Re: [NTO] Any other strategies?

  • Fay Johnston
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 5, 2005
    • Alec Burgess
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 6, 2005
        Adrian:

        You don't say what kind of firewall you're using?

        It might be worth considering getting a hardware router - eg. here in
        Canada, Linksys 4-port router is around $100 and allows shared connection
        while blocking most of the bad stuff coming in. All I use the software
        firewall for is notification when an application tries to get out the first
        time or after a version change.

        You might want to try:
        >>"Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) is a security technology that helps protect
        Windows users from spyware and other potentially unwanted software. Known
        spyware on your PC can be detected and removed. This helps reduce negative
        effects caused by spyware including slow PC performance, annoying pop-up
        ads, unwanted changes to Internet settings, and unauthorized use of your
        private information. Continuous protection improves Internet browsing safety
        by guarding over fifty (50) ways spyware can enter your PC."
        http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=321CD7A2-6A57-4C57-A8BD-DBF62EDA9671&displaylang=en<<

        I've been using it for several months and it seems to be as good or better
        than Spybot etc. One of your complaints appears to be symptomatic of
        something hijacking your home-page which MS AntiSpyware *will* protect
        against.

        Definitely worth considering:
        Switch to Firefox. One of the available extensions gives a right-context
        entry to open a page in IE for the odd thing that doesn't get displayed
        perfectly in Firefox. Add the AdBlock and GreaseMonkey extensions to it and
        browsing becomes much more fun :-D

        A friend of mine had a virus infected computer - opening IE took forever
        etc. Rather than go through all the time consuming virus / spyware cleansing
        I just got her to switch to using a copy of Netscape Navigator she had
        installed some time earlier - after importing her favorites from IE and
        removing the shortcut to IE from her desktop she's as happy as ..... in ....
        The original problems are probably still there but she's not noticing them
        now.

        Note:
        Probably nothing wrong with using Norton stuff but my personal preferences
        are currently:
        Firewall - Sygate Personal Firewall
        AntiVirus - Avast
        both freeware

        Regards ... Alec
        --
        ; ( ) { } [ ] \ | 9 0 + = () {} []

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 6, 2005
          I use a good firewall (Zone Alarm) and I have also installed a small program
          called WinPatrol http://www.winpatrol.com/ which alerts me immediately any
          attempt is made to alter my OS without my knowledge or permission. I think
          nowadays that an AV program is a must as well and there are a number of good
          freebies out there http://www.free-av.com/antivirus/allinonen.html I know
          it's bolting the stable door but you don't want the same think to happen all
          over again.

          Take care. Barry
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 6, 2005
            At 04:00 2005-08-06, Adrian/ Rosemary Worsfold wrote:
            >Two days on Broadband with my other computer and a virus has affected the
            >dial up. It gives
            >another user name, another password and a different number. It does the
            >same for the dial up
            >into the Broadband, but this cannot work as it does not rely on a
            >telephone number but a
            >special number. It also attempts to alter the home page, and if I have it
            >at about blank it
            >makes it http://"about blank. I

            Just a guess:
            http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/CoolWebSearch.html

            Try this page too. The detection script running there is pretty good.
            http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/

            Lotta
          • hsavage
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 6, 2005
              Adrian/ Rosemary Worsfold wrote:

              > Two days on Broadband with my other computer and a virus has
              > affected the dial up.
              >
              > I've just been vigilant. This is two days into broadband. I
              > know the mistake I made. A box appeared asking if I wanted to
              > press OK or Cancel, and instead of disconnecting before pressing
              > the x I just pressed the x. I suspect too that some unseen web
              > pages have come into the system and spread their poison. I don't
              > as a rule leave the broadband on, but it was on enough for the
              > nasty invasion. I'm just wondering if any of you experts out
              > there have another strategy prior to the clean up to try?
              >
              > Adrian Worsfold

              Adrian,

              Since you do have broadband/adsl, I have adsl, you might want to try
              several of the online scans provided by many of the AV software makers.
              Each shows slightly different weaknesses and strong points.

              You should also consider changing your AV software. I used Norton for
              several years and for several reasons, mainly because it caused as much
              trouble as it fixed. The last thing that comes to mind is its inability
              to deal with the Klez virus.

              I shopped around, got others opinions and settled for Panda AV. The
              previous and latest versions also have a software firewall that appears
              to be very proficient. The new version also has built-in spam and
              spyware functions that also appear to work very well.

              In its day Norton was about the, only and best, but, that day is over
              and there are several other very good choices. AVG has a free, limited,
              version that is very good.

              ºvº
              05.08.06
              hrs > hsavage@...
            • R Shapp
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 6, 2005
                Hi Adrian and all,

                Please get additional opinions about the Linksys router before you buy it. I
                have installed three of them in three different locations. Only one has been
                trouble-free. The others each intermittently give false IP addresses. The
                model number in all cases is WRT55AG (Dual-Band Wireless A+G Broadband
                Router). A friend told me he had similar problems with Linksys routers at his
                place of business. He cured the problem by switching to D-Link routers. I
                don't know the model numbers involved at his shop.

                I replaced my two faulty Linksys units with the D-Link 108G Gaming router, and
                have had no recurring problems.

                YMMV

                Ray Shapp
              • Adrian/ Rosemary Worsfold
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 6, 2005
                  Thanks for the replies.

                  I read them. By a roundbout route I discovered that an offending file was hclean.exe that was
                  described as a Trojan Horse about which nothing could be done. An Internet search revealed a
                  script to enter via a text to .reg file, which I did, but a better solution was l2mfix.exe installed which
                  I also activated. Whether these worked together or just the latter, the hclean.exe file was
                  revealed. It could not be erased. I ran the installed l2mfix again and the result was that the
                  Broadband dialup number (of sorts) was transferred to all dialups. Reinstalling other dialup
                  numbers has seen them become stable. At least so far.

                  In addition I have followed much conversation on this list and installed Mozilla Firefox in order to
                  add some protection from attacks. I had been using MyIE2 which I like for tabs but it is too
                  dependent on IE for functioning.

                  I've left myself this note in the fixer program.

                  Click on l2mfix.bat in case of infection

                  This runs the program before and after boot up and has probably altered hclean.exe and
                  reintroduced stability on 07/08/2005. Instead of the corruption of dialup by outside infection, it put
                  the number for broadband across all dialups after which they were reinstalled to their own
                  numbers, suggesting that the default dialup was sent across all accounts.

                  Adrian Worsfold

                  http://www.pluralist.co.uk
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 11, 2005
                    Hi Alec / Adrian:

                    >You might want to try:
                    >>> "Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) is a security technology that
                    >>> helps protect Windows users from spyware and other potentially
                    >>> unwanted software. Known spyware on your PC can be detected
                    >>> and removed.

                    I too have been using it by recommendation from this list. I like
                    it very much. It catches stuff that Lavasoft's Adware6 (?) and
                    SpyBot misses and is very, very much faster!!! My compliments to
                    the MS development team on it, even though I'm quite sure they
                    are all on this list. <bg>

                    Take care,
                    Jody Adair

                    and even thou doest err some! ;)
                    http://clean-funnies.com
                    http://notetab.net, http://fookes.us
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 11, 2005
                      Hi Barry and Others,

                      >I use a good firewall (Zone Alarm) and I have also installed a
                      >small program called WinPatrol http://www.winpatrol.com/ which
                      >alerts me immediately any attempt is made to alter my OS without
                      >my knowledge or permission. I think nowadays that an AV program
                      >is a must as well and there are a number of good freebies out
                      >there http://www.free-av.com/antivirus/allinonen.html I know it's
                      >bolting the stable door but you don't want the same think to
                      >happen all over again.

                      I have used ZoneAlarm for a number of years and it is my firm
                      belief that it is far more import to use than an antivirus
                      program. Actually, I find antivirus programs quite useless *for
                      me* because of strict "rules" I have made like don't open eMail
                      attachments or go to links unless you are expecting them from the
                      person mailing them, and if not, I write them and ask if they
                      included the attachment, link, etc. Virus protectors are good to
                      have, so please don't take me wrong. I do use one and do suggest
                      that everybody uses one, ***but*** do not trust them. They are
                      not perfect, new viruses are sent out daily, and it depends on
                      your antivirus software on how up to date they keep the
                      signatures file, the files used to detect the viruses/worms, etc.
                      Always use the: when in doubt, don't open it rule!!!

                      Jody Adair
                      Fookes Software Support
                      Personal eMail Addresses from my Web Sites...
                      mailto:Jody@...?subject=Jody,_Support...
                      mailto:Support@...?subject=Jody,_Support...

                      Aid4Mail.US
                      http://www.fookes.us/aid4mail