Re: [NTO] Monitor problem

  • hsavage
    Message 1 of 6 , May 31, 2005
      Hugo Paulissen wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > My monitor "collapses" every now and then, it started a couple of weeks
      > ago. The image is distorted, and only the center part is filled, as if
      > the image is sucked into the middle.
      >
      > [graphical representation]
      > ----------
      > |+\ /+|
      > |++| |++|
      > |+/ \+|
      > ----------
      >
      > I found out that if I tap on the side of the monitor the image is
      > restored. Is my monitor dying? Or can I do something about it?
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Hugo

      Hugo,

      You should probably start comparing prices!

      If the trouble can be corrected by the shock/vibration of tapping on the
      side of case it would seem to indicate a bad electrical/mechanical
      connection.

      If you had a circuit diagram for the monitor a good TV/electronics
      repairman might be of some help.

      It could be a connection on a discrete component or a bad solder joint
      on the circuit board.

      With a small soldering iron, appropriate static protection and a lot of
      time you might get lucky and find and fix the problem, but start
      comparing prices anyway!

      ºvº
      05.05.31
      hrs > hsavage@...
    • John Zeman
      Message 2 of 6 , May 31, 2005
        I agree with hrs. I sort of grew up in a TV repair shop so I know some of the symptoms of a dying CRT, and yours has them Hugo. I wouldn't even mess with trying to fix it, I'd start shopping around.

        John

        --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, hsavage <hsavage@p...> wrote:
        > Hugo Paulissen wrote:
        >
        > > Hello,
        > >
        > > My monitor "collapses" every now and then, it started a couple of weeks
        > > ago. The image is distorted, and only the center part is filled, as if
        > > the image is sucked into the middle.
        > >
        > > [graphical representation]
        > > ----------
        > > |+\ /+|
        > > |++| |++|
        > > |+/ \+|
        > > ----------
        > >
        > > I found out that if I tap on the side of the monitor the image is
        > > restored. Is my monitor dying? Or can I do something about it?
        > >
        > > Regards,
        > >
        > > Hugo
        >
        > Hugo,
        >
        > You should probably start comparing prices!
        >
        > If the trouble can be corrected by the shock/vibration of tapping on the
        > side of case it would seem to indicate a bad electrical/mechanical
        > connection.
        >
        > If you had a circuit diagram for the monitor a good TV/electronics
        > repairman might be of some help.
        >
        > It could be a connection on a discrete component or a bad solder joint
        > on the circuit board.
        >
        > With a small soldering iron, appropriate static protection and a lot of
        > time you might get lucky and find and fix the problem, but start
        > comparing prices anyway!
        >
        > ºvº
        > 05.05.31
        > hrs > hsavage@p...
      • David Smart
        Message 3 of 6 , May 31, 2005
          From my own comparison shopping recently, it is now cheaper to buy a new 17" monitor than to have one repaired. If your monitor is bigger than this, it may well be cheaper to repair than replace, but for this size or smaller, expect to replace.

          If you do want to look at repair, make sure you get a firm quote before leaving the monitor.

          Dave S

          > My monitor "collapses" every now and then, it started a couple of weeks
          > ago. The image is distorted, and only the center part is filled, as if
          > the image is sucked into the middle.
          >
          > [graphical representation]
          > ----------
          > |+\ /+|
          > |++| |++|
          > |+/ \+|
          > ----------
          >
          > I found out that if I tap on the side of the monitor the image is
          > restored. Is my monitor dying? Or can I do something about it?
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Hugo

          Hugo,

          You should probably start comparing prices!

          If the trouble can be corrected by the shock/vibration of tapping on the
          side of case it would seem to indicate a bad electrical/mechanical
          connection.

          If you had a circuit diagram for the monitor a good TV/electronics
          repairman might be of some help.

          It could be a connection on a discrete component or a bad solder joint
          on the circuit board.

          With a small soldering iron, appropriate static protection and a lot of
          time you might get lucky and find and fix the problem, but start
          comparing prices anyway!

          �v�
          05.05.31
          hrs > hsavage@...

        • Hugo Paulissen
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 9, 2005
            HRS, John, David,

            > You should probably start comparing prices!

            Thanks for your comments about my monitor. I did have a look, and
            decided to wait until the monitor really died...

            But I also asked the system-administrator at work if he had a spare
            monitor (we are switching to TFT-screens now); guess what? I got an
            Iiyama 17 inch CRT. What a fine picture! The quality (compared with my
            Dell) is much better: even my wife spotted the difference instantly!

            Thanks,

            Hugo
          • Don - htmlfixit.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 9, 2005
              > But I also asked the system-administrator at work if he had a spare
              > monitor (we are switching to TFT-screens now); guess what? I got an
              > Iiyama 17 inch CRT. What a fine picture! The quality (compared with my
              > Dell) is much better: even my wife spotted the difference instantly!
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Hugo

              a bunch of us might put in a day or two working there if it would net us
              out that well