getting my newsletter to its recipients

  • dean martineau
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 17, 2005
      I produce a small free weekly newsletter on adaptive technology, Top Tech
      Tidbits for Thursday. I have around a thousand subscribers, and the
      newsletter is greeted quite enthusiastically. The problem is that a small
      but growing number of subscribers do not receive it. I assume this is
      because itis mass-distributed by a mailman list at my site and that the
      issues contain lots of links.

      I really don't want to mail it myself and handle the distribution list in
      Eudora, and I don't know if doing so would improve the situation. I'm
      wondering if, using Notetab clips or some other means, I could set up an
      automated process whereby a program would grab one address from a list,
      generate a message to that individual alone containing the newsletter and
      send it using Earthlink's smtp server, which is the only one I know of I
      have access to? Or can anybody else identify some solution whereby I can
      send out a legitimate newsletter to which people willingly and voluntarily
      subscribe and get it past the spam filters?

      Dean
      www.topdotenterprises.com
    • Don - htmlfixit.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 17, 2005
        dean martineau wrote:
        > I produce a small free weekly newsletter on adaptive technology, Top Tech
        > Tidbits for Thursday. I have around a thousand subscribers, and the
        > newsletter is greeted quite enthusiastically. The problem is that a small
        > but growing number of subscribers do not receive it. I assume this is
        > because itis mass-distributed by a mailman list at my site and that the
        > issues contain lots of links.
        >
        > I really don't want to mail it myself and handle the distribution list in
        > Eudora, and I don't know if doing so would improve the situation. I'm
        > wondering if, using Notetab clips or some other means, I could set up an
        > automated process whereby a program would grab one address from a list,
        > generate a message to that individual alone containing the newsletter and
        > send it using Earthlink's smtp server, which is the only one I know of I
        > have access to? Or can anybody else identify some solution whereby I can
        > send out a legitimate newsletter to which people willingly and voluntarily
        > subscribe and get it past the spam filters?
        >
        > Dean
        > www.topdotenterprises.com

        Hi Dean,

        Well that can be done. It is also very easy to do with word for example
        and a delimited list (as much as I dislike MS products). It will
        mailmerge individual emails. So with that built in there, why bother
        writing something here?

        If you are putting everyone in one big list of people, that is a key
        that you are mass mailing as you noted. You can create a group in
        eudora, outlook express or thunderbird of course, but those are very
        hard to manage.

        You might also look at a server side solutions. I have used and very
        much like Dada Mail (formerly MoJo Mail): http://mojo.skazat.com/
        PHP or perl also give many options for self made deals.

        What you really need to do however, is decide to go the blog format.
        Get Wordpress or equivalent installed, offer your readers an RSS feed.
        Then every time you publish, they get the RSS feed. You may still want
        to follow it with an email every now and then.

        As an alternative, consider making it a group on either yahoogroups
        (example this list) or google groups. You simply moderate everyone else
        so that they cannot respond to the group. If you don't want a server
        side solution, and don't mind an ad or two, then that is a great
        alternative.

        Don