Re: [gla: Re: [NTO] Send Webpage from Firefox to NoteTab

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 9, 2005
      Larry & any one else interested in Launchy

      Success :-) I noticed that a version 0.4.0 of Launchy had been released and
      retried getting NoteTab to work. The new version didn't make any difference
      but I figured out what my problem was - you probably corrected it without
      even noticing it or started from scratch in NoteTab and never ran into it.

      Somehow the launchy.xml file was getting created as format UTF-8

      When I turned on Launchy-Options-Advanced-Extended Debug info and opened the
      JavaScript console I found this error message:

      Launchy: Invalid launchy.xml file:
      XML Parsing Error: not well-formed Location:
      chrome://browser/content/browser.xul Line Number 1, Column 2:<?xml
      version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> -^

      Notice the three funny characters between "Column 2:" and "<?xml"
      I think this can probably be fixed in Notetab but I usually PSPad to fix it.

      Next problem was that at some point I had put quotes around the file specs
      which resulted in:

      Launchy: Invalid launchy.xml file. Didn't find application: <NoteProWork>
      type <7> at <"C:\Program Files\AmbPF\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe">

      After removing the erroneously added quotes, closing and opening Firefox for
      what seemed like the 100th time - voila - I can use launchy to Notetab (and
      to MetaPad which I added to try a "simple" one that didn't require an
      arguements string)!!!

      One thing I noticed is that Launchy puts in the Java Script console the
      Registry keys it looks for, for *all* the programs it attempts to
      auto-recognize. If I'd been unable to get Launchy to recognize launchy.xml I
      was going to "lie" and say put the path to notepro.exe in the registry key
      that's supposed to be used for one of the editors I don't have eg.

      Launchy: Looking for <TextPad> in <HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT> at
      <TextPad.tws\DefaultIcon>

      Fortunately, not neccessary - the only thing I'm missing is that Launchy
      shows the standard SwissFlag icon for NoteTab rather the special icon I use
      for my NoteTabWork instance using the special INI file referenced in the the
      arguments list.

      Regards ... Alec

      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 18, 2005
        Alec,

        I noticed on the Launchy homepage that he provides a link to help
        generate the XML file:

        http://gemal.dk/mozilla/launchy-xmlfile.html

        The three funny characters are related to Unicode. I reported that as a
        problem about 3 years ago. Until Eric fixed it, it would make NoteTab
        crash. Notepad, at least in Win2k & XP handles those characters with no
        problem. It probably depends on what editor created the file, or if
        Firefox added it, for some reason.