Re: [NTO] Slow context menu (was: DOS 6.22)

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 25 3:49 PM
      Mordechai:

      > My two computers are connected each other (not always
      > activated), when the connection is active and
      > I right-click on a file or folder in the "Windows
      > Explorer" (no matter which computer), it takes a"year"
      > until the pop-up sub-menu opens.
      > Is it normal or something wrong?

      This is just a guess, but perhaps you've have an Explorer Shell extension
      which for some reason attempts a network connection - presumably to provide
      some "useful" service.

      Try either or both of these free programs which will enumerate all shell
      extensions and allow you to enable/disable them without having to uninstall
      the program that initially created them.
      Autoruns- http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/autoruns.shtml
      - shell extensions will appear in the [Explorer] tab
      ShellExView v1.10 - Shell Extensions Manager
      http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

      Try turning off "likely" candidates and see if you can get rapid context
      menu appearance.

      I'm not sure whether disabling/enabling a shell extension works immediately
      or depends on explorer being restarted. If it does have to be restarted and
      depending on how long it takes you to reboot, you could save multiple
      reboots by using TaskManager to kill the explorer.exe task, then restarting
      it from the Run option under files.

      If you try this, please post back to say how it worked.

      Regards ... Alec
      --