Re: [NTO] post Katrina checkin (was Re: Long web pages [was: Working with Adobe PDF docs.])

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 3 11:35 PM
      Has anyone heard from Jody, or any other regulars known to be in the area
      since Katrina hit?

      Regards ... Alec
      --
      ; ( ) { } [ ] \ | 9 0 + = () {} []

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 5 11:12 AM
        >Has anyone heard from Jody, or any other regulars known to be in the area
        >since Katrina hit?

        Only Barry, who has posted he's well here on the list. Isn't Jody on
        vacation? He posted about that earlier. Who else is from that area?

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 5 1:41 PM
          Hi Lotta and All,

          >> Has anyone heard from Jody, or any other regulars known to be
          >> in the area since Katrina hit?
          >
          >Only Barry, who has posted he's well here on the list. Isn't Jody
          >on vacation? He posted about that earlier. Who else is from that
          >area?

          <Way off topic>
          I was up in Yankee land during it all on a three week vacation.
          Went to 4 Six Flags and did about 35 roller coasters, some of
          them 2-3 times. My 9 year old son kept this 55 year young man
          running ragged. Some of the software for the rides (Superman in
          particular at 3 Six Flags) was done by a programmer in
          Switzerland and Eric knows him. :) I gave the three Superman
          roller coasters a 9.5, 9.8, and a 10.0. My son gave them roughly
          the same rating. I gave Kingda Ka a 10+, but my son only gave it
          a 10.0, because it was too short. It is the tallest and fastest
          roller coaster in the world. 428' high and does 0-128MPH in just
          about 3 seconds. <g> The Utilities Library has a miles<-
          >kilometer converter for those of you on the metric system.
          128MPH = 205.99KPH; 428 feet = (cm in 12 inches)
          30.48*428=13045.44 Centimeters. <g> I don't know the formula from
          feet to meters or yards to meters. Uh, divide by 10? 13045.44/10
          = 1304.54 meters?? ;) And yes, I was in a lot of pain from my
          throat from the overdose of radiation they gave me 10 years ago.
          My spine is already fragmenting, throat swollen shut, etc. But!!!
          To spend the time with my nine year old is worth all the pain in
          the world! :-) Other 9.5 or better roller coasters were Medusa,
          The Mind Eraser, Nitro, Batman, Boomerang/Chiller, and others.

          Oh, Attitash had the longest Alpine sled in the world; about 1.25
          miles (almost 2 KM roughly) down a fiberglass track on a
          fiberglass sled. It is totally wicked! ;) Some people would wipe
          out and get super bad burns on them where their skin was sliding
          down the track. I only braked if absolutely necessary, just
          tucked down close to the sled, and became one with it. :) I had
          the sled partly off the track on some corners (YEAH-WHEWIE!!!)
          Some girl broke a rib on it that happened to be telling the
          attendant the day before when she bit it. I was amazed that they
          didn't even require helmets since if you do not slow down when
          they have the huge orange SLOW DOWN banners across the track you
          will fly off the track! It makes it all that much more excited,
          don't you think? :)

          As far as Katrina goes, just a few broken tree branches here. I'm
          halfway between Mobile, Alabama and Ft. Walton Beach, FL. About
          30 miles east of Pensacola. There were some power outages and
          phones down with intermittent cell phones, but they had that all
          up in less than 24 hours from what I can tell. :)
          </way off topic>

          See ya in the funnies!

          http://www.clean-funnies.com

          you missed a good joke! 8?D

          The NoteTabbers Assistant Page
          http://www.notetab.net

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 15 12:57 PM
            Hi Alec,

            >Has anyone heard from Jody, or any other regulars known to be in
            >the area since Katrina hit?

            I posted in a few different messages here and there on different
            lists including this one I think and just posted on the MB list.
            We were fine through Katrina -just some broken tree limbs that I
            almost feel ashamed mentioned due to New Orleans... We were on
            vacation the whole time, but would have definitely been ready for
            evacuation had it changed course at the last minute. That was an
            awesome hurricane with its wide spread of actual hurricane force
            winds.

            I know if we were here our car would have been packed, gassed up,
            and ready to hit the road within a few minutes. We have enough
            evacuation routes from here to get further inland pretty quick or
            "fly" east/west on the Interstate just a few miles from us and a
            state highway to do the same if going north is too congested. We
            are already out in the country so we would not have all the
            congestion getting out of a town/city that others do have.

            http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
          • Alec Burgess
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 15 4:01 PM
              I just saw a fascinating discussion on CNN comparing how fast local, state
              and federal goverments responded to the 1906 San Francisco earhtquake and
              resulting fires. Teddy Roseveldt was president at the time, but up and down
              the line the response times put current-day reactions to Katrina to shame
              --
              Regards ... Alec