Re: [NTO] Re: [Clip] Newbie silly question; mkdir from list

  • Don - htmlfixit.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 20, 2005
      hsavage wrote:
> [...]
      It must be a permissions issue. Did you review the permissions on the
      folder via explorer?
    • Mr. Phillip Sand Hansel II
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 20, 2005
        --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, hsavage <hsavage@p...> wrote:
        delete.

        >... here's a URL that I'm investigating now, you might try
        > it also.
        >
        > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320081
        > hrs > hsavage@p...

        Thanks for the link, it allowed me to figure out this solution...

        rmdir /S "\\?\C:\PROJECT\bhp\working\"

        That folder had the bad foldername in it. It was otherwise empty. I
        got rid of the one above the one that had the problem.

        The /S means "Removes all directories and files in the specified
        directory in addition to the directory itself. Used to remove a
        directory tree."

        Recursive in UNIX.

        Sorry to be so dense, but I did not realize there was an "offtopic"
        group to join and everytime I was told to take it off topic, I was
        at a loss. I'm pretty quick, but not instantaneous. :-)
      • hsavage
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 20, 2005
          Mr. Phillip Sand Hansel II wrote:
          > --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, hsavage <hsavage@p...> wrote:
          > delete.
          >
          >> ... here's a URL that I'm investigating now, you might try
          >> it also.
          >
          > Thanks for the link, it allowed me to figure out this solution...
          >
          > rmdir /S "\\?\C:\PROJECT\bhp\working\"
          >
          > That folder had the bad foldername in it. It was otherwise empty. I
          > got rid of the one above the one that had the problem.
          >
          > Sorry to be so dense, but I did not realize there was an "offtopic"
          > group to join and everytime I was told to take it off topic, I was
          > at a loss. I'm pretty quick, but not instantaneous. :-)

          Phillip,

          One of the possible cures I tried yesterday was to run - chkdsk c: /f.
          Chkdsk will only run on boot or reboot in XP. After the reboot my
          profile was gone, XP had created another profile named 'ADMINISTRATOR'
          which wasn't there before.

          My display mode was the XP default, all the rounded window corners and
          very different colors from my preferences.

          It looked like I had several days of copying and editing ahead of me
          but, then I remembered the 'Restore' software MS added, tried it and it
          brought back my original profile as it should have been. I deleted the
          new 'ADMIN...' profile that was auto-created and everything is back to
          normal.

          Glad to hear you found your cure, I took a couple of minutes while
          composing this and tried my stubborn folder, after converting the
          command to fit my case.

          My folder started out with a name identical to yours but to make it sort
          to the bottom of the of the folder list I renamed the folder and all the
          subs.

          This is the command I used - rmdir /s "\\?\c:\z\" - and it worked in my
          case also, thanks.

          ºvº
          05.07.20
          hrs > hsavage@...