Re: [NTO] DDR Memory pc1600 vs pc2100 and Processor Warranty

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 13, 2005
      Hi Jason W., Harvey (aka hrs), & Others,

      Harvey wrote:

      > My computer shop guy says there's no significant difference, in
      > terms of time were only speaking of nanoseconds. The pc1600
      > should work OK.

      Jason, I did check the motherboard specs of course, but you do
      present a good argument. I've never used the MB, so it could be
      dead and I may have to buy a new one, even though the one I have
      is new. So, I think the extra $30.00 to get the PC2100 DDR is
      worth getting so I can use it still in an upgrade if need be.
      That is my only reason, hrs, for getting the "faster" memory,
      because like Mork from Ork says, "nanu-nanu; shazbug," a
      nanosecond isn't noticeable to us. ;)

      >> Product Name: Intel Pentium 4 2.0GHz 400MHz 478 pin 512K OEM
      >
      >> I think, just to be on the safe side, grab the $5.00 90 days
      >> warranty on the processor or even the 180 days for $8 bucks???
      >
      >I usually never buy processors with an extra warranty. If you buy a
      >retail-box processor (vs. a white-box or OEM) processor, then you'll
      >get a decent warranty. I think AMD's are a year but don't quote me on
      >that. Usually if it's installed correctly and it works, it will
      >continue to as long as you don't overclock it too much or your CPU fan
      >doesn't die. You also don't have to worry about finding a decent fan
      >since one comes with a retail CPU. It saves issues if the fan isn't
      >the right size and cracks the chip or just doesn't move enough air -
      >then you can say to whomever you're returning it, "I used the fan that
      >came with the thing, it's not my fault!" <grin>

      I rarely buy extended warranties, because like most of us know,
      it either works and last a long time, or it doesn't work from the
      get-go. However, a retail version is out of my price range, I
      think. I haven't checked out my pricewatch.com on that yet. The
      motherboard (MB) I have won't take an AMD, else I would go with
      it. I know there are those that are Intel only, and that strongly
      believe that AMDs should not be used, but I have always used AMD
      and never had a problem out of them except for one and it was bad
      from the get-go, I just couldn't prove it to return - a long
      story... Maybe, I can find a MB combo with the RAM and CPU for
      cheaper than the route I am going trying to buy for an existing
      MB that I have. I could just resell the MB on eBay. It was one of
      those "package" deals from a seller on eBay that I picked it up
      in the first place and only paid like $14.95 for it with shipping.

      Happy Days,
      Jody

      Get the best software in the universe!
      http://www.fookes.com/regnow.html?2448
      Sojourners 5-Wink Software: only the best!
      http://www.sojourner.us/software
      See ya in the funnies
      http://www.clean-funnies.com
    • Jason W.
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 14, 2005
        On 8/13/05, Jody <kjv-av1611@...> wrote:

        > Jason, I did check the motherboard specs of course, but you do
        > present a good argument. I've never used the MB, so it could be
        > dead and I may have to buy a new one, even though the one I have

        Jody,

        I may have missed it, but it sounds like you've bought a board of Ebay
        and you're not sure it's good or not. What I would do in that
        situation is swap in known good parts. in fact I had to do this a few
        weeks ago for a relative's puter. I had to pull parts out of another
        puter and put them on the bad board before I could determine the board
        was bad. Make sure you have an ample supply of thermal compound! LOL

        > is new. So, I think the extra $30.00 to get the PC2100 DDR is
        > worth getting so I can use it still in an upgrade if need be.

        Ultimately, price is the deciding factor, but I try to get as fast as
        I can so it'll last longer in terms of upgradability. They've already
        started to phase out PC2100 too, which means the puters I built 2-3
        years ago will need new RAM should they get a new board :(

        > That is my only reason, hrs, for getting the "faster" memory,
        > because like Mork from Ork says, "nanu-nanu; shazbug," a
        > nanosecond isn't noticeable to us. ;)

        LOL I did notice a slight difference from PC2100 to PC2700 memory but
        it was not blazing by any means.

        > think. I haven't checked out my pricewatch.com on that

        I use www.pricegrabber.com for my online stuff. Pricewatch was just
        too confusing visually for me.

        > it. I know there are those that are Intel only, and that strongly
        > believe that AMDs should not be used, but I have always used AMD
        > and never had a problem out of them except for one and it was bad

        Lucky you! LOL They say don't use the wrong fan because they're
        shaped differently and you could crack the chip. And altho you want
        your morning cereal to go *crunch*, hearing that from your CPU is not
        a good thing :)

        --
        HTH, YMMV, HANW :)

        Jason

        EL-M Computer Help List - Computer help for listowners and list moderators
        http://groups-beta.google.com/group/EL-M-ComputerHelp/about

        On June 1, 2001, Steve Ballmer, CEO of Microsoft, told the Chicago
        Sun-Times: "Linux is cancer." Unsurprisingly that's incorrect; LINUX
        was released on August 25th 1991 and is therefore a Virgo.