Re: [Clip] Changing file names

  • Jeffery Scism
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 20, 2005
      Don - htmlfixit.com wrote:

      >Jeffery Scism wrote:
      >

      >>I have several programs which add a pre-pend to file names as they
      >>automatically create the file.
      >>
      >>Is there a clip out therew that renames files ( I Use STANDARD) What I
      >>am looking for (similar to several in DIRSTUFF) is one that "gets the
      >>file names,in a directory, searches/matches an input criteria, and if
      >>that criteria is the first part of the file name. deletes THAT portion,
      >>leaving the file name shortened, and saved in the same directory.
      >>
      >>(examples of prepends would be "Photo - ", "new - ", "Various - " (AND
      >>YES THERE IS A SPACE BEFORE AND AFTER EACH DASH)
      >>
      >>( it would save steps if the clip converted file names to all lower
      >>case, when saving, and escaping if a file name already exists.)
      >>

      >I am sure you could easily write a clip, however, notetab isn't always
      >the best answer ....
      >I use a program called 1-4a rename that does exactly that on all windows
      >operating systems. It will search and replace on filenames and hundreds
      >of other common tasks Jeff. It is quite easy to use. I had another
      >similiar one I used to like to use as well, but I have lost my copy.
      >Anyway, if you load something up (meaning a directory) and then use
      >search and replace ... it will show the new and old names. When you are
      >sure you have it right, commit it with the start button and zip zap
      >zing. It also actually has an undo button!
      >
      >It will also convert to all lower case, change formatting if you set
      >rules for illegal file names, and of course alert you to duplicate file
      >names before renameing. I think it does what you want to be honest.
      >
      >http://www.1-4a.com/rename/
      >
      >This is of course off topic for further discussion SO I AM COPYING IT TO
      >OFF TOPIC FOR FURTHER DISCUSSION.
      >Clip solutions are certainly permissible here ... just not renaming
      >utilities.

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

      Thanks, Got it, figgering it out...

      --
      ~~

      Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG

      The most common sentence in Genealogy begins like this:

      "Three brothers immigrated to America, and all "XXX" families in America descend from those three brothers..."

      S250 DNA Project
      Crawley DNA Project
      Montgomery County Indiana USGenWeb site