Monitor problem

  • Hugo Paulissen
    Message 1 of 6 , May 31, 2005
      Hello,

      My monitor "collapses" every now and then, it started a couple of weeks
      ago. The image is distorted, and only the center part is filled, as if
      the image is sucked into the middle.

      [graphical representation]
      ----------
      |+\ /+|
      |++| |++|
      |+/ \+|
      ----------

      I found out that if I tap on the side of the monitor the image is
      restored. Is my monitor dying? Or can I do something about it?

      Regards,

      Hugo
    • hsavage
      Message 2 of 6 , May 31, 2005
        Hugo Paulissen wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > My monitor "collapses" every now and then, it started a couple of weeks
        > ago. The image is distorted, and only the center part is filled, as if
        > the image is sucked into the middle.
        >
        > [graphical representation]
        > ----------
        > |+\ /+|
        > |++| |++|
        > |+/ \+|
        > ----------
        >
        > I found out that if I tap on the side of the monitor the image is
        > restored. Is my monitor dying? Or can I do something about it?
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Hugo

        Hugo,

        You should probably start comparing prices!

        If the trouble can be corrected by the shock/vibration of tapping on the
        side of case it would seem to indicate a bad electrical/mechanical
        connection.

        If you had a circuit diagram for the monitor a good TV/electronics
        repairman might be of some help.

        It could be a connection on a discrete component or a bad solder joint
        on the circuit board.

        With a small soldering iron, appropriate static protection and a lot of
        time you might get lucky and find and fix the problem, but start
        comparing prices anyway!

        ºvº
        05.05.31
        hrs > hsavage@...
      • John Zeman
        Message 3 of 6 , May 31, 2005
          I agree with hrs. I sort of grew up in a TV repair shop so I know some of the symptoms of a dying CRT, and yours has them Hugo. I wouldn't even mess with trying to fix it, I'd start shopping around.

          John

          --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, hsavage <hsavage@p...> wrote:
          > Hugo Paulissen wrote:
          >
          > > Hello,
          > >
          > > My monitor "collapses" every now and then, it started a couple of weeks
          > > ago. The image is distorted, and only the center part is filled, as if
          > > the image is sucked into the middle.
          > >
          > > [graphical representation]
          > > ----------
          > > |+\ /+|
          > > |++| |++|
          > > |+/ \+|
          > > ----------
          > >
          > > I found out that if I tap on the side of the monitor the image is
          > > restored. Is my monitor dying? Or can I do something about it?
          > >
          > > Regards,
          > >
          > > Hugo
          >
          > Hugo,
          >
          > You should probably start comparing prices!
          >
          > If the trouble can be corrected by the shock/vibration of tapping on the
          > side of case it would seem to indicate a bad electrical/mechanical
          > connection.
          >
          > If you had a circuit diagram for the monitor a good TV/electronics
          > repairman might be of some help.
          >
          > It could be a connection on a discrete component or a bad solder joint
          > on the circuit board.
          >
          > With a small soldering iron, appropriate static protection and a lot of
          > time you might get lucky and find and fix the problem, but start
          > comparing prices anyway!
          >
          > ºvº
          > 05.05.31
          > hrs > hsavage@p...
        • David Smart
          Message 4 of 6 , May 31, 2005
            From my own comparison shopping recently, it is now cheaper to buy a new 17" monitor than to have one repaired. If your monitor is bigger than this, it may well be cheaper to repair than replace, but for this size or smaller, expect to replace.

            If you do want to look at repair, make sure you get a firm quote before leaving the monitor.

            Dave S

            > My monitor "collapses" every now and then, it started a couple of weeks
            > ago. The image is distorted, and only the center part is filled, as if
            > the image is sucked into the middle.
            >
            > [graphical representation]
            > ----------
            > |+\ /+|
            > |++| |++|
            > |+/ \+|
            > ----------
            >
            > I found out that if I tap on the side of the monitor the image is
            > restored. Is my monitor dying? Or can I do something about it?
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > Hugo

            Hugo,

            You should probably start comparing prices!

            If the trouble can be corrected by the shock/vibration of tapping on the
            side of case it would seem to indicate a bad electrical/mechanical
            connection.

            If you had a circuit diagram for the monitor a good TV/electronics
            repairman might be of some help.

            It could be a connection on a discrete component or a bad solder joint
            on the circuit board.

            With a small soldering iron, appropriate static protection and a lot of
            time you might get lucky and find and fix the problem, but start
            comparing prices anyway!

            �v�
            05.05.31
            hrs > hsavage@...

          • Hugo Paulissen
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 9, 2005
              HRS, John, David,

              > You should probably start comparing prices!

              Thanks for your comments about my monitor. I did have a look, and
              decided to wait until the monitor really died...

              But I also asked the system-administrator at work if he had a spare
              monitor (we are switching to TFT-screens now); guess what? I got an
              Iiyama 17 inch CRT. What a fine picture! The quality (compared with my
              Dell) is much better: even my wife spotted the difference instantly!

              Thanks,

              Hugo
            • Don - htmlfixit.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 9, 2005
                > But I also asked the system-administrator at work if he had a spare
                > monitor (we are switching to TFT-screens now); guess what? I got an
                > Iiyama 17 inch CRT. What a fine picture! The quality (compared with my
                > Dell) is much better: even my wife spotted the difference instantly!
                >
                > Thanks,
                >
                > Hugo

                a bunch of us might put in a day or two working there if it would net us
                out that well