hope this isn't too far off-topic

  • Blake Mooney
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 19, 2005
      Does anyone know of another software product--similar to "SpinRite"
      ver 6.0--that will hammer a crashed hard drive back into readable
      format?

      As you know SpinRite v6.0 claims to be "The World's Premier Magnetic
      Storage Data Recovery, Repair, and Maintenance Utility."

      However, it failed to pass the 16.43 percent point in cleaning or
      repairing my crashed hard drive. I tried it at different levels
      of "data recovery"---1 through 4---but nada---couldn't break through
      and, in fact, the SpinRite report/log said it would take something
      like 2 months constant "hammering" at the [highest] setting I had it
      on---#4. I switched to 1 percent then down to 0.50 percent but
      again it balked at 16.43 percent into the repair or recovery point.

      I wrote Gibson Research, authors of the software, and they were nice
      enough to tell me to send the hard drive off to any place
      like "ONTRACK."

      Note that on my other 2 drives it cleaned them up perfectly. But
      critical data is on the crashed [damaged] hard drive.

      If anyone knows of another product like SpinRite, I'd appreciate
      hearing about it. ONTRACK total expenses are high so one last shot
      at another software program is my last software effort. Ordinarily,
      I would pitch the hard drive, but can't in this case.

      Thanks in advance....

      Disclaimer: I have no financial interest in any product Gibson
      Research makes or sells. I am not affiliated with Gibson Research
      or SpinRite in any way other than a purchaser of their product,
      SpinRite.

      Blake Mooney
      mooney_rb@...
    • bbinder79
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 22, 2005
        --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Blake Mooney" <mooney_rb@y...>
        wrote:
        > Does anyone know of another software product--similar to "SpinRite"
        > ver 6.0--that will hammer a crashed hard drive back into readable
        > format?

        HDD Regenerator http://www.dposoft.net/ is what I have used with
        AWESOME results! I actually tried Spinrite over the weekend here and
        it took FOREVER to try to get back 1 sector of bad data.

        I said forget it after long long long hours of Spinrite running and
        booted up HDD Regenerator and it's running right now. I've got 80 GB
        to go through and my bad sector is right at the end of the drive so I
        won't see my results until I get home from work here...

        In the past I've used the software and it has yet to fail me. I've
        used it on at least 10 drives with 100% positive results on all
        drives, new and very old.

        I'm sure when I go home, all will be fine with my drive and the
        sector. The guy who makes the software surely knows his stuff with
        writing an algorithm to repair these bad sectors.

        I would at least give that software a shot and post back any questions
        or results. I believe that if you download the trial version, it will
        repair 1 bad sector for free to give you a taste of what it can do.

        Lemme know if I can be of further assistance with this or answer any
        other questions.
      • r. blake mooney
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 23, 2005
          Brian,
          Thanks for the tip on the Regenerator. I downloaded the trial ver. and ran it for one hour to get a feel for it. Then it dawned on me that I never saw any references to my system--WIN-XP-PRO, so I hit control-break and closed it down. All it says about compatability with various systems is that it runs on "ALL of them."

          The one problem I see with it is that the designer never included a clock or timer of some sort to while away the hours. Any idea how long a HD takes to hit the first bad cluster, or where the most likely spot of clusters begin to present with problems?

          One guy running SpinRite told me he set one computer aside and uses it for checking bad HD. Said he once spent 2 months rebuilding one using SpinRite. Now...that's a little daffy...don't you think?

          Thanks,
          Blake Mooney
          mooney_rb@...

          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 24, 2005
            --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "r. blake mooney"
            <mooney_rb@y...> wrote:
            > Brian,
            > Thanks for the tip on the Regenerator. I downloaded the trial
            ver. and ran it for one hour to get a feel for it. Then it dawned
            on me that I never saw any references to my system--WIN-XP-PRO, so I
            hit control-break and closed it down. All it says about
            compatability with various systems is that it runs on "ALL of them."

            Yep. I've never had issues, no matter what the type. It doesn't
            care about the format at all. So long as your BIOS sees the drive,
            it should run with no problems. I've ran it on Windows 95, 98, XP
            and 2003. All different file system types, and some with no file
            system types, so anything goes.

            > The one problem I see with it is that the designer never included
            a clock or timer of some sort to while away the hours. Any idea how
            long a HD takes to hit the first bad cluster, or where the most
            likely spot of clusters begin to present with problems?

            It varies from drive to drive. In my previous post, I said that I
            had SpinRite running forever and that I would try HDD Regenerator.
            Well, I did use it and when I came home, it repaired the bad
            sector. On my 80 GB drive, it was all the way at the end of the
            drive platter, so it had to run its full course. I always have it
            run a full shot anyway, so no biggie.

            I'd really recommend letting it run the full course instead of
            having it start somewhere in the middle or the end. I know you only
            have a trial, but you'd hate to have it get 80% of them but skip
            others because of the position or offset it was started at.

            When it starts, it should tell you what hard drives are present, so
            long as the BIOS sees them. You can simply pick what drive you want
            to scan. Normally you can just hit "1" and then Enter. This would
            be if you've only got the single drive in the system of course.
            When it starts scanning, you'll see a progress indicator bar that
            will start to fill. Plus it will tell you what sector it's on and
            how many Megabytes it has processed. You should notice your hard
            drive activity light constantly on when the program runs.

            The longest I've had to wait on a bad sector for it to be marked as
            repaired was about 10 minutes, and this was for a really bad spot on
            the drive. You could hear the program make that drive grind and
            grind. But when it finished, everything worked as if nothing was
            wrong.

            > One guy running SpinRite told me he set one computer aside and
            uses it for checking bad HD. Said he once spent 2 months rebuilding
            one using SpinRite. Now...that's a little daffy...don't you think?

            Yikes! Every time I use HDD Regen, I never have to go back and
            manually fix something or restore a backup because of file
            corruption. Not once, ever.

            I actually tried SpinRite for the first time when I made this post
            and was not impressed with it at all. I'd always recommend HDD
            Regen over it. My own problem with drives has always had me
            reaching for HDD Regen and when I finally did try SpinRite, it
            failed miserably. So I went back to HDD Regen, ran it and it
            restored everything that SpinRite could not. Fantastic program for
            me. Of course everyone's mileage may vary, but if someone asked me
            for a recommendation, I know what I'd be telling them. :)

            Shoot us over an update and tell me if it actually sees the hard
            drive when the BIOS loads. Then when HDD Regen starts, does it
            actually show you the drive as being found?

            Thanks!
          • Carol Whitney
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 24, 2005
              At 15:23 05-08-24 +0000, bbinder79 wrote:

              >--- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "r. blake mooney"
              ><mooney_rb@y...> wrote:
              > > Brian,
              > > Thanks for the tip on the Regenerator. I downloaded the trial
              >ver. and ran it for one hour to get a feel for it. Then it dawned
              >on me that I never saw any references to my system--WIN-XP-PRO, so I
              >hit control-break and closed it down. All it says about
              >compatability with various systems is that it runs on "ALL of them."
              >
              >Yep. I've never had issues, no matter what the type. It doesn't
              >care about the format at all. So long as your BIOS sees the drive,
              >it should run with no problems. I've ran it on Windows 95, 98, XP
              >and 2003. All different file system types, and some with no file
              >system types, so anything goes.

              Would it do old drives formatted under DOS? I have some I'd love to
              have the data back from. But I'd have to have my dealer do it; my two
              386's are gone - no working battery in them! I gather it's too
              expensive to repair those!

              Wed, 24 Aug 2005 10:52:17

              Carol Whitney
              http://www.coherentdog.org/
              *** I receive plain text only. To attach a file, notify me first. ***
            • Brian Binder
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 24, 2005
                On 8/24/05, Carol Whitney <cwhitney@...> wrote:
                > At 15:23 05-08-24 +0000, bbinder79 wrote:

                > Would it do old drives formatted under DOS? I have some I'd love to
                > have the data back from. But I'd have to have my dealer do it; my two
                > 386's are gone - no working battery in them! I gather it's too
                > expensive to repair those!

                Yes it will do those drives as well. It doesn't care at all about
                formatting. You don't even have to have a formatted drive to use the
                software.

                If it's an IDE drive (which worked fine in a 386), I'd simply plug it
                in as a secondary in a newer PC and have HDD Regen do a scan. You can
                scan the drive(s) from any PC so long as the BIOS and the program
                recognizes the drive(s).

                I've grabbed drives from a 386 before and put them in a brand new PC,
                set them up as Master/Slaves and scanned things just fine.
              • Alec Burgess
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 24, 2005
                  Brian:

                  I have an external 40 GB Maxtor drive connected to my laptop which shows up
                  in:
                  MyComputer-Manage-Device Manager-Disk drives as:
                  >>Maxtor 3000LE v01.00.00 USB Device<<

                  but doesn't show up anywhere under
                  MyComputer-Manage-Storage-Logical Drives.

                  It used to be drive E: until one day it just "disappeared".

                  I asked Maxtor tech support and as I'd suspected they confirmed its
                  basically toast.

                  I've downloaded HDD Regenerator but haven't built the boot-floppy yet (no
                  CD-RW on laptop).

                  Question: Is there any point trying it or is HDD Regenerator going to be
                  unable to see the Maxtor drive just like everything else? If there is, if I
                  create the boot-floppy will I be prompted to select the drive to check? I
                  don't want to accidentally touch my working C: harddrive.

                  Regards ... Alec
                  --
                  ; ( ) { } [ ] \ | 9 0 + = () {} []

                  > At 15:23 05-08-24 +0000, bbinder79 wrote:

                  > Would it do old drives formatted under DOS? I have some I'd love to
                  > have the data back from. But I'd have to have my dealer do it; my two
                  > 386's are gone - no working battery in them! I gather it's too
                  > expensive to repair those!

                  Yes it will do those drives as well. It doesn't care at all about
                  formatting. You don't even have to have a formatted drive to use the
                  software.

                  If it's an IDE drive (which worked fine in a 386), I'd simply plug it
                  in as a secondary in a newer PC and have HDD Regen do a scan. You can
                  scan the drive(s) from any PC so long as the BIOS and the program
                  recognizes the drive(s).

                  I've grabbed drives from a 386 before and put them in a brand new PC,
                  set them up as Master/Slaves and scanned things just fine.

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • Brian Binder
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 24, 2005
                    On 8/24/05, Alec Burgess <buralex@...> wrote:
                    > Brian:
                    >
                    > I have an external 40 GB Maxtor drive connected to my laptop which shows up
                    > in:
                    > MyComputer-Manage-Device Manager-Disk drives as:
                    > >>Maxtor 3000LE v01.00.00 USB Device<<
                    >
                    > but doesn't show up anywhere under
                    > MyComputer-Manage-Storage-Logical Drives.

                    Let's make sure we're checking out the same section. Check out my
                    screenshot here: http://www.bndservices.com/notetab/disks.jpg

                    Is that what you see, but minus your USB drive? Mine shows up in
                    there so that I can manage it. I manually changed the drive letter on
                    it so that I could access the data on it. I had to change mine to
                    something higher up in the alphabet, so I chose X since it's a backup
                    drive.

                    You should be able to see a USB device in there and right-click on it
                    and change the drive letter like it shows in the screenie.

                    > It used to be drive E: until one day it just "disappeared".
                    >
                    > I asked Maxtor tech support and as I'd suspected they confirmed its
                    > basically toast.
                    >
                    > I've downloaded HDD Regenerator but haven't built the boot-floppy yet (no
                    > CD-RW on laptop).

                    You shouldn't need a CD-RW. You just need a floppy disk to boot from.
                    You can put it on a CD-R in addition to a floppy, but I run it from a
                    floppy disk almost every time.

                    > Question: Is there any point trying it or is HDD Regenerator going to be
                    > unable to see the Maxtor drive just like everything else? If there is, if I
                    > create the boot-floppy will I be prompted to select the drive to check? I
                    > don't want to accidentally touch my working C: harddrive.

                    Even if you did look at your C drive, I've never had any adverse side
                    effects from the HDD Regen software at all, so you'd be safe running
                    it on any drive IMO. Call it preventative maintenance if nothing
                    else. Maybe you'd get lucky and find something you didn't know
                    existed. But yes, chances are it's altogether unnecessary to run it
                    on your main drive if you suspect it to be functioning correctly.

                    It is quite possible that your USB drive might still be just fine, but
                    we might have to make Windows remember how to access it again. Then
                    again...maybe not. I will tell you that the boot disk for HDD Regen
                    does not recognize USB devices, so you would be out of luck if you
                    kept it in the USB drive housing.

                    Personally if it were me (and the drive's warranty was not an issue)
                    I'd take it out of the USB housing and plug it into the PC directly
                    via the IDE or EIDE cable that's appropriate.

                    I had a similar problem with my USB drive. Checked out the Event Log
                    in XP and found there to be so many errors on the drive, but Windows
                    knew the drive existed. Did more than a few things to try and remedy
                    the situation but couldn't. In the end, I removed it from the
                    USB/Firewire housing and plugged it in directly to my machine and it's
                    worked perfect ever since.

                    Now, it's not the greatest, as the darn housing is useless, but at
                    least I've got my drive and it's working just fine. If I were you,
                    I'd try removing the drive and seeing if the disk itself is truly bad,
                    or if it's the controller on the housing that's faulty. More times
                    than not, my experience has taught me that the housings go bad far
                    more than the drives. I've known people that have gone through
                    countless housings. It's actually a reason on why I simply won't buy
                    another one. They haven't been worth the trouble.

                    I will comment that I have had nothing but good luck with other
                    drives, like the smaller hard drives that require power only from the
                    USB ports, like Seagate's black series of USB drives that range from
                    20?-100GB. Very nice drives. But IDE/EIDE drives in a USB/Firewire
                    housing? No thank you.

                    HDD Regen will not do anything until you ask it to, so you won't have
                    to worry about it starting when you haven't given it permission. Then
                    again, if your USB interface on the housing itself was the problem,
                    you might find yourself saving time and frustration by plugging it
                    into your PC directly and finding everything in a perfectly working
                    state. I'll keep my fingers crossed for some good fortune to come
                    your way on this one! ;)
                  • Vance E. Neff
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 25, 2005
                      Brian,

                      I have a similar problem, an USB drive connected to a laptop. Being a
                      laptop, there is no way to utilize a drive enclosure in order to attach
                      the drive directly to the computer's bus on the laptop. But, are you
                      indicating that if the drive can be seen at all by the operating system
                      via the USB port that HDD Regenerator will handle it?

                      Vance

                    • Brian Binder
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 25, 2005
                        On 8/25/05, Vance E. Neff <veneff@...> wrote:
                        > Brian,
                        >
                        > I have a similar problem, an USB drive connected to a laptop. Being a
                        > laptop, there is no way to utilize a drive enclosure in order to attach
                        > the drive directly to the computer's bus on the laptop. But, are you
                        > indicating that if the drive can be seen at all by the operating system
                        > via the USB port that HDD Regenerator will handle it?

                        No. Unless the latest version of HDD Regen supports USB drives (I
                        don't have the latest version) if won't be recognized, as the program
                        runs outside of Windows. So even if Windows sees it, it doesn't mean
                        that HDD Regen will.

                        But I am curious as to what exactly the problem is with the USB drive?
                        Is it that you cannot see it? HDD Regen is for repairing bad
                        sectors. If you cannot see it in Windows, you just might have to make
                        sure Windows is assigning it a proper drive letter so that it shows
                        up.

                        Shoot us some more information on it and we'll see what we can do with it.

                        Thanks!
                      • r. blake mooney
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 25, 2005
                          Brian,
                          From my experience, which is very limited, I never could get my BIOS or any other programs to"look and find" my crashed HD. That's whne I bought the orig. SpinRite, which hung at 16.43 percent into the repair or whatever they called it.

                          When I used the Regenerator it also "recognized" the crashed HD. I started the run on the bad drive but cut it off at one hour due to other constraints. As I mentioned in an earlier email, I did wish that the Regen had had a time bar or clock to kind of co-mmunicate with me--a back and forth thing. But tonight I will re-run the whole "trial" version of the Regen program, but would like to mention that all of these "recovery" programs require a boot from the "A" drive. If anyone can actually "see" their "C drive" and anything on it, it seems, therefore, to me, that they need to run scandisk and defrag. If this results in a failed attempt, meaning that if the Windows (version unknow) refuses to go further with the scandisk or defrag programs, then they must run the Regen program. It's merely this gray area that I've been noticing in the back-and-forth between members about "crashed" drives--I get the feeling that some can actually acquire their questionable "crashed" HD and data
                          on it. If this is wrong, then they obviously can't do anything but fall back to Regen or try SpinRite as we did. And...yes...I still use SpinRite on my other HD's. Takes about 2 - 3 hours.
                          Blake

                          Brian Binder <brian.binder@...> wrote:
                          On 8/25/05, Vance E. Neff <veneff@...> wrote:
                          > Brian,
                          >
                          > I have a similar problem, an USB drive connected to a laptop. Being a
                          > laptop, there is no way to utilize a drive enclosure in order to attach
                          > the drive directly to the computer's bus on the laptop. But, are you
                          > indicating that if the drive can be seen at all by the operating system
                          > via the USB port that HDD Regenerator will handle it?

                          No. Unless the latest version of HDD Regen supports USB drives (I
                          don't have the latest version) if won't be recognized, as the program
                          runs outside of Windows. So even if Windows sees it, it doesn't mean
                          that HDD Regen will.

                          But I am curious as to what exactly the problem is with the USB drive?
                          Is it that you cannot see it? HDD Regen is for repairing bad
                          sectors. If you cannot see it in Windows, you just might have to make
                          sure Windows is assigning it a proper drive letter so that it shows
                          up.

                          Shoot us some more information on it and we'll see what we can do with it.

                          Thanks!

                          Affiliate program software Medical software program Anti virus software program Software virus program Program Announcement list

                        • Brian Binder
                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 25, 2005
                            On 8/25/05, r. blake mooney <mooney_rb@...> wrote:
                            > Brian,
                            > From my experience, which is very limited, I never could get my BIOS or any
                            > other programs to"look and find" my crashed HD. That's whne I bought the
                            > orig. SpinRite, which hung at 16.43 percent into the repair or whatever they
                            > called it.

                            Seems kind of odd. I mean, if the BIOS doesn't recognize a drive,
                            then neither will anything else. So somehow your BIOS has to be
                            seeing it.

                            > When I used the Regenerator it also "recognized" the crashed HD. I started
                            > the run on the bad drive but cut it off at one hour due to other
                            > constraints. As I mentioned in an earlier email, I did wish that the Regen
                            > had had a time bar or clock to kind of co-mmunicate with me--a back and
                            > forth thing.

                            It has a progress bar on all the versions I've used. It would tell
                            you how far it has scanned so you can change the offset if you have to
                            interrupt it. Then you could start where you last left it.

                            But tonight I will re-run the whole "trial" version of the
                            > Regen program, but would like to mention that all of these "recovery"
                            > programs require a boot from the "A" drive.

                            They don't "require" a boot from an "A" drive. It's just the most
                            commonly used method. Use a CD burning app and have it make a
                            bootable CDROM based on the floppy disk in the drive. Then you can
                            use the CD to run the program. I do this with many bootable
                            utilities. SpinRite 6 also allows you to boot from CD-R or even a USB
                            drive, which is what I've used.

                            If anyone can actually "see"
                            > their "C drive" and anything on it, it seems, therefore, to me, that they
                            > need to run scandisk and defrag. If this results in a failed attempt,
                            > meaning that if the Windows (version unknow) refuses to go further with the
                            > scandisk or defrag programs, then they must run the Regen program.

                            Well, Windows isn't too sophisticated when it comes to moving your
                            data from bad sections of the drive. That's why 3rd part programs
                            exist. While Windows may do it, there's no guarantee that your data
                            will be there when it's finished. HDD and SpinRite do this in a
                            fashion that allows you to have a high recovery rate and higher
                            probability of getting your data transferred to a safe spot instead of
                            a not-so-safe spot. Plus I've had many-a-time when Windows wouldn't
                            scan the drive correctly at all, prompting me to use HDD Regen with
                            great results.

                            I wouldn't recommend defragging anything outside of Windows or inside
                            of Windows if you believe your data to be at risk. Too many people
                            think that all bad sectors are from "physical" defects which isn't
                            entirely true.

                            But defragging doesn't care about the health of the data, only the
                            location. So it could have various problems reading clusters of data
                            and actually damage the data instead of optimizing it. The moving of
                            the data (if not read 100% correctly) will cause you to have possible
                            corruption of data.

                            It's
                            > merely this gray area that I've been noticing in the back-and-forth between
                            > members about "crashed" drives--I get the feeling that some can actually
                            > acquire their questionable "crashed" HD and data
                            > on it. If this is wrong, then they obviously can't do anything but fall
                            > back to Regen or try SpinRite as we did. And...yes...I still use SpinRite
                            > on my other HD's. Takes about 2 - 3 hours.
                            > Blake

                            If they can obtain their data by other means rather than using a
                            pay-for app, that's great. But if chkdsk or scandisk, etc. doesn't
                            take care of it for you and you've got a bad sector...your options are
                            limited.

                            You can back up your entire system and re-format and re-partition,
                            marking any sectors as bad with a utility of your choosing.

                            Or you can get a program designed to work with the drive exactly the
                            way it is, and perform its "treatment" without having to start from
                            scratch and/or restore from a backup.

                            I mean, in the end, whatever works - great. But I've just had so much
                            luck with HDD Regen getting my drives healthy again I've made it my
                            best recommendation. Sometimes it's unnecessary, but if you think
                            you've got some bad sectors and want to try to get that drive booting
                            again, I'd be looking at HDD Regen.
                          • Carol Whitney
                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 25, 2005
                              When
                              >On 8/24/05, Carol Whitney (that's me) <cwhitney@...> wrote:

                              > > Would it do old drives formatted under DOS?

                              At 15:26 05-08-24 -0500, Brian Binder replied:

                              >Yes it will do those drives as well. It doesn't care at all about
                              >formatting. You don't even have to have a formatted drive to use the
                              >software.

                              Oh! How handy!

                              >If it's an IDE drive (which worked fine in a 386), I'd simply plug it
                              >in as a secondary in a newer PC and have HDD Regen do a scan. You
                              >can scan the drive(s) from any PC so long as the BIOS and the
                              >program recognizes the drive(s).

                              Maybe it's that last that could be a problem; I don't know. I could
                              inquire of my dealer. I'm anything but a technician, though I did
                              low-level-format a few drives of mine way back when (for me, way back
                              when began around 1985/1986, but I didn't get that techie for a
                              couple of years, I think).

                              >I've grabbed drives from a 386 before and put them in a brand new PC,
                              >set them up as Master/Slaves and scanned things just fine.

                              THAT would be useful! I'm not sure I have room for a third hard drive
                              in my current PC, but maybe somebody else around here would have, or
                              maybe I could remove my second hard drive long enough to try the old
                              386 DOS 6.22-formatted one in mine. I doubt, though, I'm ready to try
                              such a thing, as the older I get, the more foggy my techie-mind gets
                              <g>.

                              (On the other hand, the conversations on the NoteTab forums might
                              sharpen me up just a bit <g>) Thanks a lot, Brian! I'm saving your
                              post. (Silly; I save them all <g>)

                              Thu, 25 Aug 2005 11:37:19
                              Madame PackRat
                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 25, 2005
                                What I'm saying is that most tech people I've queried suggest using a floppy rather than a CD disk as the space required on either medium (to boot the program with a floppy or disk) is small. Several other progams or files can be added to a floppy and all zipped, the thing dropped into your pocket and off you go with even your "great American novel" added.

                                The other thing is that many times the BIOS does get messed up, and after talking with SpinRite people a month back that's one of their main points: using the floppy (with all necessary start-up programs sufficient to run their product) to take over the computer and run their SpinRite. As to what lite-BIOS or quasi-BIOS they use I haven't a clue. Hacker's have no problem hitting people with malware or other bad stuff no matter how you defend against it; all predicted in Edgar Allen Poe's caveat: "Any secret code one man can write can be broken by another."

                                Due to health reasons I don't have a lot of time for hand-holding my computer. My "5-year-learning-curve" days are long over. The nature of any good program that I use is that it must work consistently, reliably and simply. I'll add that it therefore must be inexpensive. The first 3 here were once the beauty of the MAC: it met the criteria of consistency, reliability, and simplicity. So did German rockets and early jet planes. These same 3 reasons for existing prompted IBM to use the MAC to design their first desktop computer! But IBM never got the real message that is always tied to ET: the Electronic Truth states that only consistency, reliability, and simplicity will win the day. Everyone in Bangalore, India knows this, but only a few corporations here understand it. Gates says the "code is getting sloppy--it's too long--the programs are slowing down." So he brings in more brilliant engineers from the four corners of the earth. This fact is not being lost on Europeans
                                but esp. the billions of folks in the Far East. Worse, just think of this irony--maybe that town 28 miles East of Bagdhad, where they invented algebra and wrote "A Tale of Gilgamesh" 5300 years ago, maybe those people will agree to sign a "peace treaty with themselves" if the US agrees to set them up with a few Crays and 10000 PCs to write all the software for a new American-based commercial firm that competes with Microsoft. Crazier things have happened. One was me spending $5200 on 9 ZEROX publishing programs for a small press company I owned! Those original Ventura Pub products did then (and still do today) beat the heck out of any publishing programs I know on the market today. But ZEROX dropped them all and fired the brilliant engineers who built them in their spare time after working hours! Far-sightedness has never been the hallmark of American industry. MAC ended up copying these discarded pub programs and their sales took off.
                                Blake

                                Brian Binder <brian.binder@...> wrote:
                                On 8/25/05, r. blake mooney <mooney_rb@...> wrote:
                                > Brian,
                                > From my experience, which is very limited, I never could get my BIOS or any
                                > other programs to"look and find" my crashed HD. That's whne I bought the
                                > orig. SpinRite, which hung at 16.43 percent into the repair or whatever they
                                > called it.

                                Seems kind of odd. I mean, if the BIOS doesn't recognize a drive,
                                then neither will anything else. So somehow your BIOS has to be
                                seeing it.

                                > When I used the Regenerator it also "recognized" the crashed HD. I started
                                > the run on the bad drive but cut it off at one hour due to other
                                > constraints. As I mentioned in an earlier email, I did wish that the Regen
                                > had had a time bar or clock to kind of co-mmunicate with me--a back and
                                > forth thing.

                                It has a progress bar on all the versions I've used. It would tell
                                you how far it has scanned so you can change the offset if you have to
                                interrupt it. Then you could start where you last left it.

                                > But tonight I will re-run the whole "trial" version of the
                                > Regen program, but would like to mention that all of these > "recovery" programs require a boot from the "A" drive.

                                They don't "require" a boot from an "A" drive. It's just the most commonly used method. Use a CD burning app and have it make a bootable CDROM based on the floppy disk in the drive. Then you can use the CD to run the program. I do this with many bootable utilities. SpinRite 6 also allows you to boot from CD-R or even a USB drive, which is what I've used.

                              • David Smart
                                Message 15 of 17 , Aug 25, 2005
                                  I think there's confusion here between drives and partitions. BIOS might see your drive, but not the partitions on it, and especially not the formats in those partitions. Programs like fdisk, SpinRite, etc, are looking at the low-level recognition of the drive; programs like DOS, Windows, etc, are looking for the formatted partitions.

                                  Dave S

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Aug 25, 2005
                                    Brian:

                                    > Let's make sure we're checking out the same section. Check out my
                                    > screenshot here: http://www.bndservices.com/notetab/disks.jpg
                                    >
                                    > Is that what you see, but minus your USB drive?

                                    Exactly: All I see in that section is my C: harddrive.

                                    > I will tell you that the boot disk for HDD Regen does not
                                    > recognize USB devices, so you would be out of luck if you kept it
                                    > in the USB drive housing.

                                    That's a pity :-(

                                    > Personally if it were me (and the drive's warranty was not an
                                    > issue)

                                    It's not

                                    > I'd take it out of the USB housing and plug it into the PC
                                    > directly via the IDE or EIDE cable that's appropriate.

                                    You lost me here ... I don't have a desktop system, just two
                                    laptops. Is the above procedure possible with a laptop? I'm not
                                    too bad with understanding software, but pretty lame when we get
                                    to hardware.

                                    > More times than not, my experience has taught me that the
                                    > housings go bad far more than the drives. I've known people that
                                    > have gone through countless housings.

                                    That sounds like an avenue worth pursuing. Rather than just pitch
                                    the drive and lose the data on it (not backed up unfortunately -
                                    mostly I used the Maxtor to backup info from my C: drive and to
                                    store music, videos and other large files) you're saying that I
                                    might be able to get a computer repair shop to take the drive out
                                    and put it in another housing, cross my fingers and maybe get
                                    lucky?

                                    > I'll keep my fingers crossed for some good fortune to come your
                                    > way on this one! ;)

                                    Regards ... Alec
                                    --
                                    ; ( ) { } [ ] \ | 9 0 + = () {} []

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Aug 26, 2005
                                      Alec Burgess wrote:

                                      > Exactly: All I see in that section is my C: harddrive.

                                      Yikes...that's not too good. Let's see if the USB is communicating with
                                      your laptop at all. Download this from my server:
                                      http://www.bndservices.com/notetab/usbview.zip Run the EXE file
                                      contained therein and tell me if the program detects the USB drive by
                                      expanding all the USB entries...see the drive at all? Have you ever
                                      tried the drive on a different laptop/PC?

                                      > You lost me here ... I don't have a desktop system, just two
                                      > laptops. Is the above procedure possible with a laptop? I'm not
                                      > too bad with understanding software, but pretty lame when we get
                                      > to hardware.

                                      Sorry - didn't know we were talking about a laptop. It's a bit
                                      different then. I have both so I can freely take a drive out of its
                                      housing and try the actual drive itself without using the housing.

                                      > That sounds like an avenue worth pursuing. Rather than just pitch
                                      > the drive and lose the data on it (not backed up unfortunately -
                                      > mostly I used the Maxtor to backup info from my C: drive and to
                                      > store music, videos and other large files) you're saying that I
                                      > might be able to get a computer repair shop to take the drive out
                                      > and put it in another housing, cross my fingers and maybe get
                                      > lucky?

                                      Yep. I've grabbed people's drives and removed them from the housing.
                                      You'll know if it's possible by hooking the IDE-based drive up directly
                                      to a PC. If the PC can see it and copy information to it, (if it's got
                                      a known good partition of course)