RE: [NH] Changing CMOS and Formatting Hard Drive

  • Greg Chapman
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30, 2005
      Hi Jody,

      Isn't this a bit Off-topic? :-)

      > I don't know when I'll have time to do this, but I have a new
      > laptop. It is an HP with 100MB drive and a Phoenix CMOS.
      >
      > Can I replace a CMOS

      As I understand it the BIOS (and CMOS) are so much part and parcel of the
      basic hardware, motherboard, chipsets, etc, that it will not be possible,
      unless you replace most of the fundamental hardware.

      I stand to be corrected (on the OT list!)

      Greg
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 4, 2005
        Hi Marcelo, and All Others,

        I read all your mail and got what I suspected for answers; in
        short, firmware and hardware related, HP's customer (Circuit City
        in this case), warranty issues, etc. I also spoke with HP support
        and searched HP and Phoenix sites, etc. I pretty much came up
        with the same stuff as all of you mentioned. The tech support
        manager did say he would pass my request on to the development
        engineers to see if there was like a Pro version of the BIOS/CMOS
        that would work with my laptop. Also, that I would be willing to
        pay for it if they had to do say firmware changes and the
        BIOS/CMOS Pro version. Well, we know that won't get too far, but
        HP support has really surprised me over the years, so I though I
        would ask/suggest. <g> More...

        >> I don't know when I'll have time to do this, but I have a new
        >> laptop. It is an HP with 100MB drive and a Phoenix CMOS/BIOS.
        >>
        >> Can I replace a CMOS/BIOS, like the pitiful one above with (I
        >> think) Megatrend or the one I want it that is the wrong name?
        >> If so, any pointers? Where do I get the CMOS that I want? Is it
        >> free normally? Can I copy it from another computer? Am I asking
        >> for trouble? <bg So far, I cannot boot up into DOS with what I
        >> have available. It appears I can if I get a USB Floppy drive so
        >> I can then use PQ Magic without having to reformat the drive.

        The Megatrend was wrong - it is Award that I'm use to. My PQ Magic
        version is just too old I think.

        >Generally speaking, you should only use a BIOS supplied by your
        >computer/motherboard maker. Although they may seem the same
        >(same general appearance / version number), BIOSes for different
        >computers are actually different: they are "tuned" to that
        >specific motherboard, and using them in any other system is a
        >recipe for disaster. In fact, some BIOS flash software will
        >check if the BIOS is appropriate for that motherboard and plain
        >refuse to install if it's the wrong one.
        >
        >And it's very, very, very rare for a computer maker to make
        >available two different brands of BIOS for the same machine. If
        >there is some problem with the initial BIOS release, they will
        >update it with a new version from the same supplier. I think you
        >will have to stay with a Phoenix BIOS. Although I'm not sure why
        >you consider it "pitiful" -- most BIOS brands have been very
        >stable for quite a few years now. Any limitations in your BIOS
        >configurability is result of the manufacturer's (HP) requests,
        >not a lack of flexibility on the part of the BIOS itself.

        I found out that it is a HP/their customer issue, that is, which
        BIOS do you want, or how do you want the BIOS configured, etc. I
        basically figured out two factors about it. Both end up with as
        the bottom line $$$. First, the "pitiful" meaning that is has
        about 20 (and I am even counting the time change in hours,
        minutes, am/pm, etc as 3 or more choices. In other words, very,
        very few configurable options in BIOS. So, few options, less
        money. The second is, few options, less support calls from the
        user messing around and have to call support to get it up and
        running again.

        A lot of the stuff can be done in Windows now, but there are
        those things that Windows won't allow, or software has to be
        uninstalled (and sometimes that doesn't work, because Windows
        reinstalls it with no questions asked). For instance, in order
        for my mini-RF mouse to work the touch pad has to be disabled, at
        least on the laptop I returned. (The HP has a button to push to
        disable it.) Windows does not let you disable the onboard
        pointing device though and in the BIOS supplied, no devices can
        be disabled. I'd rather do it in BIOS than have to have Windows
        do it for a slower startup time, if it can be done at all. I'm
        not looking for an answer to that, just using it as an example.
        Who knows, maybe Start | Run | msconfig has it listed. ;)

        >Now, about your notebook... is it a 100 Mb drive (quite old) or a
        >100 Gb drive (brand-new)?

        LOL! A brain malfunction typo dude! 100Gb, brand new. ;)

        So, for now anyway, I'm stuck with what I have, but I've been
        finding work-a-rounds here and there.

        Thanks for all your contributions!

        BTW and FWIW, the guy at Circuit City said, sure, you can change
        the BIOS if you want. Back up the original just in case. <g>

        Oh, I ended up getting the BootItNG, (recommended by ? on the
        list ;) to get my drive partitioned and will probably buy it. I
        think PQ Magic is more user friendly, but it is also $30.00 more.
        I have tried out a PQ Magic since version 5.

        http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
      • John Mitchell
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 5, 2005

          It wasn't me who recommended BootitNG but I'll happily second the
          suggestion. It's a decision I'm sure you won't regret. Not only is
          BootitNG $30 less than PM, it also has a lot more to offer as you will
          quickly find out when you start monkeying with it. I stumbled across it
          several years ago and it very quickly became a "must have". A bit like
          Notetab really, including an outstanding level of support! Whilst you
          are at it, check out Image For Windows / Image For DOS. They complement
          BootitNG and if you take the lot as a bundle there is quite a saving.
          Using IFW I can back up my Notebook system to an external USB2 drive in
          under 30 mins so I now make a habit of taking a snapshot 3 times a week.
          I start the process, go for a leisurely cup of coffee, and by the time I
          get back it's done.

          Regards, John M