Re: [NTO] getting my newsletter to its recipients

  • Don - htmlfixit.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 17, 2005
      dean martineau wrote:
      > I produce a small free weekly newsletter on adaptive technology, Top Tech
      > Tidbits for Thursday. I have around a thousand subscribers, and the
      > newsletter is greeted quite enthusiastically. The problem is that a small
      > but growing number of subscribers do not receive it. I assume this is
      > because itis mass-distributed by a mailman list at my site and that the
      > issues contain lots of links.
      >
      > I really don't want to mail it myself and handle the distribution list in
      > Eudora, and I don't know if doing so would improve the situation. I'm
      > wondering if, using Notetab clips or some other means, I could set up an
      > automated process whereby a program would grab one address from a list,
      > generate a message to that individual alone containing the newsletter and
      > send it using Earthlink's smtp server, which is the only one I know of I
      > have access to? Or can anybody else identify some solution whereby I can
      > send out a legitimate newsletter to which people willingly and voluntarily
      > subscribe and get it past the spam filters?
      >
      > Dean
      > www.topdotenterprises.com

      Hi Dean,

      Well that can be done. It is also very easy to do with word for example
      and a delimited list (as much as I dislike MS products). It will
      mailmerge individual emails. So with that built in there, why bother
      writing something here?

      If you are putting everyone in one big list of people, that is a key
      that you are mass mailing as you noted. You can create a group in
      eudora, outlook express or thunderbird of course, but those are very
      hard to manage.

      You might also look at a server side solutions. I have used and very
      much like Dada Mail (formerly MoJo Mail): http://mojo.skazat.com/
      PHP or perl also give many options for self made deals.

      What you really need to do however, is decide to go the blog format.
      Get Wordpress or equivalent installed, offer your readers an RSS feed.
      Then every time you publish, they get the RSS feed. You may still want
      to follow it with an email every now and then.

      As an alternative, consider making it a group on either yahoogroups
      (example this list) or google groups. You simply moderate everyone else
      so that they cannot respond to the group. If you don't want a server
      side solution, and don't mind an ad or two, then that is a great
      alternative.

      Don