Re: [NTO] Any other strategies?

  • Barry
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 6, 2005
      I use a good firewall (Zone Alarm) and I have also installed a small program
      called WinPatrol http://www.winpatrol.com/ which alerts me immediately any
      attempt is made to alter my OS without my knowledge or permission. I think
      nowadays that an AV program is a must as well and there are a number of good
      freebies out there http://www.free-av.com/antivirus/allinonen.html I know
      it's bolting the stable door but you don't want the same think to happen all
      over again.

      Take care. Barry
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 6, 2005
        At 04:00 2005-08-06, Adrian/ Rosemary Worsfold wrote:
        >Two days on Broadband with my other computer and a virus has affected the
        >dial up. It gives
        >another user name, another password and a different number. It does the
        >same for the dial up
        >into the Broadband, but this cannot work as it does not rely on a
        >telephone number but a
        >special number. It also attempts to alter the home page, and if I have it
        >at about blank it
        >makes it http://"about blank. I

        Just a guess:
        http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/CoolWebSearch.html

        Try this page too. The detection script running there is pretty good.
        http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/

        Lotta
      • hsavage
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 6, 2005
          Adrian/ Rosemary Worsfold wrote:

          > Two days on Broadband with my other computer and a virus has
          > affected the dial up.
          >
          > I've just been vigilant. This is two days into broadband. I
          > know the mistake I made. A box appeared asking if I wanted to
          > press OK or Cancel, and instead of disconnecting before pressing
          > the x I just pressed the x. I suspect too that some unseen web
          > pages have come into the system and spread their poison. I don't
          > as a rule leave the broadband on, but it was on enough for the
          > nasty invasion. I'm just wondering if any of you experts out
          > there have another strategy prior to the clean up to try?
          >
          > Adrian Worsfold

          Adrian,

          Since you do have broadband/adsl, I have adsl, you might want to try
          several of the online scans provided by many of the AV software makers.
          Each shows slightly different weaknesses and strong points.

          You should also consider changing your AV software. I used Norton for
          several years and for several reasons, mainly because it caused as much
          trouble as it fixed. The last thing that comes to mind is its inability
          to deal with the Klez virus.

          I shopped around, got others opinions and settled for Panda AV. The
          previous and latest versions also have a software firewall that appears
          to be very proficient. The new version also has built-in spam and
          spyware functions that also appear to work very well.

          In its day Norton was about the, only and best, but, that day is over
          and there are several other very good choices. AVG has a free, limited,
          version that is very good.

          ºvº
          05.08.06
          hrs > hsavage@...
        • R Shapp
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 6, 2005
            Hi Adrian and all,

            Please get additional opinions about the Linksys router before you buy it. I
            have installed three of them in three different locations. Only one has been
            trouble-free. The others each intermittently give false IP addresses. The
            model number in all cases is WRT55AG (Dual-Band Wireless A+G Broadband
            Router). A friend told me he had similar problems with Linksys routers at his
            place of business. He cured the problem by switching to D-Link routers. I
            don't know the model numbers involved at his shop.

            I replaced my two faulty Linksys units with the D-Link 108G Gaming router, and
            have had no recurring problems.

            YMMV

            Ray Shapp
          • Adrian/ Rosemary Worsfold
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 6, 2005
              Thanks for the replies.

              I read them. By a roundbout route I discovered that an offending file was hclean.exe that was
              described as a Trojan Horse about which nothing could be done. An Internet search revealed a
              script to enter via a text to .reg file, which I did, but a better solution was l2mfix.exe installed which
              I also activated. Whether these worked together or just the latter, the hclean.exe file was
              revealed. It could not be erased. I ran the installed l2mfix again and the result was that the
              Broadband dialup number (of sorts) was transferred to all dialups. Reinstalling other dialup
              numbers has seen them become stable. At least so far.

              In addition I have followed much conversation on this list and installed Mozilla Firefox in order to
              add some protection from attacks. I had been using MyIE2 which I like for tabs but it is too
              dependent on IE for functioning.

              I've left myself this note in the fixer program.

              Click on l2mfix.bat in case of infection

              This runs the program before and after boot up and has probably altered hclean.exe and
              reintroduced stability on 07/08/2005. Instead of the corruption of dialup by outside infection, it put
              the number for broadband across all dialups after which they were reinstalled to their own
              numbers, suggesting that the default dialup was sent across all accounts.

              Adrian Worsfold

              http://www.pluralist.co.uk
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 11, 2005
                Hi Alec / Adrian:

                >You might want to try:
                >>> "Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) is a security technology that
                >>> helps protect Windows users from spyware and other potentially
                >>> unwanted software. Known spyware on your PC can be detected
                >>> and removed.

                I too have been using it by recommendation from this list. I like
                it very much. It catches stuff that Lavasoft's Adware6 (?) and
                SpyBot misses and is very, very much faster!!! My compliments to
                the MS development team on it, even though I'm quite sure they
                are all on this list. <bg>

                Take care,
                Jody Adair

                and even thou doest err some! ;)
                http://clean-funnies.com
                http://notetab.net, http://fookes.us
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 11, 2005
                  Hi Barry and Others,

                  >I use a good firewall (Zone Alarm) and I have also installed a
                  >small program called WinPatrol http://www.winpatrol.com/ which
                  >alerts me immediately any attempt is made to alter my OS without
                  >my knowledge or permission. I think nowadays that an AV program
                  >is a must as well and there are a number of good freebies out
                  >there http://www.free-av.com/antivirus/allinonen.html I know it's
                  >bolting the stable door but you don't want the same think to
                  >happen all over again.

                  I have used ZoneAlarm for a number of years and it is my firm
                  belief that it is far more import to use than an antivirus
                  program. Actually, I find antivirus programs quite useless *for
                  me* because of strict "rules" I have made like don't open eMail
                  attachments or go to links unless you are expecting them from the
                  person mailing them, and if not, I write them and ask if they
                  included the attachment, link, etc. Virus protectors are good to
                  have, so please don't take me wrong. I do use one and do suggest
                  that everybody uses one, ***but*** do not trust them. They are
                  not perfect, new viruses are sent out daily, and it depends on
                  your antivirus software on how up to date they keep the
                  signatures file, the files used to detect the viruses/worms, etc.
                  Always use the: when in doubt, don't open it rule!!!

                  Jody Adair
                  Fookes Software Support
                  Personal eMail Addresses from my Web Sites...
                  mailto:Jody@...?subject=Jody,_Support...
                  mailto:Support@...?subject=Jody,_Support...

                  Aid4Mail.US
                  http://www.fookes.us/aid4mail