Re: Long web pages [was: Working with Adobe PDF docs.]

  • Carol Whitney
    Message 1 of 37 , Sep 4, 2005
      Greg, I'm hoping to get some time to work on putting together a print
      media style sheet for my web site.

      What's the chance you could .ZIP up your print-media style sheet (is
      it external? it looks as though it is) and attach it to an email to
      me? I've put your email address (the one you use to post here) on my
      whitelist, so you can attach a file and it will get past my draconian
      mail filters. Please email to:

      cwhitney @ islandnet.com

      (remove the spaces on both sides of the @ sign)

      At 10:21 05-08-26 +0100, Greg Chapman wrote:

      >Just add an additional line to your HTML and upload an additional style
      >sheet with the variations needed for the printed version of the
      >page. The
      >cascading nature of style sheets will ensure that the standard
      >styling is
      >overridden when printed by the print media version.
      >
      >So at:
      >http://www.eastwalton.fsworld.co.uk/
      >you will find the lines:
      >
      ><LINK rel="stylesheet" href="eastwalton.css" type="text/css">
      ><LINK rel="stylesheet" href="prneastwalton.css" type="text/css"
      >media="print">
      >
      >in the <HEAD> of all my pages and in the additional style sheet, I
      >have such lines as:
      >
      >#main {background : transparent none; color : #000000;}
      >
      >which on a page of coloured text would ensure that I don't force
      >users to have to throw away an otherwise full colour cartridge, and
      >
      >.menu {display : none;}
      >
      >which gets rid of all the navigation stuff on every page. I replace it
      >either with a bottom border, on the headings which always appears
      >above it, or a top border to the dateline which always appears at
      >the bottom of the page:
      >
      >h1 {border-bottom : 1pt solid #0066FF;}
      >
      >.date{border-top : 1pt solid #0066FF;
      > font-size : 8pt;
      > margin-top : 12pt;
      > text-align : right;}
      >
      >I'm not saying I've got a perfect implementation, but on sites such
      >as yours the technique could be very helpful for visitors.

      I think I'm following you reasonably well here - at least in theory.

      >Without these techniques being implemented on the sites that I
      >visit, the
      >only alternative is often to select the relevant part of a page and
      >then use
      >the browser's "Print Selection" feature, which is somewhat more
      >cumbersome.

      Yes; sounds very cumbersome, and really not practical at all.

      I'm still very lost, though. I have no idea how to implement the
      following:

      Say I might also provide a style sheet like my visual-formatting one,
      but with different colors, as well as a print-media style sheet. And,
      thinking of Blake, how about one that omits all colors, and the
      background images, but includes the navigation? Presumably each of
      these would be a separate external style sheet that applies to every
      page on the site.

      How do I set up to allow the visitor to select one or another of the
      style sheets? Maybe it's right there in your post, but I don't know
      how to implement that on the page itself. What does the visitor do,
      click on a link you provide?

      Thanks in advance if and when you have time to reply!

      Sun, 04 Sep 2005 11:18:32
      Carol Whitney
      http://www.coherentdog.org/
      *** I receive plain text only. To attach a file, notify me first. ***
    • Carol Whitney
      Message 37 of 37 , Sep 4, 2005
        At 00:10 05-09-05 +0100, Greg Chapman wrote:
        >If you "View Source" on any page on the site you'll see that the
        >relevant
        >line about style sheets is:
        >
        ><LINK rel="stylesheet" href="prneastwalton.css" type="text/css"
        >media="print">
        >
        >You know that the site is at:
        >
        >http://www.eastwalton.fsworld.co.uk/
        >
        >so just point your browser at:
        >
        >http://www.eastwalton.fsworld.co.uk/prneastwalton.css
        >
        >and it should download into Internet Explorer, or whatever
        >application you have set to open CSS files.

        So I'm using Firefox; I avoid IE whenever possible. Using Opera
        sometimes too, but Firefox's Webdeveloper toolbar works better than
        Opera's does, so I use that most of the time.

        >Try the same technique on:
        >
        >http://www.seahawk17.plus.com/
        >
        >another of my sites which uses the same general technique.

        Thanks; I got that also. Need to study now! And figure out how to set
        things up so the visitor can choose. Well, I guess I also need to
        save your page source, so I'll do that too; it must have a place from
        which to choose.

        Firefox gave me a menu from the Webdeveloper toolbar from which to
        choose, but that wouldn't be how a person, say, using IE, would
        choose, nor one using a browser without Ff's webdeveloper toolbar. So
        I'll be back again.

        >I'll be away from my computer for a while after tomorrow, so there
        >may be a delay in responses from me.

        Well, I have too many delays (sometimes permanent) in replies - just
        because I get into severe overload, and can't do everything. I do try
        to reply to such helpful posts as yours <g>

        Thanks a million!

        Sun, 04 Sep 2005 16:44:24