Re: [NTO] Any other strategies?

  • Adrian/ Rosemary Worsfold
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 6, 2005
      Thanks for the replies.

      I read them. By a roundbout route I discovered that an offending file was hclean.exe that was
      described as a Trojan Horse about which nothing could be done. An Internet search revealed a
      script to enter via a text to .reg file, which I did, but a better solution was l2mfix.exe installed which
      I also activated. Whether these worked together or just the latter, the hclean.exe file was
      revealed. It could not be erased. I ran the installed l2mfix again and the result was that the
      Broadband dialup number (of sorts) was transferred to all dialups. Reinstalling other dialup
      numbers has seen them become stable. At least so far.

      In addition I have followed much conversation on this list and installed Mozilla Firefox in order to
      add some protection from attacks. I had been using MyIE2 which I like for tabs but it is too
      dependent on IE for functioning.

      I've left myself this note in the fixer program.

      Click on l2mfix.bat in case of infection

      This runs the program before and after boot up and has probably altered hclean.exe and
      reintroduced stability on 07/08/2005. Instead of the corruption of dialup by outside infection, it put
      the number for broadband across all dialups after which they were reinstalled to their own
      numbers, suggesting that the default dialup was sent across all accounts.

      Adrian Worsfold

      http://www.pluralist.co.uk
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 11, 2005
        Hi Alec / Adrian:

        >You might want to try:
        >>> "Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) is a security technology that
        >>> helps protect Windows users from spyware and other potentially
        >>> unwanted software. Known spyware on your PC can be detected
        >>> and removed.

        I too have been using it by recommendation from this list. I like
        it very much. It catches stuff that Lavasoft's Adware6 (?) and
        SpyBot misses and is very, very much faster!!! My compliments to
        the MS development team on it, even though I'm quite sure they
        are all on this list. <bg>

        Take care,
        Jody Adair

        and even thou doest err some! ;)
        http://clean-funnies.com
        http://notetab.net, http://fookes.us
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 11, 2005
          Hi Barry and Others,

          >I use a good firewall (Zone Alarm) and I have also installed a
          >small program called WinPatrol http://www.winpatrol.com/ which
          >alerts me immediately any attempt is made to alter my OS without
          >my knowledge or permission. I think nowadays that an AV program
          >is a must as well and there are a number of good freebies out
          >there http://www.free-av.com/antivirus/allinonen.html I know it's
          >bolting the stable door but you don't want the same think to
          >happen all over again.

          I have used ZoneAlarm for a number of years and it is my firm
          belief that it is far more import to use than an antivirus
          program. Actually, I find antivirus programs quite useless *for
          me* because of strict "rules" I have made like don't open eMail
          attachments or go to links unless you are expecting them from the
          person mailing them, and if not, I write them and ask if they
          included the attachment, link, etc. Virus protectors are good to
          have, so please don't take me wrong. I do use one and do suggest
          that everybody uses one, ***but*** do not trust them. They are
          not perfect, new viruses are sent out daily, and it depends on
          your antivirus software on how up to date they keep the
          signatures file, the files used to detect the viruses/worms, etc.
          Always use the: when in doubt, don't open it rule!!!

          Jody Adair
          Fookes Software Support
          Personal eMail Addresses from my Web Sites...
          mailto:Jody@...?subject=Jody,_Support...
          mailto:Support@...?subject=Jody,_Support...

          Aid4Mail.US
          http://www.fookes.us/aid4mail