Re: [NTO] Any other strategies?

  • hsavage
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 6, 2005
      Adrian/ Rosemary Worsfold wrote:

      > Two days on Broadband with my other computer and a virus has
      > affected the dial up.
      >
      > I've just been vigilant. This is two days into broadband. I
      > know the mistake I made. A box appeared asking if I wanted to
      > press OK or Cancel, and instead of disconnecting before pressing
      > the x I just pressed the x. I suspect too that some unseen web
      > pages have come into the system and spread their poison. I don't
      > as a rule leave the broadband on, but it was on enough for the
      > nasty invasion. I'm just wondering if any of you experts out
      > there have another strategy prior to the clean up to try?
      >
      > Adrian Worsfold

      Adrian,

      Since you do have broadband/adsl, I have adsl, you might want to try
      several of the online scans provided by many of the AV software makers.
      Each shows slightly different weaknesses and strong points.

      You should also consider changing your AV software. I used Norton for
      several years and for several reasons, mainly because it caused as much
      trouble as it fixed. The last thing that comes to mind is its inability
      to deal with the Klez virus.

      I shopped around, got others opinions and settled for Panda AV. The
      previous and latest versions also have a software firewall that appears
      to be very proficient. The new version also has built-in spam and
      spyware functions that also appear to work very well.

      In its day Norton was about the, only and best, but, that day is over
      and there are several other very good choices. AVG has a free, limited,
      version that is very good.

      ºvº
      05.08.06
      hrs > hsavage@...
    • R Shapp
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 6, 2005
        Hi Adrian and all,

        Please get additional opinions about the Linksys router before you buy it. I
        have installed three of them in three different locations. Only one has been
        trouble-free. The others each intermittently give false IP addresses. The
        model number in all cases is WRT55AG (Dual-Band Wireless A+G Broadband
        Router). A friend told me he had similar problems with Linksys routers at his
        place of business. He cured the problem by switching to D-Link routers. I
        don't know the model numbers involved at his shop.

        I replaced my two faulty Linksys units with the D-Link 108G Gaming router, and
        have had no recurring problems.

        YMMV

        Ray Shapp
      • Adrian/ Rosemary Worsfold
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 6, 2005
          Thanks for the replies.

          I read them. By a roundbout route I discovered that an offending file was hclean.exe that was
          described as a Trojan Horse about which nothing could be done. An Internet search revealed a
          script to enter via a text to .reg file, which I did, but a better solution was l2mfix.exe installed which
          I also activated. Whether these worked together or just the latter, the hclean.exe file was
          revealed. It could not be erased. I ran the installed l2mfix again and the result was that the
          Broadband dialup number (of sorts) was transferred to all dialups. Reinstalling other dialup
          numbers has seen them become stable. At least so far.

          In addition I have followed much conversation on this list and installed Mozilla Firefox in order to
          add some protection from attacks. I had been using MyIE2 which I like for tabs but it is too
          dependent on IE for functioning.

          I've left myself this note in the fixer program.

          Click on l2mfix.bat in case of infection

          This runs the program before and after boot up and has probably altered hclean.exe and
          reintroduced stability on 07/08/2005. Instead of the corruption of dialup by outside infection, it put
          the number for broadband across all dialups after which they were reinstalled to their own
          numbers, suggesting that the default dialup was sent across all accounts.

          Adrian Worsfold

          http://www.pluralist.co.uk
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 11, 2005
            Hi Alec / Adrian:

            >You might want to try:
            >>> "Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) is a security technology that
            >>> helps protect Windows users from spyware and other potentially
            >>> unwanted software. Known spyware on your PC can be detected
            >>> and removed.

            I too have been using it by recommendation from this list. I like
            it very much. It catches stuff that Lavasoft's Adware6 (?) and
            SpyBot misses and is very, very much faster!!! My compliments to
            the MS development team on it, even though I'm quite sure they
            are all on this list. <bg>

            Take care,
            Jody Adair

            and even thou doest err some! ;)
            http://clean-funnies.com
            http://notetab.net, http://fookes.us
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 11, 2005
              Hi Barry and Others,

              >I use a good firewall (Zone Alarm) and I have also installed a
              >small program called WinPatrol http://www.winpatrol.com/ which
              >alerts me immediately any attempt is made to alter my OS without
              >my knowledge or permission. I think nowadays that an AV program
              >is a must as well and there are a number of good freebies out
              >there http://www.free-av.com/antivirus/allinonen.html I know it's
              >bolting the stable door but you don't want the same think to
              >happen all over again.

              I have used ZoneAlarm for a number of years and it is my firm
              belief that it is far more import to use than an antivirus
              program. Actually, I find antivirus programs quite useless *for
              me* because of strict "rules" I have made like don't open eMail
              attachments or go to links unless you are expecting them from the
              person mailing them, and if not, I write them and ask if they
              included the attachment, link, etc. Virus protectors are good to
              have, so please don't take me wrong. I do use one and do suggest
              that everybody uses one, ***but*** do not trust them. They are
              not perfect, new viruses are sent out daily, and it depends on
              your antivirus software on how up to date they keep the
              signatures file, the files used to detect the viruses/worms, etc.
              Always use the: when in doubt, don't open it rule!!!

              Jody Adair
              Fookes Software Support
              Personal eMail Addresses from my Web Sites...
              mailto:Jody@...?subject=Jody,_Support...
              mailto:Support@...?subject=Jody,_Support...

              Aid4Mail.US
              http://www.fookes.us/aid4mail