Re: [NTO] need info on most reliable computer setup under hurricane conditions

  • blake mooney
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 21, 2005
      Mike,

      Thanks a million for the info! Amazingly, these **ruggedized laptop** computers are so obviously needed but so seldom talked about. I was apalled by the collapse/breakup/failure of the typical "popular brand computers!" whether desktop or laptop!!! Few lasted over 2 days! Moisture and plain grime must have ruined the contacts within them, and there we were---staring at each other just looking as stupid as a mountaineer on top of Everest hitting his last flashlight against his leg, knowing his last battery is gone and the clouds have blotted out the moonlight and the path down!

      The grim story you'll eventually read all about will be what happened the night of the sotrm at Maptist Memorial Hospital on Napoleon Avenue. The doctors and nurses who had the courage to remain worked on many people too ill to move until they were forced to leave. What happened to the sick people who remained? It's a terrible story and one few people will believe or certainly not want to believe...yet those people are all dead. Worse, everything was done in the dark. Howling winds and rain broke the windows and glass doors out. Eventually, I'm told, it was every man for himself. Reminded me of the Dien Bien Phu battle where the little French nurse became the hero and the French Generals and other officers were found hiding under the tables as the N. Koreans finished off the place.

      But thanks so much for the insights! Will keep you posted as things develop.

      Blake

      mooney_rb@...

      Mike Hopkins <ironmike@...> wrote: Blake, what you are looking for is probably a **ruggedized laptop** such as
      the military now uses in battlefield situations. These units meet *MIL-SPC
      810F* and are resistant to shock, vibration, dust, moisture, temperature
      extremes and high altitude conditions.

      Panasonic is one of several vendors which supply rugged and ruggedized
      computers to civilian emergency services and the army.