Re: [NTO] Re: Long web pages [was: Working with Adobe PDF docs.]

  • r. blake mooney
    Message 1 of 37 , Sep 3, 2005
      Carol,

      I have a sec between alerts--N.O. and flood--but few publishers will even look at a MS loaded with color! They want b&w and expect you to know that. Most will only accept MSs with color from "published and selling authors!"

      For text publication, never send anything but appropriately formatted 8.5 X 11 inch white paper using black ink! A query letter to the publisher would be smart before even sending the best MS today. "Over-the-transom" MSs are last to be seen or read. Hope you know you publisher well.

      I sometimes send 5 or 6 queries to the editor-in-chief in an effort to precisely clarify what it is he/she e xpects from me. I try to add factoid-like statements from the orig. MS to show him/her what subject I'm covering and to enlighten them on what slant and tone I'm taking with the piece. Best to change these latter 2 elements as you select dif. mags. and book publishers as per their current style and what they're wanting in their medium.

      Sorry I can't help more but must leave in search of a good meal. No grocery stores open. Watch N.O. for first signs of epidemic. Water borne diseases abound normally in 3rd world countries! A "certain" immunity can be acquired there but not in N.O. This city will never be re-built! It's too low!!!!!!!!!!!!

      Blake

      mooney_rb@...

      Carol Whitney <cwhitney@...> wrote: I shouldn't even try to reply; falling asleep at the keyboard, but I
      came back to read quickly on my way to bed, and this, Greg, is
      greatly helpful!

      At 10:21 05-08-26 +0100, Greg Chapman wrote:

      >Unfortunately "nice indexing" is something that many providers leave
      >out.

    • Carol Whitney
      Message 37 of 37 , Sep 4, 2005
        At 00:10 05-09-05 +0100, Greg Chapman wrote:
        >If you "View Source" on any page on the site you'll see that the
        >relevant
        >line about style sheets is:
        >
        ><LINK rel="stylesheet" href="prneastwalton.css" type="text/css"
        >media="print">
        >
        >You know that the site is at:
        >
        >http://www.eastwalton.fsworld.co.uk/
        >
        >so just point your browser at:
        >
        >http://www.eastwalton.fsworld.co.uk/prneastwalton.css
        >
        >and it should download into Internet Explorer, or whatever
        >application you have set to open CSS files.

        So I'm using Firefox; I avoid IE whenever possible. Using Opera
        sometimes too, but Firefox's Webdeveloper toolbar works better than
        Opera's does, so I use that most of the time.

        >Try the same technique on:
        >
        >http://www.seahawk17.plus.com/
        >
        >another of my sites which uses the same general technique.

        Thanks; I got that also. Need to study now! And figure out how to set
        things up so the visitor can choose. Well, I guess I also need to
        save your page source, so I'll do that too; it must have a place from
        which to choose.

        Firefox gave me a menu from the Webdeveloper toolbar from which to
        choose, but that wouldn't be how a person, say, using IE, would
        choose, nor one using a browser without Ff's webdeveloper toolbar. So
        I'll be back again.

        >I'll be away from my computer for a while after tomorrow, so there
        >may be a delay in responses from me.

        Well, I have too many delays (sometimes permanent) in replies - just
        because I get into severe overload, and can't do everything. I do try
        to reply to such helpful posts as yours <g>

        Thanks a million!

        Sun, 04 Sep 2005 16:44:24
        Carol Whitney
        http://www.coherentdog.org/
        *** I receive plain text only. To attach a file, notify me first. ***