "beefy", over 2MB. The license is only free for
                      non-commercial use, so I cannot use it at work.

                      I did determine that the one from moffsoft that I found yesterday is
                      free for commercial use and does just what I need.

                      Thanks to everyone for all their helpful suggestions!