Re: [Clip] MakeShortcut command

  • Larry Hamilton
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 29, 2005
      Jamal,

      THANKS! I had heard of Auto-It, but I had not seen it for a few years.
      It is now much better than it was! I really like the ability to create
      stand-alone exes! I already built a hard-coded script to do what I need,
      in just five minutes. Now I will build one to ask for parameters, etc.

      I can see so many possibilities for the support role. If we cannot
      establish a remote connection to fix a problem, we can make a script,
      compile it, and email it to the client. This will allow us techs to
      solve many problems that the programmers do not have time to worry
      about. I can even build a GUI for some perl data conversion scripts I
      made, since the one who uses them can never remember how to use the
      character menu I made.

      We better take any further discussion to the NT Off-Topic List.

      This helped make my day. I have not had much enthusiasm for work for
      quite some time. Solving a long standing problem and having a new
      flexible tool to help with many types of issues, makes it fun again.
      That's one thing that I really like about the NoteTab lists!

      Larry Hamilton
      Kairos Computer Solutions
      http://www.kairoscomputers.com/
      Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus

      Jamal Mazrui wrote:

      >Hi Larry,
      >I'm not sure if this would work for you, but let me make sure you're aware of the free AutoIt scripting language and compiler, available from
      >http://www.AutoITScript.com

    • acummingsus
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 30, 2005
        Hi Larry,

        On/about the topic of exe

        http://www.americansys.com/ezmacros.htm

        shareware. can do, can make an exe. I'm not sure whether the PC that
        is to subsequently run the exe needs EZ Macros installed or not.

        I don't know if shortcut is a part of what it does.

        I bought EZ Macros upwards of several years ago through a Fookes
        Software offer offered at the time.

        I've used it on and off over the years (and glad I had got it). Run
        Linux too much now though.

        Ya see, Linux, folks, loves to be scripted. That's the Linux form of
        macro. The basics of bash shell programming some people like, others
        don't. I liked it and found it easy. But I use Perl too. I also use
        the GUI interface at times too. Right now I'm using Mozilla on Linux
        it looks nearly the same as it does on Windows.

        http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=perl+2+to+exe&btnG=Search

        perl2exe

        Not sure but I think it's an Activestate product.

        Make the exe on your machine that has Perl on it. The PC that then
        runs the exe does not need Perl installed.

        There used to (may still) be a popular freeware Rss news client for
        Win that is an exe, made with the perl2exe

        I know it works well lots the time. I don't know if it always can
        work. I haven't ever used this product myself.

        Look like shortcut be handled for you with the Autoit.

        I haven't searched in the Win registry -- probably entries are held
        there for shortcut icon etc. Notetab clip can add new text entries to
        the registry. Not binary reg entry though -- need Perl or another to
        do binary reg entry.

        Just some thoughts at the very end there.

        Alan.
      • Larry Hamilton
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 30, 2005
          Alan,

          Yeah, I knew there was a Perl to exe product. There is a free one that
          last I knew is not as easy to use as the for a fee one.

          I am using Linux at home most of the time. I only use Windows to apply
          the latest bug fixes from Microsoft so the kids can play their games
          that Linux can't quite handle.

          I've been doing some Bash scripting. I figured out how to make it spit
          out a greeting based on morning/afternoon/evening. It sort of reminds me
          of the shell accounts on the mainframe back in college. I can even make
          the bright green on dark green screen, if I really want to reminisce.

          One thing I am trying to get information on, is how to clean up the
          different junk files on Linux. I have found some good links, and it
          seems that there are only a few places to look for files. For Windows,
          there are lots of free ware tools. For Linux it takes some scripting. I
          added some .bashrc aliases to look for big files by different
          extensions, so I can evaluate what to do with them. If I had a need, I
          could also add to my crontab.

          There is a lot of power in Linux, you can get most of it with the GUI
          tools that have been built up, but some of the really cool stuff still
          requires scripting, usually the kind of thing only a computer nerd would
          want to do. For most users who just want to do documents, spreadsheets,
          email, and web browsing, Linux is ready. There are free tools to do it
          all. Even for advanced uses, there are graphics, audio, and video tools.
          There are lots of games, but all the fancy Windows game titles are
          lacking. Some are starting to argue that the days of the PC as a gaming
          platform are limited. I do not buy it. Anybody that plunks down a large
          chunk of cash for a high-end PC will want to use it. I cannot see
          hard-core gamers giving up on the PC. I'm not a hard-core gamer. I grew
          up on Pong, Asteroids and the like. I like the graphics and action of
          the new games, but it is so time-consuming. I like to finish the game,
          so I end up playing all night because I lose track of the time.

          The hard part is getting a Linux distribution that is plug and play
          simple to install like the later versions of Windows. It is getting
          closer all the time. I do not have time, or a spare PC to try all the
          flavors of Linux that are supposed to be a simple install. Once Linux
          has that, and businesses start to use it, then more home users will use
          it. I think that is one way that the Mac on Intel will help. It is BSD
          based (Unix), but Apple made it easy to use like their own Mac OS, they
          just made it too pricey for everybody to have one. If a Mac on Intel was
          in the price range of my current computer, I would get one. But at the
          current prices, I can get two or three PCs or one really powerful one.

          Another benefit, is with Wine, I can still run all my favorite Windows
          tools on Linux, like NoteTab. ;-) If not for my day job, I would go
          weeks without using Windows. ;-)