Re: [NTO] Deleting a file with an odd name

  • Phillip Sand Hansel II
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 18, 2005
      Yes, I remember it well. The problem was not a file, but a folder name, so
      the old rename with a wildcard wouldn't do it. :-(
      Your example shows a file with a seemingly good EXT, but a folder name is
      just a word.

      Probably had a <crlf> at the end of the name, at least that's what notetab
      should have been generating for a new line (that's what we had, a blank line
      or more at the end of a list we were turning into folders).

      Mr. hsavage did spot and fix the error in the code (or was that
      Don?...somewonderful person suggested a fix), and I have not had that
      problem since.

      The microsoft link did allow me to figure it out. Windows couldn't delete it
      because it really would not allow it.

      It was like del \\?\c:\path_to_file_that contains a trailing space.txt

      but I could swear there was a /s parameter somewhere. It was definitely a
      DOS operation and I had to read some helps to dust off the old cobwebs on
      specific options for some operations. At least you can "mark" & paste in
      that black window now.
      :-/

      Mr. Phillip Sand Hansel II
      http://philliphansel.com

      Chris Laarman wrote:
      > John (junja@...), Sunday, August 14, 2005 8:22 AM
      >
      >> Those spaces were in fact binary zeroes not space
      >> characters (code 00 not 020h or 32d) - which makes
      >> the filename completely illegal and unuseable.
      >>
      >> Norton's equivalent of scandisk dealt with it by
      >> replacing the zeroes with $s,
      >
      > If you are familiar with wildcards at the command prompt, you can
      stick to
      > the normal means.

      Chris,

      "Normal means" is exactly the first step I and the other respondent, Mr.
      Phillip Sand Hansel II, tried when we discovered the
      'foldername/filename' couldn't be deleted by the file manager!

      "Normal means" crapped out, so we had to look elsewhere.

      > If you have a file INVALIDFILENAME.EXT
      > you could make it accessible by opening that directory in a command
      prompt
      > window ("DOS box"), and perform
      > REN I*.EXT 0.*
      > (or whatever temporary filename you prefer for the target, as long as it
      > does not interfere with other files in that directory), and the file will
      > now be named 0.EXT.
      > Then you can perform
      > DEL 0.EXT
      > in the command prompt window, then close it by performing EXIT.
      > But you could perform the Delete step in the Explorer now.
      >
      > I'm sorry that my first contribution here must be off-topic.

      I have XP Pro in my case , I'm not sure which OS Phillip has, none of
      the normal means, scandisk - defrag - power cycle, in Windows or in a
      DOS box worked. I didn't have access to other 3rd party utilities,
      can't speak for Phillip.

      The relatively simple answer at the following link did the trick, you
      might want to record it for future use.

      http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320081

      This thread has nothing to do with clips so let's take it to the
      OffTopic list. Subscribe if you aren't already a member;

      ntb-offtopic-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      ºvº
      05.08.14
      hrs > hsavage@...