DDR Memory pc1600 vs pc2100 and Processor Warranty

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 12, 2005
      Hi All,

      Is there a noticeable difference between pc1600 and pc2100 DDR RAM?

      If not, then the
      1GB PC1600 ECC Registered DDR 200MHz 184-Pin 128X72 $65.00 times 2
      would save a bit over say the
      1GB PC2100 ECC Registered DDR 266MHz 184-Pin 128X72 $80.00 times 2.

      1GB PC1600 ECC Registered DDR 200MHz 184-Pin 128X72 $65.00
      1GB PC2100 ECC NON-Registered DDR 266MHz 184-Pin 128X72 $90.00
      1GB PC2100 ECC Registered DDR 266MHz 184-Pin 128X72 $80.00
      1GB PC2100 ECC Registered DDR 266MHz 184-Pin 128X72 Low Profile $80.00

      Product Name: Intel Pentium 4 2.0GHz 400MHz 478 pin 512K OEM
      Product ID: 1009

      Manufacturer: Intel®
      Price: $115.00

      I think, just to be on the safe side, grab the $5.00 90 days
      warranty on the processor or even the 180 days for $8 bucks??? (I
      had a processor once that was bad and it was never proven to be
      bad until replaced after other replacements - turned out to be
      quite costly. I am on a tight budget though...

      Order Options:
      Extended Warranty 1 180Days Warranty (Add $8.00)
      30Days Warranty Free
      90Days Warranty (Add $5.00)

      Category: Intel Pentium 4 Socket-478 Processors

      Specifications:
      Processor Frequency 2 GHz
      Package Type 478 pin PPGA FC-PGA2
      Bus Speed 400 MHz
      L2 Cache Size 512 KB
      L2 Cache Speed 2 GHz
      Manufacturing Technology 0.13 micron
      Bus/Core Ratio 20
      Box Order Code BX80532PC2000D
      OEM Order Code RK80532PC041512

      Product Name: P4 Socket 478 PIN Fan with HeatSink
      Product ID: 803
      Price: $12.00

      http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
    • hsavage
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 12, 2005
        Jody wrote:
        > Hi All,
        >
        > Is there a noticeable difference between pc1600 and pc2100 DDR RAM?
        >
        > If not, then the
        > 1GB PC1600 ECC Registered DDR 200MHz 184-Pin 128X72 $65.00 times 2
        > would save a bit over say the
        > 1GB PC2100 ECC Registered DDR 266MHz 184-Pin 128X72 $80.00 times 2.
        >
        > Happy Topics,
        > Jody

        Jody,

        My computer shop guy says there's no significant difference, in terms of
        time were only speaking of nanoseconds. The pc1600 should work OK.

        ºvº
        05.08.12
        hrs > hsavage@...
      • Jason W.
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 13, 2005
          On 8/12/05, Jody <kjv-av1611@...> wrote:
          > Hi All,
          >
          > Is there a noticeable difference between pc1600 and pc2100 DDR RAM?

          Jody,

          Most newer boards won't take PC1600 memory anymore so if you haven't,
          you may want to check to see which kind(s) it takes. Also if you're
          adding RAM to an existing machine, you must get the same speed as you
          already have installed.

          > Product Name: Intel Pentium 4 2.0GHz 400MHz 478 pin 512K OEM
          > Product ID: 1009
          >
          > Manufacturer: Intel(r)
          > Price: $115.00
          >
          > I think, just to be on the safe side, grab the $5.00 90 days
          > warranty on the processor or even the 180 days for $8 bucks??? (I
          > had a processor once that was bad and it was never proven to be
          > bad until replaced after other replacements - turned out to be
          > quite costly. I am on a tight budget though...

          I usually never buy processors with an extra warranty. If you buy a
          retail-box processor (vs. a white-box or OEM) processor, then you'll
          get a decent warranty. I think AMD's are a year but don't quote me on
          that. Usually if it's installed correctly and it works, it will
          continue to as long as you don't overclock it too much or your CPU fan
          doesn't die. You also don't have to worry about finding a decent fan
          since one comes with a retail CPU. It saves issues if the fan isn't
          the right size and cracks the chip or just doesn't move enough air -
          then you can say to whomever you're returning it, "I used the fan that
          came with the thing, it's not my fault!" <grin>

          --
          HTH, YMMV, HANW :)

          Jason

          EL-M Computer Help List - Computer help for listowners and list moderators
          http://groups-beta.google.com/group/EL-M-ComputerHelp/about

          On June 1, 2001, Steve Ballmer, CEO of Microsoft, told the Chicago
          Sun-Times: "Linux is cancer." Unsurprisingly that's incorrect; LINUX
          was released on August 25th 1991 and is therefore a Virgo.
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 13, 2005
            Hi Jason W., Harvey (aka hrs), & Others,

            Harvey wrote:

            > My computer shop guy says there's no significant difference, in
            > terms of time were only speaking of nanoseconds. The pc1600
            > should work OK.

            Jason, I did check the motherboard specs of course, but you do
            present a good argument. I've never used the MB, so it could be
            dead and I may have to buy a new one, even though the one I have
            is new. So, I think the extra $30.00 to get the PC2100 DDR is
            worth getting so I can use it still in an upgrade if need be.
            That is my only reason, hrs, for getting the "faster" memory,
            because like Mork from Ork says, "nanu-nanu; shazbug," a
            nanosecond isn't noticeable to us. ;)

            >> Product Name: Intel Pentium 4 2.0GHz 400MHz 478 pin 512K OEM
            >
            >> I think, just to be on the safe side, grab the $5.00 90 days
            >> warranty on the processor or even the 180 days for $8 bucks???
            >
            >I usually never buy processors with an extra warranty. If you buy a
            >retail-box processor (vs. a white-box or OEM) processor, then you'll
            >get a decent warranty. I think AMD's are a year but don't quote me on
            >that. Usually if it's installed correctly and it works, it will
            >continue to as long as you don't overclock it too much or your CPU fan
            >doesn't die. You also don't have to worry about finding a decent fan
            >since one comes with a retail CPU. It saves issues if the fan isn't
            >the right size and cracks the chip or just doesn't move enough air -
            >then you can say to whomever you're returning it, "I used the fan that
            >came with the thing, it's not my fault!" <grin>

            I rarely buy extended warranties, because like most of us know,
            it either works and last a long time, or it doesn't work from the
            get-go. However, a retail version is out of my price range, I
            think. I haven't checked out my pricewatch.com on that yet. The
            motherboard (MB) I have won't take an AMD, else I would go with
            it. I know there are those that are Intel only, and that strongly
            believe that AMDs should not be used, but I have always used AMD
            and never had a problem out of them except for one and it was bad
            from the get-go, I just couldn't prove it to return - a long
            story... Maybe, I can find a MB combo with the RAM and CPU for
            cheaper than the route I am going trying to buy for an existing
            MB that I have. I could just resell the MB on eBay. It was one of
            those "package" deals from a seller on eBay that I picked it up
            in the first place and only paid like $14.95 for it with shipping.

            Happy Days,
            Jody

            Get the best software in the universe!
            http://www.fookes.com/regnow.html?2448
            Sojourners 5-Wink Software: only the best!
            http://www.sojourner.us/software
            See ya in the funnies
            http://www.clean-funnies.com
          • Jason W.
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 14, 2005
              On 8/13/05, Jody <kjv-av1611@...> wrote:

              > Jason, I did check the motherboard specs of course, but you do
              > present a good argument. I've never used the MB, so it could be
              > dead and I may have to buy a new one, even though the one I have

              Jody,

              I may have missed it, but it sounds like you've bought a board of Ebay
              and you're not sure it's good or not. What I would do in that
              situation is swap in known good parts. in fact I had to do this a few
              weeks ago for a relative's puter. I had to pull parts out of another
              puter and put them on the bad board before I could determine the board
              was bad. Make sure you have an ample supply of thermal compound! LOL

              > is new. So, I think the extra $30.00 to get the PC2100 DDR is
              > worth getting so I can use it still in an upgrade if need be.

              Ultimately, price is the deciding factor, but I try to get as fast as
              I can so it'll last longer in terms of upgradability. They've already
              started to phase out PC2100 too, which means the puters I built 2-3
              years ago will need new RAM should they get a new board :(

              > That is my only reason, hrs, for getting the "faster" memory,
              > because like Mork from Ork says, "nanu-nanu; shazbug," a
              > nanosecond isn't noticeable to us. ;)

              LOL I did notice a slight difference from PC2100 to PC2700 memory but
              it was not blazing by any means.

              > think. I haven't checked out my pricewatch.com on that

              I use www.pricegrabber.com for my online stuff. Pricewatch was just
              too confusing visually for me.

              > it. I know there are those that are Intel only, and that strongly
              > believe that AMDs should not be used, but I have always used AMD
              > and never had a problem out of them except for one and it was bad

              Lucky you! LOL They say don't use the wrong fan because they're
              shaped differently and you could crack the chip. And altho you want
              your morning cereal to go *crunch*, hearing that from your CPU is not
              a good thing :)