[NTO] Re: IPTC Data - Photo Cataloguing (WAS: RE: [NTB] publishing pictures that

  • John Zeman
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 18, 2005
      I hadn't checked this forum for a little while, I'm glad I did today. I really do not have anything to add to this topic as I no longer have much use for JPGs (other than as desktop wallpaper or for use in my web sites) except to suggest yet another possible alternative program for managing EXIF/IPTC data in images. A free program called Exifer that's available here:

      http://www.friedemann-schmidt.com/software/exifer/

      To be honest I have barely used Exifer because right after I found this utility I switched to taking all my photos in raw mode and Exifer does not support raw images.

      For anyone reading this who also takes photos in raw mode, if you haven't checked out the following free program for managing raw images, you might take a peek at it:

      http://www.pixmantec.com/index2.html

      The current version of RawShooter is free however a premium version is close to being released. I love the free version so much that I plan to pay for the premium version no matter what it costs.

      John
    • Don - htmlfixit.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 18, 2005
        John Zeman wrote:
        > I hadn't checked this forum for a little while, I'm glad I did today. I really do not have anything to add to this topic as I no longer have much use for JPGs (other than as desktop wallpaper or for use in my web sites) except to suggest yet another possible alternative program for managing EXIF/IPTC data in images. A free program called Exifer that's available here:
        >
        > http://www.friedemann-schmidt.com/software/exifer/
        >
        > To be honest I have barely used Exifer because right after I found this utility I switched to taking all my photos in raw mode and Exifer does not support raw images.
        >
        > For anyone reading this who also takes photos in raw mode, if you haven't checked out the following free program for managing raw images, you might take a peek at it:
        >
        > http://www.pixmantec.com/index2.html
        >
        > The current version of RawShooter is free however a premium version is close to being released. I love the free version so much that I plan to pay for the premium version no matter what it costs.
        >
        > John

        I may not get it. What do you really want to do?
        Make an index of each folder showing what is in it, including this IPTC
        info? If a program like irfanview can show it via a plug in, you can
        probably retrieve it into notetab, do with it what you will and move on
        to the next image.
        Or do you want to make an index page that shows each image and actually
        lists the info below it?

        What is the goal?
      • John Zeman
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 18, 2005
          --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Don - htmlfixit.com" <don@h...> wrote:
          > John Zeman wrote:
          > > I hadn't checked this forum for a little while, I'm glad I did today. I really do not have anything to add to this topic as I no longer have much use for JPGs (other than as desktop wallpaper or for use in my web sites) except to suggest yet another possible alternative program for managing EXIF/IPTC data in images. A free program called Exifer that's available here:
          > >
          > > http://www.friedemann-schmidt.com/software/exifer/
          > >
          > > To be honest I have barely used Exifer because right after I found this utility I switched to taking all my photos in raw mode and Exifer does not support raw images.
          > >
          > > For anyone reading this who also takes photos in raw mode, if you haven't checked out the following free program for managing raw images, you might take a peek at it:
          > >
          > > http://www.pixmantec.com/index2.html
          > >
          > > The current version of RawShooter is free however a premium version is close to being released. I love the free version so much that I plan to pay for the premium version no matter what it costs.
          > >
          > > John
          > >
          > I may not get it. What do you really want to do?
          > Make an index of each folder showing what is in it, including this IPTC
          > info? If a program like irfanview can show it via a plug in, you can
          > probably retrieve it into notetab, do with it what you will and move on
          > to the next image.
          > Or do you want to make an index page that shows each image and actually
          > lists the info below it?
          >
          > What is the goal?

          Sorry for the confusion Don. I meant to convey that I'm very satisfied with my current method of cataloging, viewing, editing, and printing images. The only thing that needs improvement is the current RawShooter program only has basic EXIF support at the moment, but better EXIF support for it is coming soon.

          As far as storing general comments about each image (not IPTC), I use the Windows descript.ion file feature where a small text file in each directory holds comment information about any or every file in that directory. I can open and edit that descript.ion file in NoteTab or in any of many other different ways. My file manager (Directory Opus) shows those comments in a column right next to the file name making it easy to find any photo by description.

          RawShooter shows the raw images in thumbnail mode, intermediate mode, or full size, and it's exceptionally fast compared to IrfanView or any other raw converter I've seen. And that's just the start of what all it will do.

          All in all I've never been happier with my digital imaging in general, from the camera to the screen to the printer.

          John
        • Greg Chapman
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 19, 2005
            Hi Don,

            > What is the goal?

            I have a growing collection of photographs that I store on a range of CDs.
            Each CD is reserved for a general topic. For example, I have one "My
            Village", "Boating" "Other SeaHawks" "My SeaHawk", "Friends" and "Family"

            Inevitably, for example, my wife could turn up in the foreground or
            background on masses of pictures on almost any of these CDs and one day I
            might want to locate one of these, perhaps to settle an argument about
            exactly when her hair turned grey! :-)

            So I want to start listing some keywords to attach to every photograph I
            take, not just recording the main subject, but anything of note in the
            background or circumstances of its being taken.

            Then I want a tool that can query this data and produce a set of thumbnails
            of this images that match my search criteria.

            Greg
          • Greg Chapman
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 19, 2005
              Hi Jon,

              > As far as storing general comments about each image (not IPTC), I
              > use the Windows descript.ion file feature where a small text file
              > in each directory holds comment information about any or every
              > file in that directory. I can open and edit that descript.ion
              > file in NoteTab or in any of many other different ways.

              I wasn't aware that this was a "Windows feature". I had only come across
              its use in connection with Eric's "Easy Imager". Am I missing something?
              Having said that I hate the approach which scatters description information
              in every directory. It means you can't move files about without using the
              program that keeps these files updated when you move files about.

              Greg
            • Greg Chapman
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 19, 2005
                Hi John,

                > to suggest yet another
                > possible alternative program for managing EXIF/IPTC data in
                > images. A free program called Exifer that's available here:
                >
                > http://www.friedemann-schmidt.com/software/exifer/

                Took a look at this page. It certainly looks as if Exifer is good at
                extracting and restoring EXIF/IPTC data and editing the existing data.
                However, it doesn't appear to offer the key part I'm interested in...
                searching for files held on a disk which match that data.

                It also seems to be a program that may have lost some of its raison d'etre.
                Most modern image editing software does now seem to be aware of EXIF/IPTC
                data. Perhaps this is why there's been no update since 2002?

                Greg
              • Hugo Paulissen
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 19, 2005
                  > extracting and restoring EXIF/IPTC data and editing the existing data.
                  > However, it doesn't appear to offer the key part I'm interested in...
                  > searching for files held on a disk which match that data.
                  >
                  > It also seems to be a program that may have lost some of its raison
                  d'etre.
                  > Most modern image editing software does now seem to be aware of
                  EXIF/IPTC
                  > data. Perhaps this is why there's been no update since 2002?

                  Well Greg,

                  I did try to find a program that matches your (and my) needs yesterday.
                  It seems as if PixVue comes close. It can create thumbnails locally (I
                  assume these include the metadata), so that you can search your local
                  collection. This requires that you first load all your CD's to PixVue
                  (I did a very quick scan of the app yesterday, you have to open it with
                  the context menu of pictures/folders, it is not regular exe).

                  Searching is done with the standard Windows file search (look for
                  *.jpg's containing the word "Julie" is possible). This implies that
                  other search tools can do the same job, I think...

                  http://www.pixvue.com

                  Hugo
                • hsavage
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 19, 2005
                    Greg Chapman wrote:
                    > Hi Jon,
                    >
                    >> As far as storing general comments about each image (not IPTC), I
                    >> use the Windows descript.ion file feature where a small text file
                    >
                    > I wasn't aware that this was a "Windows feature". I had only come across
                    > its use in connection with Eric's "Easy Imager". Am I missing something?
                    >
                    > Greg

                    Jon, Greg,

                    I can't argue either way about the descript.ion file being a Windows
                    'feature', but, Xnview produces one also when files are edited and I
                    haven't found a way to turn it off yet.

                    ºvº
                    05.08.19
                    hrs > hsavage@...
                  • Greg Chapman
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 19, 2005
                      Hi Hugo,

                      > I did try to find a program that matches your (and my) needs yesterday.
                      > It seems as if PixVue comes close.
                      >
                      > http://www.pixvue.com

                      It's certainly worth a look - and in spite of my reservations about
                      databases, required if you are going to keep records of files on removable
                      media, this one looks as if it does what it can to minimise the bloat.

                      It's three times bigger than Image Query, but offers a lot more. I'm not
                      sure that I need all those extra facilities, but I liked a lot of what the
                      author said on his "About" page so I've decided to download it and
                      investigate further.

                      Thanks for the pointer.

                      Greg Chapman
                      http://www.eastwalton.fsworld.co.uk
                      Images and Memories from a West Norfolk Village - a slowly growing site!
                    • John Zeman
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 19, 2005
                        --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Chapman" <greg@e...> wrote:

                        > I wasn't aware that this was a "Windows feature". I had only come
                        across
                        > its use in connection with Eric's "Easy Imager". Am I missing
                        something?
                        > Having said that I hate the approach which scatters description
                        information
                        > in every directory. It means you can't move files about without
                        using the
                        > program that keeps these files updated when you move files about.
                        >
                        > Greg

                        Greg you have a valid point about moving files and their
                        descriptions, without a program to manage those descriptions it
                        wouldn't be much use to me either. I use two programs (along with
                        NoteTab for manual editing) to manage my file descriptions. The 4NT
                        command shell which sets all the initial file descriptions of my
                        images to the date the photo was taken when it moves them from a
                        photo card to my computer. And Directory Opus, my primary GUI file
                        manager which automatically keeps the images (or any files)
                        synchronized with their descriptions no matter where I move them to.
                        Without those two programs, especially DOpus, the descript.ion
                        feature would have little value to me.

                        What I like about using descript.ion files for descriptions is the
                        fact that they're simple text files, not binary. The principle they
                        use is very simple, and below is a small sample of what their
                        contents can look like:

                        P8051495.jpg (2005-08-05) Falls Park in Sioux Falls
                        P5290982.jpg (2005-05-29) Scenic View near Newcastle

                        The first thing on each line in the file is the name of the file the
                        description is for, and that's followed by the actual description. I
                        can sort, edit add or delete descriptions with NoteTab if I want, and
                        sometimes I do, but mostly I use 4NT or Directory Opus for those jobs.

                        Also, I guess I shouldn't have said descript.ion is a Windows feature
                        for it really has nothing to do with Microsoft. It's just a standard
                        many software companies use to set/manage descriptions for files and
                        folders.

                        I'm not trying to talk anyone into using descript.ion descriptions,
                        only mentioning that they work very well for me.

                        John
                      • John Zeman
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 19, 2005
                          --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, hsavage <hsavage@p...> wrote:

                          > I can't argue either way about the descript.ion file being a Windows
                          > 'feature', but, Xnview produces one also when files are edited and I
                          > haven't found a way to turn it off yet.
                          >
                          > ºvº
                          > 05.08.19
                          > hrs > hsavage@p...

                          hrs as mentioned in my last post to Greg I wasn't accurate yesterday when I referred to descript.ion files as being a Windows feature. They're not actually related to Windows so I apologize for the inaccuracy there.

                          I do not use Xnview so I can't say what it's doing with descriptions but you can delete all the descriptions by simply deleting the descript.ion file in the folder containing the images (or whatever files you are dealing with). If you do not see it then the decript.ion file may have its hidden attribute set.

                          John