Re: [NTO] Re: Long web pages [was: Working with Adobe PDF docs.]

  • r. blake mooney
    Message 1 of 37 , Sep 4, 2005
      You're right, Barry.... The "racism" flag has come out in the open now and sides are being taken nationwide, but the plain fact is that it will take too many BILLIONS of $$$ to rebuild this place! And who wants to invest in a BOWL below sea level!!! If I were a Dutchman back in the 15th century I would know exactly what to do, but I'm in the middle of rotting politicians of every stripe: repubs and dems. The following part-articles by Dowd is worth including as it affects all of you and it will do so within 1 or 2 months. I'm talking about the loss of natural gas production and gasoline reserves compromised in storage and in the refineries in flooded Louisiana. Dowd knows her stuff about Louisiana and the Prez! I must leave now as the military are doing another sweep through this area looking for escaped cons. They actually are using Cobra Gunships for support and they're loaded and cocked.
      Blake Mooney

      Forum: Maureen Dowd's Columns
      "W. drove his budget-cutting Chevy to the levee, and it wasn't dry. Bye, bye, American lives. "I don't think anyone anticipated the breach of the levees," he told Diane Sawyer.

      "Shirt-sleeves rolled up, W. finally landed in Hell yesterday and chuckled about his wild boozing days in "the great city" of N'Awlins. He was clearly moved. "You know, I'm going to fly out of here in a minute," he said on the runway at the New Orleans International Airport, "but I want you to know that I'm not going to forget what I've seen." Out of the cameras' range, and avoided by W., was a convoy of thousands of sick and dying people, some sprawled on the floor or dumped on baggage carousels at a makeshift M*A*S*H unit inside the terminal.

      "Why does this self-styled "can do" president always lapse into such lame "who could have known?" excuses.

      "Who on earth could have known that Osama bin Laden wanted to attack us by flying planes into buildings? Any official who bothered to read the trellis of pre-9/11 intelligence briefs.

      "Who on earth could have known that an American invasion of Iraq would spawn a brutal insurgency, terrorist recruiting boom and possible civil war? Any official who bothered to read the C.I.A.'s prewar reports.

      "Who on earth could have known that New Orleans's sinking levees were at risk from a strong hurricane? Anybody who bothered to read the endless warnings over the years about the Big Easy's uneasy fishbowl.

      "In June 2004, Walter Maestri, emergency management chief for Jefferson Parish, fretted to The Times-Picayune in New Orleans: "It appears that the money has been moved in the president's budget to handle homeland security and the war in Iraq, and I suppose that's the price we pay. Nobody locally is happy that the levees can't be finished, and we are doing everything we can to make the case that this is a security issue for us."

      "Not only was the money depleted by the Bush folly in Iraq; 30 percent of the National Guard and about half its equipment are in Iraq.

      <end>

      Barry <barry@...> wrote:

      The latest comment I heard was that the N O is now just one open cesspit and
      the cleanup, if there ever is a cleanup, will takes years to accomplish.
      And as we speak there are other potential hurricanes gathering so what are
      the chances. Maybe not in my lifetime

      In Church this morning we prayed for everyone affected by hurricane Katrina,
      including a hymn which had a line "When I wanted neighbour, where were you?"
      The disaster has changed the lives of everyone in that region, irrespective
      of colour or creed.

      Take care. Barry UK

      > Sorry I can't help more but must leave in search of a good meal. No
      grocery stores open. Watch N.O. for first signs of epidemic. Water borne
      diseases abound normally in 3rd world countries! A "certain" immunity can
      be acquired there but not in N.O. This city will never be re-built! It's
      too low!!!!!!!!!!!!

      > Blake
      >
      > mooney_rb@...

      Affiliate program software Construction software program Medical software program Estate program real software Software development program Scheduling program software

      ---------------------------------

    • Carol Whitney
      Message 37 of 37 , Sep 4, 2005
        At 00:10 05-09-05 +0100, Greg Chapman wrote:
        >If you "View Source" on any page on the site you'll see that the
        >relevant
        >line about style sheets is:
        >
        ><LINK rel="stylesheet" href="prneastwalton.css" type="text/css"
        >media="print">
        >
        >You know that the site is at:
        >
        >http://www.eastwalton.fsworld.co.uk/
        >
        >so just point your browser at:
        >
        >http://www.eastwalton.fsworld.co.uk/prneastwalton.css
        >
        >and it should download into Internet Explorer, or whatever
        >application you have set to open CSS files.

        So I'm using Firefox; I avoid IE whenever possible. Using Opera
        sometimes too, but Firefox's Webdeveloper toolbar works better than
        Opera's does, so I use that most of the time.

        >Try the same technique on:
        >
        >http://www.seahawk17.plus.com/
        >
        >another of my sites which uses the same general technique.

        Thanks; I got that also. Need to study now! And figure out how to set
        things up so the visitor can choose. Well, I guess I also need to
        save your page source, so I'll do that too; it must have a place from
        which to choose.

        Firefox gave me a menu from the Webdeveloper toolbar from which to
        choose, but that wouldn't be how a person, say, using IE, would
        choose, nor one using a browser without Ff's webdeveloper toolbar. So
        I'll be back again.

        >I'll be away from my computer for a while after tomorrow, so there
        >may be a delay in responses from me.

        Well, I have too many delays (sometimes permanent) in replies - just
        because I get into severe overload, and can't do everything. I do try
        to reply to such helpful posts as yours <g>

        Thanks a million!

        Sun, 04 Sep 2005 16:44:24
        Carol Whitney
        http://www.coherentdog.org/
        *** I receive plain text only. To attach a file, notify me first. ***