Re: [NTO] post Katrina checkin (was Re: Long web pages [was: Working with Adobe PDF docs.])

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 5, 2005
      Hi Lotta and All,

      >> Has anyone heard from Jody, or any other regulars known to be
      >> in the area since Katrina hit?
      >
      >Only Barry, who has posted he's well here on the list. Isn't Jody
      >on vacation? He posted about that earlier. Who else is from that
      >area?

      <Way off topic>
      I was up in Yankee land during it all on a three week vacation.
      Went to 4 Six Flags and did about 35 roller coasters, some of
      them 2-3 times. My 9 year old son kept this 55 year young man
      running ragged. Some of the software for the rides (Superman in
      particular at 3 Six Flags) was done by a programmer in
      Switzerland and Eric knows him. :) I gave the three Superman
      roller coasters a 9.5, 9.8, and a 10.0. My son gave them roughly
      the same rating. I gave Kingda Ka a 10+, but my son only gave it
      a 10.0, because it was too short. It is the tallest and fastest
      roller coaster in the world. 428' high and does 0-128MPH in just
      about 3 seconds. <g> The Utilities Library has a miles<-
      >kilometer converter for those of you on the metric system.
      128MPH = 205.99KPH; 428 feet = (cm in 12 inches)
      30.48*428=13045.44 Centimeters. <g> I don't know the formula from
      feet to meters or yards to meters. Uh, divide by 10? 13045.44/10
      = 1304.54 meters?? ;) And yes, I was in a lot of pain from my
      throat from the overdose of radiation they gave me 10 years ago.
      My spine is already fragmenting, throat swollen shut, etc. But!!!
      To spend the time with my nine year old is worth all the pain in
      the world! :-) Other 9.5 or better roller coasters were Medusa,
      The Mind Eraser, Nitro, Batman, Boomerang/Chiller, and others.

      Oh, Attitash had the longest Alpine sled in the world; about 1.25
      miles (almost 2 KM roughly) down a fiberglass track on a
      fiberglass sled. It is totally wicked! ;) Some people would wipe
      out and get super bad burns on them where their skin was sliding
      down the track. I only braked if absolutely necessary, just
      tucked down close to the sled, and became one with it. :) I had
      the sled partly off the track on some corners (YEAH-WHEWIE!!!)
      Some girl broke a rib on it that happened to be telling the
      attendant the day before when she bit it. I was amazed that they
      didn't even require helmets since if you do not slow down when
      they have the huge orange SLOW DOWN banners across the track you
      will fly off the track! It makes it all that much more excited,
      don't you think? :)

      As far as Katrina goes, just a few broken tree branches here. I'm
      halfway between Mobile, Alabama and Ft. Walton Beach, FL. About
      30 miles east of Pensacola. There were some power outages and
      phones down with intermittent cell phones, but they had that all
      up in less than 24 hours from what I can tell. :)
      </way off topic>

      See ya in the funnies!

      http://www.clean-funnies.com

      you missed a good joke! 8?D

      The NoteTabbers Assistant Page
      http://www.notetab.net

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 15, 2005
        Hi Alec,

        >Has anyone heard from Jody, or any other regulars known to be in
        >the area since Katrina hit?

        I posted in a few different messages here and there on different
        lists including this one I think and just posted on the MB list.
        We were fine through Katrina -just some broken tree limbs that I
        almost feel ashamed mentioned due to New Orleans... We were on
        vacation the whole time, but would have definitely been ready for
        evacuation had it changed course at the last minute. That was an
        awesome hurricane with its wide spread of actual hurricane force
        winds.

        I know if we were here our car would have been packed, gassed up,
        and ready to hit the road within a few minutes. We have enough
        evacuation routes from here to get further inland pretty quick or
        "fly" east/west on the Interstate just a few miles from us and a
        state highway to do the same if going north is too congested. We
        are already out in the country so we would not have all the
        congestion getting out of a town/city that others do have.

        http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
      • Alec Burgess
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 15, 2005
          I just saw a fascinating discussion on CNN comparing how fast local, state
          and federal goverments responded to the 1906 San Francisco earhtquake and
          resulting fires. Teddy Roseveldt was president at the time, but up and down
          the line the response times put current-day reactions to Katrina to shame
          --
          Regards ... Alec