Re: [NTO] Any other strategies?

  • R Shapp
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 6, 2005
      Hi Adrian and all,

      Please get additional opinions about the Linksys router before you buy it. I
      have installed three of them in three different locations. Only one has been
      trouble-free. The others each intermittently give false IP addresses. The
      model number in all cases is WRT55AG (Dual-Band Wireless A+G Broadband
      Router). A friend told me he had similar problems with Linksys routers at his
      place of business. He cured the problem by switching to D-Link routers. I
      don't know the model numbers involved at his shop.

      I replaced my two faulty Linksys units with the D-Link 108G Gaming router, and
      have had no recurring problems.

      YMMV

      Ray Shapp
    • Adrian/ Rosemary Worsfold
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 6, 2005
        Thanks for the replies.

        I read them. By a roundbout route I discovered that an offending file was hclean.exe that was
        described as a Trojan Horse about which nothing could be done. An Internet search revealed a
        script to enter via a text to .reg file, which I did, but a better solution was l2mfix.exe installed which
        I also activated. Whether these worked together or just the latter, the hclean.exe file was
        revealed. It could not be erased. I ran the installed l2mfix again and the result was that the
        Broadband dialup number (of sorts) was transferred to all dialups. Reinstalling other dialup
        numbers has seen them become stable. At least so far.

        In addition I have followed much conversation on this list and installed Mozilla Firefox in order to
        add some protection from attacks. I had been using MyIE2 which I like for tabs but it is too
        dependent on IE for functioning.

        I've left myself this note in the fixer program.

        Click on l2mfix.bat in case of infection

        This runs the program before and after boot up and has probably altered hclean.exe and
        reintroduced stability on 07/08/2005. Instead of the corruption of dialup by outside infection, it put
        the number for broadband across all dialups after which they were reinstalled to their own
        numbers, suggesting that the default dialup was sent across all accounts.

        Adrian Worsfold

        http://www.pluralist.co.uk
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 11, 2005
          Hi Alec / Adrian:

          >You might want to try:
          >>> "Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) is a security technology that
          >>> helps protect Windows users from spyware and other potentially
          >>> unwanted software. Known spyware on your PC can be detected
          >>> and removed.

          I too have been using it by recommendation from this list. I like
          it very much. It catches stuff that Lavasoft's Adware6 (?) and
          SpyBot misses and is very, very much faster!!! My compliments to
          the MS development team on it, even though I'm quite sure they
          are all on this list. <bg>

          Take care,
          Jody Adair

          and even thou doest err some! ;)
          http://clean-funnies.com
          http://notetab.net, http://fookes.us
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 11, 2005
            Hi Barry and Others,

            >I use a good firewall (Zone Alarm) and I have also installed a
            >small program called WinPatrol http://www.winpatrol.com/ which
            >alerts me immediately any attempt is made to alter my OS without
            >my knowledge or permission. I think nowadays that an AV program
            >is a must as well and there are a number of good freebies out
            >there http://www.free-av.com/antivirus/allinonen.html I know it's
            >bolting the stable door but you don't want the same think to
            >happen all over again.

            I have used ZoneAlarm for a number of years and it is my firm
            belief that it is far more import to use than an antivirus
            program. Actually, I find antivirus programs quite useless *for
            me* because of strict "rules" I have made like don't open eMail
            attachments or go to links unless you are expecting them from the
            person mailing them, and if not, I write them and ask if they
            included the attachment, link, etc. Virus protectors are good to
            have, so please don't take me wrong. I do use one and do suggest
            that everybody uses one, ***but*** do not trust them. They are
            not perfect, new viruses are sent out daily, and it depends on
            your antivirus software on how up to date they keep the
            signatures file, the files used to detect the viruses/worms, etc.
            Always use the: when in doubt, don't open it rule!!!

            Jody Adair
            Fookes Software Support
            Personal eMail Addresses from my Web Sites...
            mailto:Jody@...?subject=Jody,_Support...
            mailto:Support@...?subject=Jody,_Support...

            Aid4Mail.US
            http://www.fookes.us/aid4mail