Re: [NTO] Working with Adobe PDF docs.

  • John Zeman
    Message 1 of 37 , Aug 18, 2005
      --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Don - htmlfixit.com" <don@h...> wrote:
      > Jeffery Scism wrote:
      > > Really Off-topic, BUT
      > >
      > > I have a PDF based database someone sent me that consists of page images
      > > coded into a PDF file.
      > >
      > > I want to extract those images as .jpg, Gif, or evn something that can
      > > be OCR'ed.
      > >
      > > Is there a way to get the images OUT of a PDF document in a batch?
      > >
      > > (without having to buy the Adobe suite?)
      > >
      > > I hate adobe PDF docs. But everyone seems to be using them lately.
      > >

      > I screen shot them. My image software allows me to set a desired cut
      > size and then make multiple captures. It can get dicey if the page size
      > is larger than a screen full. I personally know of no better way, but I
      > don't do enough to make it worth figuring out a more refined way of
      > doing it.

      I have the full Acrobat program but I still extract the images the way Don suggests. I've found that when I extract images from within a pdf document using the Acrobat program, the images are not the original size (they're usually smaller) plus sometimes they come out sliced and diced into sections.

      John
    • Carol Whitney
      Message 37 of 37 , Sep 4 4:44 PM
        At 00:10 05-09-05 +0100, Greg Chapman wrote:
        >If you "View Source" on any page on the site you'll see that the
        >relevant
        >line about style sheets is:
        >
        ><LINK rel="stylesheet" href="prneastwalton.css" type="text/css"
        >media="print">
        >
        >You know that the site is at:
        >
        >http://www.eastwalton.fsworld.co.uk/
        >
        >so just point your browser at:
        >
        >http://www.eastwalton.fsworld.co.uk/prneastwalton.css
        >
        >and it should download into Internet Explorer, or whatever
        >application you have set to open CSS files.

        So I'm using Firefox; I avoid IE whenever possible. Using Opera
        sometimes too, but Firefox's Webdeveloper toolbar works better than
        Opera's does, so I use that most of the time.

        >Try the same technique on:
        >
        >http://www.seahawk17.plus.com/
        >
        >another of my sites which uses the same general technique.

        Thanks; I got that also. Need to study now! And figure out how to set
        things up so the visitor can choose. Well, I guess I also need to
        save your page source, so I'll do that too; it must have a place from
        which to choose.

        Firefox gave me a menu from the Webdeveloper toolbar from which to
        choose, but that wouldn't be how a person, say, using IE, would
        choose, nor one using a browser without Ff's webdeveloper toolbar. So
        I'll be back again.

        >I'll be away from my computer for a while after tomorrow, so there
        >may be a delay in responses from me.

        Well, I have too many delays (sometimes permanent) in replies - just
        because I get into severe overload, and can't do everything. I do try
        to reply to such helpful posts as yours <g>

        Thanks a million!

        Sun, 04 Sep 2005 16:44:24
        Carol Whitney
        http://www.coherentdog.org/
        *** I receive plain text only. To attach a file, notify me first. ***